Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK Scrim (Skeeta Scrim equivalent)?

Default UK Scrim (Skeeta Scrim equivalent)?

I understand that the best scrim to use for laserings is 'Skeeta Scrim' but I can't find it in the UK.

There is grey mosquito/insect scrim available from the US but postage is 3 times the cost of the scrim!

Can anyone make a suggestion as to what I can use and where I can get it please?

Thanks

Keith

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Useless humorous answer - you need to have mosquitoes over there for a company to probably make money selling mosquito netting.

(I don't know that midges count.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Useless humorous answer - you need to have mosquitoes over there for a company to probably make money selling mosquito netting.

(I don't know that midges count.)
    They must do - Scotland is full of 'em - but then they use far better repellent - Single Malt Scotch!

Point well taken.

Lightbulb

Hey Sir Keith -

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    ..but postage is 3 times the cost of the scrim..
    Well, have you actually gotten a quote from 'David' @ Skeeta for a scrim > the UK? There's no reason that even a 'biggish' Scrim (ie: our 'standard' Outdoor Sho-Scrims are 20' x 32') and they will fit in a 'Medium Flat Rate' USPS box, no problem - those will only run you about $65.-70. USD.. Not-sure how bad your customs will whack ya but.. Carn't imagine it should be too-brutal.. (?)

..If the scrim is smaller than that, you should be able to fit nearly any-size fairly-close-up to the 'biggie' I just ref'd, in a USPS 'Flat Rate Envelope' (..the 'Tyvek' ones..) and those are only $23.50 to anywhere in the UK..

..Failing that, you could UK-Google for 'no-see-um' netting, but.. I'd suspect, unless you find a sewing-house that oft-works with the stuff, most large-format fabric-sewing places (ie: Sailmakers, etc..) will prolly want to charge you a kidney for something 'specialty' like that.. I doubt anyone, over there, will be as-cheap as David @ Skeeta, since sewing that stuff into tents, whatnot, is all they do.. so.. 'the power of bulk pricing'..

..Anyhoo, dos centavitos..
    cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

A couple more serious thoughts... First, perhaps a company like this that sells scrim http://www.fabricuk.com/fabrics/367-scrim-fabric.html might have the necessary fabric - not necessarily mosquito netting but scrim. Then, if you have some sort of textile place with the ability sew pieces together, you can probably have one made. Maybe if there is someplace that sews tablecloths. Perhaps even a regular tailor can sew together what you need.

Other materials that can work are organza - which I noticed they sell on that site although, it's a little more delicate. I've also had luck with tuelle which you can probbaly find bolts of at places where they sell wedding things. Again, it can be sewn to a custom size. The advantage I've found to the mosquito netting is simply that it's more durable but, I personally have found other fabrics I think gave a better look to the lasers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP6967.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	283.8 KB 
ID:	42121

These came from skeeta and were about $120 US each. All three of them will fit in one medium flat rate box as Jon mentions above. Using your units of measurement, they are about 3 meters by 4 meters each. They weigh next to nothing so,postage really shouldn't be that high. David might be able to declare a lower value for the purpose of taxes too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first hung scrim.jpg  

Thanks Jon - I don't need huge swathes of the stuff at the moment - it's just a little gig with lowish beams (too low to project under but perfect for projecting through).

I'll do some more googlying!

Thanks Brad - I've been a little worried about trying other things, mainly as I don't know what to get! I know the Skeeta Skrim works from the wonderful people of PL.

I've only got low powered lasers at the moment too (380mW out the front each) - so was looking at the loose weave stuff. I found Nylon mesh at a local garden centre but it was green (yuck)!

Maybe I could take a laser to the fabric shop for some testing

Done lots of shows with these: Absolutely perfect.
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10070262/
    Use then bin; (or reuse if you want...) Spend far more on gaffa and lx-tape each gig than these! "Kon-sum-ables"
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    Done lots of shows with these: Absolutely perfect.
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10070262/
    Use then bin; (or reuse if you want...) Spend far more on gaffa and lx-tape each gig than these! "Kon-sum-ables"
    Wow, thank you Mr Briggs! That is cheap cheap!