Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DT40Pro, EMS 8000 or wait for Scannermax 506s

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I don't get it. Were there scanners better than PT or DT that cost less? The PT 40s ARE pretty good for $250. How did Pango eat them?

I think the times are better now. If the 506s push down the price of the CN clones that's good. If EMS is pressured to improve their website and constantly improve their scanners at competitive prices then that's good.
    I wasn't speaking about chinese competition, but rather european other brands, which cannot cut much on the workmanship to decrease costs as chinese do.

And comparing Pango to EMS is quite unfair, first Pango is I guess at least 10x bigger than Eyemagic, and furthermore scanners are only a small part (brand new part!) of their already fruitful activities so they don't need to make much profit from that, they can even sell at loss in the beginning to win the market... so it could easily turn into "not that fair" competition...

This being said, I welcome all the engineering behing these new Pango scanners which looks really promising, and will represent a great improvement of our industry!

Fair, unfair, it's all in the eye of the beholder... Haters will be haters. Fanboys will be fanboys. Those with scarcity mentality will largely retain their scarcity mentality. That's mostly what I see in the last several posts.

The fact of the matter is that everyone else is making scanners in a conventional way, originally invented nearly 40 years ago. When everyone is doing the same thing, then they are governed by the bottom-line costs of doing it that way. So there is a real-and-true rock bottom beneath which you can not go.

We found a better way to build the mouse trap, which is also coincidentally less expensive. Soon substantially all projectors manufacturers will have the opportunity to use scanners capable of projecting good quality graphics, wide, and at 30K, at a reduced price due to the improved manufacturing technique.

Isn't that called progress?

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 02-09-2014 at 23:41.

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    There are tons of issues with windows and everyone complains about it.........
    You know what, 10 years ago I'd have agreed with you.

Now I wouldn't.

I had 1 blue screen in all the time I ran Vista circa 2007.

I've had no failures of Windows of any kind since adopting Windows 7 64 bit. I use my pc daily for anything up to 18 hours max and probably 8 hours min, and in the 4 or 5 years since Windows 7 launched, not a single freeze, pause, crash or other issue.

I know developers don't like Windows because of some driver implementations eg MIDI drivers and the changes that were made to sound drivers.

However, as an end user, I personally find Windows a lot more user friendly than Apple because it's intuitive and easy to use.

Does that make it the best system? Not necessarily. But it makes it the easiest and these days (and for several years now) it is also just reliable as OS-X.

The only thing that will make me leave Windows is further development down the path of Windows 8 as I love the desktop and hate the tablet appearance as there's no other reason to leave an easy to use that system that's 100% dependable these days.

scanners are only a small part (brand new part!) of their already fruitful activities so they don't need to make much profit from that, they can even sell at loss in the beginning to win the market
    I am neither a fan nor a hater. I am observing this development in the scanner market. I think it is pointless to fear a monopolistic takeover of the industry by Pangolin, at this point. And so, I ask this question; is it more fair or beneficial if there is a superior way to manufacture a product (and it works) and access to it is limited by exorbitant pricing or limited production? What is Pangolin supposed to do? What are we supposed to do?

I wasn't speaking of competition only from CN, but competition from anywhere. Let's just wait and see.

Thumbs up upvote for PT-40's

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Yeah but does a PT40 deliver Cambridge performance at 30K? I doubt it!
    Have you actually looked at a set of PT40's?

I own 6 sets of them. 4 sets are already installed in projectors, with two more mounted to baseplates awaiting the completion of the rest of the projectors.

Although I have only been running them for 3 months, I am AMAZED at their performance. They are superior to my DT-40 pro's, and although I haven't compared them side-by-side with the DT-40 wides yet (that will have to wait until FLEM), I strongly suspect that they will be at least as good, if not better.

I don't have a set of cambridge scanners to compare them to either, but if you consider DT-40's to be "cambrige performance", then the PT-40's meet that goal handily.

Bottom line: the PT40's would be my choice HANDS DOWN over the DT-40's, even if the PT's were twice the price. But at only $250, they're a no-brainer. You just can't lose.

True, the new Pangolin 506 scanners will probably change all this. But I needed my scanners in November; I couldn't wait. Maybe I'll swap them out when the 506's are ready. But for now, the PT-40's are fantastic, and the price is unbelievable.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post

Bottom line: the PT40's would be my choice HANDS DOWN over the DT-40's, even if the PT's were twice the price. But at only $250, they're a no-brainer. You just can't lose.

Adam
    Alright Buffo you convinced me. I am pulling the trigger on a set of PT-40s. I have been waiting for the 506s but with the time frame laid out by Bill I will be ready for another set of scanners by then (Hopefully at a GB price). In the mean time I need to get better quality out of my graphics shows and the 20Kpps just isn't cutting it. Who knows how long the PTs will last but if they can at least get me through till 506s become common place I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    Alright Buffo you convinced me. I am pulling the trigger on a set of PT-40s. I have been waiting for the 506s but with the time frame laid out by Bill I will be ready for another set of scanners by then (Hopefully at a GB price). In the mean time I need to get better quality out of my graphics shows and the 20Kpps just isn't cutting it. Who knows how long the PTs will last but if they can at least get me through till 506s become common place I'll be happy.
    I'm sure you'll be happy with this new version of the PT-40s, Salty. I have a couple sets of the older version of the PT-40s and a few sets of the newer ones with more on the way. The older ones didn't last that long when abused a bit (bearing failure it appears), but the new version may fair better. At $300 including shipping, we could almost consider them a disposable commodity.

That said, I am still looking forward to getting at least a couple pairs of 506's when they are available. Cool running, tough, wide scanning with big mirrors will be an awesome upgrade from dt30s for my beam boxes.

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

I agree with David... When the 506's are available, I have a feeling they will beat just about everything else on the market in the sub-$1000 price range. I'll probably upgrade a few of my older projectors to the 506's at that point.

But until then, you really can't go wrong with the PT-40's if you need galvos now.

ADam

Hello,

I would like to purchase 506s (or Saturns), but would like to get something for my new build now.

Where are people buying PT-40s? Who is the preferred vendor?

ED

Spacelas is who I believe makes them. You can purchase directly through them to get the cheapest price. Or at least the cheapest price I have found. It is slightly higher than 300 with shipping etc. but still cheaper than DT-40s which are 450 or so.

http://shop.spacelas.com/40k-high-sp...pps-p-243.html

If anyone has a better resource please let us know. I have not pulled the trigger yet but will do so in the next few days. I think China may still be on holiday anyway so it may takes a little extra time to get them.