Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DT40Pro, EMS 8000 or wait for Scannermax 506s

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I'll also add a thumbs up for the PT-40's. I have 7 sets all working fine. Honestly, although I have them, I don't use my DT-40 Pros enough to give an educated comparison. I love DT40 wides though and I'm hoping that the Compact 506's can match them and let me spread a beam show out as wide as the DT40wides. I have a fairly short throw between the back wall of the ballroom and dance floor so the wider I can get beam cues to display, the better. I swear the 40wides can go in excess of 90 degrees when necessary. (Assuming we are using the same definition of 90 degrees.) I'n not certain the Compacts are really designed for the same thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    Spacelas is who I believe makes them. You can purchase directly through them to get the cheapest price. Or at least the cheapest price I have found. It is slightly higher than 300 with shipping etc. but still cheaper than DT-40s which are 450 or so.

http://shop.spacelas.com/40k-high-sp...pps-p-243.html

If anyone has a better resource please let us know. I have not pulled the trigger yet but will do so in the next few days. I think China may still be on holiday anyway so it may takes a little extra time to get them.
    The PT's we are referring to are made by Phenix Technology (yes, spelled correctly). You can get them from Phenix directly I believe or, you can also buy them from Lightspace. I don't believe the scanners sold by Spacelas with the same name of PT-40 are the same scanner. I could be wrong on that point but, I'm fairly sure that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    The PT's we are referring to are made by Phenix Technology (yes, spelled correctly). You can get them from Phenix directly I believe or, you can also buy them from Lightspace. I don't believe the scanners sold by Spacelas with the same name of PT-40 are the same scanner. I could be wrong on that point but, I'm fairly sure that's the case.
    I stand corrected. Spacelas did not produce the PT-40s.

The pictures on the Spacelas website look the same as Phenix website. They also tout the 60Kpps possibilities with scanners which led me to believe they are the same ones we are talking about. I could not find a direct link on Phenix website to purchase the scanners though. I sent an email to Sales but I usually feel more secure when dealing with a website purchase rather than an email purchase. Anyone have a direct link for the Phenix website or did you guys order them through sales@phenixtechnology.com?

Hello,

Thank you "SaltyRobot" and "Bradfo69".

I am torn because, just after I buy something the next best thing comes out. That is what I feel will happen if I don't wait for the 506s.

I have been in contact with "Dave" at laser show parts regarding the DT40Pros. I have an e-mail into Phenix also about the PT-40s. I was hoping to get something together for FLEM.

Maybe Bill from Pangolin will stop by and give us a better idea of the time frame for the 506s.

At this point I think I am just going to wait until after FLEM, and depending what I hear, possibly just order a set of DT40Pros when I get home.

ED

I think everyone here got theirs from Lightspace. You can PM Omar here on the forum for them. http://www.eightonlight.cn/products/.../0621/120.html

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Microsoft is the biggest software company and using another brand is very hard since they are the market leader
    I recently switched from Microsoft (and that POS Win8) to Ubuntu and it wasn't in the slightest bit hard, quite the opposite
    A little bit werrrr, a little bit weyyyyyy, a little bit arrrrgggghhh

I agree with bradfo69 about the performance of the PT40s. They really do work well. I have 2 pair and no problems so far. However, they are substantially lower in performance than the EMS 8000 I tried recently (costs 6x as much, though). The significant advantage of an available 8mm mirror and the 15 degree cant with the 506 will allow it to handle a larger beam than either the DT or PT without spill. Bill mentioned he expects the 506 availability to follow the Saturn availability with the 506 SYSTEM being ready around April. I would wait if you can.

Brad thanks for pointing me toward Omar. Its saving me 40 bucks and it seems more secure than any other method. That means I already have 40 saved towards the 506s when they are ready. So Bill that just means I need what, $500 more and I'll be good to get a set with the new driver board?

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post

I don't have a set of cambridge scanners to compare them to either, but if you consider DT-40's to be "cambrige performance", then the PT-40's meet that goal handily.
    DT-40's are far from Cambridge performance in opinion. I've only seen them in another members projector some time ago after they changed DT-40's for Cambridge 60K and straight away I was struck by how much cleaner the beams looked. Multicoloured fans had really sharp discrete colour edging with no bleed. Probably would never had noticed it if I hadn't have seen the DT's in the same projector a few weeks before. However, having seen both, it was like night and day.

I can't tell you what the difference was but at a guess I'd say, reproducibility - the Cambridge were probably scanning the same location in the fan exactly each time with each colour without any drift or wobble whereas my best guess is the DT's weren't as precise.

So far as the 506's go, I've only heard the advertising blurb that they perform like Cambridge at 30K, although now doubt some people will be testing them soon with the Digital Amps which will provide the real quality answers. I think it's a little unfair to compare them atm with modded standard amps from other manufacturers, as the quality of signal may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. However, I've not known Pangolin to exaggerate scanner claims so again I'm going to guess they're likely to be there or there abouts. ATM though, a perfect display at 8 degrees and even above, and a near perfect display at 50 degrees looks very unbeatable, especially at the price. No doubt it will all come out in the wash.

Your welcome. You should be very pleased with Lightspace and Omar. Shipping will likely be crazy fast too!

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    Brad thanks for pointing me toward Omar. Its saving me 40 bucks and it seems more secure than any other method. That means I already have 40 saved towards the 506s when they are ready. So Bill that just means I need what, $500 more and I'll be good to get a set with the new driver board?