Thread: Dichro help please

Default Dichro help please

So I get my 300w RGB Brick aligned the best I can. All looks great apart from loads of specular halos from all colours. Hmm clean the optics me thinks. Gets my First Contact on my mirrors (Galvo and dichroics), leaves it the recommended time. Peels of the Galvo mirrors a treat. Goes to peel from the Dichros, pulls the mirrors off the mounts (The Dichroic surface seems intact)!

So, I have nice clean mirrors (I got the First Contact off after they came off the mounts) but now have to stick them back to the brass micro flex mounts (they are smaller than the standard flex mounts) and I will have to realign them all over again.

What is best to stick the dichros to the brass? And should I recoat the mirrors with First Contact to protect them while glueing?

Edit: Seem I was mistaken about the dichroic surfaces being intact, They're not! Seems the glass came away from the coatings and has left the coatings stuck to the mounts. Can I just glue them back as is or should I remove the coatings from the mounts first?
    Last edited by WolfMax; 02-01-2014 at 08:13. Reason: Mistake
    Cheers

Colin.

Anyone wanting to be a politician, should automatically be excluded from being one!

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

use 5 minute AB epoxy to stick the optics to the mounts.

but it sounds like you probably need to start by getting new optics.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMax View Post
    So I get my 300w RGB Brick aligned the best I can. All looks great apart from loads of specular halos from all colours. Hmm clean the optics me thinks. Gets my First Contact on my mirrors (Galvo and dichroics), leaves it the recommended time. Peels of the Galvo mirrors a treat. Goes to peel from the Dichros, pulls the mirrors off the mounts (The Dichroic surface seems intact)!

So, I have nice clean mirrors (I got the First Contact off after they came off the mounts) but now have to stick them back to the brass micro flex mounts (they are smaller than the standard flex mounts) and I will have to realign them all over again.

What is best to stick the dichros to the brass? And should I recoat the mirrors with First Contact to protect them while glueing?

Edit: Seem I was mistaken about the dichroic surfaces being intact, They're not! Seems the glass came away from the coatings and has left the coatings stuck to the mounts. Can I just glue them back as is or should I remove the coatings from the mounts first?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Thanks for that.
    You might be right about the optics but as it is for my modded KAM laserscan with an RGB brick module, I'll try and see how it goes.
    Cheers

Colin.

Anyone wanting to be a politician, should automatically be excluded from being one!

Did you by chance get the red first contact? I ripped the mirror coat off my scanner mirror. This starting to sound like something is wrong with this batch of first contact. I've NEVER heard anyone until you and I that had a problem like this.

Well it was the Red First Contact, but it didn't rip the coating off. As I was applying it, the dichro broke away from the mount (and I wasn't using any discernible pressure) and on inspection I found the glass was intact but the coating was missing and was still stuck to the mount. Used some Araldite Quick 2 part epoxy and stuck the dichro on with the coating still on the mount (so I glued the glass to the coating) and normal service was restored.
    I actually coated the dichros with First Contact prior to gluing them, then removed it after the glue had set. Came off easy, nice clean mirrors!
    Cheers

Colin.

sounds like you put the dichro side on the glue. I usually do it with the clean glass side to the metal. I think what happened is the glue entered the fc surface and turned the whole thing into glue so when you went to remove it, it took the surface with it. My situation was with the mirror out with fc on it. I must have missed a spot and when I used the tape to remove it, it pulled the mirror surface off from the direct contact. needless to say I won't be doing that again! Next time it's just solvent and drag.

My mounts were from a small Pre built RGB module so if they were glued coating side to the metal, it was done in the factory. I then purposely glued the mirror the same way round so the piece of coating on the mount would fit into the space it left on the mirror (same on the other one too). I'll admit to never considering the coating was on one side and have my mirrors backwards as a result. I did however use FC on both sides without adverse affect but maybe I was lucky. I can only suggest in future don't go right to the edges of the dichro with fc just do enough surface to cover the beam spot + a bit.
    Cheers

Colin.