Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Entec USB Pro (I or II)

I don't think anyone is talking about them interchangeably.
    the MIDI discussion came about because Galvonaut asked this in post #9

That sounds promising. Is it possible to control multiple programs with a single Midi device?
    As Keith says, he wants to control potentially more than 1 output device/software (e.g. LSX for lasers and Freestyler for lighting) with a single MIDI device.

We did the MagicQ bit in Keith's other thread here

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...with-QS-or-LSX
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Actually, I don't think too many folks here are interchanging MIDI with DMX ~
    Several of us here are also well-versed in both.

MIDI and DMX are NOT mutually exclusive in the world of laser entertainment.

Many of the current full-featured laser control suites are MIDI-enabled to allow the use of the numerous available MIDI controllers to control the laser software. Pangolin Beyond is probably at the top of the stack in that respect, especially with their support for the Akai APC-40 MIDI controller and it's tight integration within Beyond.

Additionally, many laser suites are DMX-enabled, allowing the laser software to control, or be controlled by, external DMX gear. Pangolin, LSX, and other laser-control suites are fully equipped to take advantage of both protocols simultaneously.

For those not operating on a professional scale & budget (voice of experience here), using an affordable MIDI controller and DMX interface with the laser control suite is a great way to manage multiple laser projectors and DMX lighting fixtures without the need, expense, or space requirement of a completely separate DMX lighting control rig. Probably not the solution you would look for in a professional production, but for a mobile or small-crew operation, it could be ideal.

Also, if you look around at different DMX control suites currently available, you'll find that many are also MIDI-enabled, so you don't necessarily require a dedicated & often pricey DMX controller to control the lighting, even if using software dedicated to DMX control.

Randy

PS -

Like Norty & Galvonaut said...
    Last edited by Stuka; 02-06-2014 at 09:06.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    Sounds fun BlueFang.

I'm going to try and stick with physical control for the time being - there is something nice about it. Besides, I don't have an iphad.

I can see that there is a lot of flexibility with running midi and dmx on a computer rather than hardware only solutions. Lots of potential for hacking things together by the sound of it.

Keith
    And once you see how the basics work, you'll be amazed at how much you can control from a single laptop using a combination of DMX and MIDI.

Good stuff ~
    Welcome to another piece of the money pit!!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity6 View Post

GET THE ENTTEC USB DMX PRO. Period.
    I vote for this, or something that works with the Enttec driver. They're compatible with literally everything. There is even a Processing library!

I saw the first mention of MIDI in post #9, but nothing after about DMX, or using DMX and MIDI together. I agree with everything being said here.

I'm mainly a lighting guy who has just added lasers to the rig, so I know DMX well. The approach I am initially experimenting with is to use my Enttec DMX Pro configured as a DMX input to Quickshow. Then, the ILDA laser(s) will appear to my lighting console as another DMX fixture, alongside my Mobolazer, PAR cans, intelligent lights, strobes, etc. I can then control my lights and lasers with a single control surface, in my case a lighting console.

With a DMX controller (or software) that listens to MIDI, the same thing can be done the way you describe, Keith, using a MIDI keyboard controller as your single control surface. And much as I personally dislike the application, Freestyler will get you there faster than MagicQ, will probably work perfectly for you, and may be all you need in DMX software.

The possibilities are endless - I've even seen video guys map commands to their video software (such as Arkaos) from a MIDI keyboard.

We all agree to get the Enttec USB Pro, this is good. The Open USB DMX is bad because it doesn't have its own clock source, gets CLK over USB, so often has timing and lockup issues.

Not to mention that Open USB (along with a number of other interfaces) won't work with MagicQ post 1.5.4.0 I believe, which is about when MagicDMX came out
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Well, in fact, I have this one: http://dmxking.com/usbdmx/ultradmxmicro, hence me talking about "something that works with the Enttec driver"
    It's cheaper, and appears to work very well (but my room rig is very limited so can't really comment). The description even highlights this statement: "Microprocessor controls DMX512 timing - no flicker problems like the "Open" and clones."

By the way, I managed to get my MIDI controller to talk to the DMX interface, combined with a Leap Motion... in about 340 lines of code. Processing is fun

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    And once you see how the basics work, you'll be amazed at how much you can control from a single laptop using a combination of DMX and MIDI.

Good stuff ~
    Welcome to another piece of the money pit!!!
    I can see.... I've had my little midi keyboard for a few hours and am already mapping shows to it in LSX. If all software is as flexible with midi as LSX is I will be a happy boy!
    I'll start a new thread on the subject if I can't find one already ....... I want more buttons and sliders now!!

Keith