Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DT40Pro, EMS 8000 or wait for Scannermax 506s

Default DT40Pro, EMS 8000 or wait for Scannermax 506s

Hello,

I am ready to purchase another set of scanners. I am looking for guidance on whether I should buy DT40Pros now (or maybe EMS 8000s) or wait for the Scannermax 506's.

I am looking for a good quality, new, scan set. I don't know much about the EMS 8000s but I am aware of the price difference between them and DT40Pros.

I have a budget of about $1500 for the scanners and drivers.

Looking for suggestions and comments.

Thank you in advance,

ED

It looks like pretty much nothing touches the 506's at 30K.

Norty and Mixed Gas on here have these scanners for independent evaluation and no doubt will be reporting shortly.

The Scannermax Saturns promise much higher performance than the 506's especially when the Digital Amp comes along.

Personally I'd wait therefore.

You can still buy DT or EMS if you don't like what Pangolin have to offer although having seen the 506 video, I doubt that would be the case, as it's very impressive.

look at the news today of 120kps possibility! That means 70-100 kps at usable angles is coming. I'd wait. Correction I am waiting!

Hello,

Thanks guys. It looks like I should wait, and that it will be worth it.

I have been following the "Scannermax 506s" thread with great interest. Like many other people, I would buy them right now if I could.

Do you think they will fit in my budget of $1500? Any idea of when they may be available?

ED

Hi Ed,

Hehe, you'll be able to buy several Compact 506 for $1500. You'd be able to get into a set of our Saturn 1 with DSP amp for that price!

Bill

Hello Bill,

That's great news!

If there is a waiting list, sign me up!

I have read everything I can find on the "Compact 506" (Scannermax?), but haven't seen much on the "Saturn 1 with DSP". Where can I (and PL members) find out more about them?

I am interested in both.

ED

I suspect that the 506 will perform as well as the EMS 8000. It may be a little better or a little worse, but the EMS 8000 that I evaluated was virtually flawless at 30K at 35 degrees by 25 degrees. There was obvious beam wiggle and tracking error at the 1/2 mrad level @ 42K and this same angle. That is 6mm of additional beam width at 12 meters. You need very good beams to see this.

However...the 506's are nearly ready and the price sounds far, far better than what I paid for the 8000's (about $1,400). The Saturns have a longer rotor than the 506's and can develop several times as much torque and therefore several times as much acceleration and deceleration. As the mirror mass increases the longer shaft's twist under load will begin to become a limitation compared with the same diameter, but shorter shaft of the 506. So if you need really big mirrors then the 506 would probably be a better choice for the lower cost yet, for small to medium size mirrors in the 3-6mm clear aperture range I believe the Saturn scanners will blow away EVERYTHING else out there and I saw EVERYTHING else out there @ Photonics West.

I would consider several small projectors with 506 scanners or one larger projector with a 5mm clear aperture Saturn. I would still advise this even if the Saturn did not also have fully digital, software tuning.

I do not think you will find out any more than what you already know. Pangolin will reveal what they have as soon as there is more hard data. I think you will just have to be patient. I will go out on a limb here and predict that you will be able to buy the 506 within a couple of months and the first Saturns within 6 months. I have no inside information. This is just a guess based on their progress and the condition of the early models.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Hi Ed,

Hehe, you'll be able to buy several Compact 506 for $1500. You'd be able to get into a set of our Saturn 1 with DSP amp for that price!

Bill
    If by "several" we take it to mean at least 7, then can we assume a unit price of $214 per scanner (1500/7) or less? Or by 'Compact 506' were you referring to a set rather than just 1 scanner? In which case the price would be amazing!!
    Cheers

Colin.

Anyone wanting to be a politician, should automatically be excluded from being one!

I interpret several to mean at least 3 and I think everyone is talking about a system ie two motors,mirrors and driver channels along with a mounting block. The 506 will be a game changer and not primarily because of laser projectors. There are a lot of industries a couple of which are exploding that need scanners in very large quantities and at CN clone pricing.

Personally, I am more interested in the Saturns because if you are willing to spend at CT or probably even EMS prices you will probably be able to get 506 performance. But nowhere other than maybe some defense skunk-works will you be able to get Saturn performance.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Hi Ed,

Bill

FINALLY!!! That's all I was looking for was a really "rough" estimate. I was worried the Saturn 1's would be like $2,500 a set.

Thanks Bill!