Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LK-PD2 with DMX hardware

Default LK-PD2 options with hardware

I ordered a PD2 and was wondering if anyone had used with with any of the common and basic controllers.

I'm not going software at the moment because 1. I used a desktop MacPro, 2. It's old and I'm not upgrading my whole rig at the moment.

My experience is more in traditional light art, psychedelic light shows, kinetic wheels, etc. so I'm kind of a hands on guy and this is my first slightly more grown up (not made by one of dj companies) lasers

I appreciate any advice, particularly if anyone has some specific hardware experience.
    Tommy
    Last edited by Revmutt; 01-01-2014 at 15:20. Reason: thread title

PM coming------

I'm sorry I can't change the header on this.

So despite my not wanting to go down the computer route for a number of reasons I feel like I am probably doing myself a disservice not spending some time screwing around in ILDA land.

So here are the wants and issues. I would like an inexpensive ILDA box that hopefully is going to supported by a wide range of software. I am a Mac guy and probably will do something with Max / MSP but I would like to take an old junker PC laptop (either a p4 or duo) and try out some stuff.

Bottom line:
    1. Need a recommendation for a box to connection via ILDA to a computer.
    2. Suggestions of freeware applications to at least load up other people's shows and start tweaking them.

Thanks,
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Revmutt View Post
    I'm sorry I can't change the header on this.

Not sure but I think you can edit that ONLY after clicking 'go advance'

So despite my not wanting to go down the computer route for a number of reasons I feel like I am probably doing myself a disservice not spending some time screwing around in ILDA land.

So here are the wants and issues. I would like an inexpensive ILDA box that hopefully is going to supported by a wide range of software. I am a Mac guy and probably will do something with Max / MSP but I would like to take an old junker PC laptop (either a p4 or duo) and try out some stuff.

OUCH afaik Mac users have few if any options-some i know still use their Macs, but bought a good but used PC laptop for their laser needs...I assume the 'LDA box' you refer to is a DAC (digital -analog -converter) there are none that work on more than a few softs and some that ONLY work with just one or two. The 'other' box would be a DMX controller with the highly recommended ENTEC Pro (interface?) Quick Show can be used with these.

Bottom line:
    1. Need a recommendation for a box to connection via ILDA to a computer.
    2. Suggestions of freeware applications to at least load up other people's shows and start tweaking them.

Laserboy is free.. do a search on that or reach out to James Lehman the creator..

I- show is low cost and comes with both the DAC and the needed ILDA cable(but short)- If you like i can lend you mine to try out.. some are quite happy with I -Show and others ... not so much. Also there is 5paghetti not expensive but you get the DAC elsewhere--

Thanks,[
    Tommy
    YOUR WELCOME

Thanks Hak

I am inclined to save up for LSX although I will have to do do e research. Between the multiple versions and interfaces, it seems the best best.

I'm assuming that this software is not going to need the most powerful computer.
    In part I'm leaning towards this software because of the videos swami has done.

Tommy
    Last edited by Revmutt; 12-27-2013 at 18:00.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Hi,

Be aware that LSX is windows only, so you'd need a PC. It's not a heavy program, but its performance will depend on your system. It's adviced to use at least a dual core processor as LSX renders the laser output in a separate thread: in case the main program lags laser output will continue smoothly.

I don't think the iShow DAC is compatible with LSX (but I'm not sure, it's not on the list on the website anyway). Also, it appears the default program with iShow is very limited, buggy and hard to use.

Do you have an idea about a DAC? With LSX, there are two main options: Riya and Etherdream. Riya Lite is decent and low cost. Etherdream is a little more expensive, but very capable and lots of options (like a DMX addon board so you can control the scan-thru effects of the LK-PD2). If you don't like either, there are other options of course, like the very nice Easylase.

One last thing is that LSX has great functionability, but at the cost of a learning curve. Swami's shows are the result of hours and hours of messing around and creativity. There is no "gimme great abstract" button. Swami often humbly says he just mashes buttons until pretty light comes out, but he presses a *lot* of buttons. I don't want to discourage you, but just want to prevent disappointment. For me, LSX has been a fun and joyous ride, and even after a few years I still discover ways to do things I previously thought were impossible, or hard to do.
    Some guy on youtube made a video tutorial series, might want to check it out if you haven't already: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POrAv...ledsHYM-2bxwPd

.........most at the LSX demo by Swami at SELEM 2013 were awed- He was creating original stuff and made it look easy but I know better- For some, including me, owning LSX and a product from Pangolin BOTH makes choosing a non-issue. - hak
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 12-29-2013 at 10:49. Reason: i stand corrected --

Can't you run LSX in a virtual machine on Mac?
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    I believe that's the way Swamidog runs LSX, so perhaps he can provide some details.

Revmutt: I am sure you'll be happy with your LK-PD2 and LSX if you decide to purchase that. Assuming you keep the "laser bug", you will eventually want an analog laser (TTL only has 7 colors) with faster scan rates. Thankfully, you can upgrade the LK-PD2 with a little effort. I upgraded my LK-PD2 over a weekend a while back to be analog modulation and better scanners. I will post details on a separate thread soon for anyone who is considering upgrading their LK-PD2.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Yes. I do that on my Mac laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.