Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LSX and Midi control - What can you do, how do you do it?

Cool LSX and Midi control - What can you do, how do you do it?

I've just got a little midi controller and within a few hours have discovered how powerful a combination of LSX and a midi controller can be!

For every cue in a show, you can set any of the variables that can use expressions to point to a midi 'key' or rotary encoder. You can also set the variable as a combination of midi variable AND an expression, for instance, setting range or sensitivity using Midi(0)/5 .... How awesome is that!?

I've not reached it yet - but I'm rather excited about putting some live control into the Lissajou generator

I'm just going through some cues now, working out what variables work best with each one - Whether it's a rotatex,y,z a premove, postmove, etc.

What are you doing with midi and LSX?

I personally have had A LOT more fun with LSX's OSC interface.

Lately, I've been using a WiiMote+nunchuk to pilot LSX. I've found the joystick to be awesome for position/offset kinds of things (naturally!), the Z-button/trigger+ d-pad is a great general-purpose "select and GO!", and mapping the various gyro, IR, and accelerometer axes to different abstract generator functions gets pretty mind-blowing.

If you go the OSC route, you'll very quickly find yourself deep in the darkest jungles of expression-land!

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

that is fully cool!

got any footage you can show us?

Quote Originally Posted by CountFunkula View Post

Lately, I've been using a WiiMote+nunchuk to pilot LSX. I've found the joystick to be awesome for position/offset kinds of things (naturally!), the Z-button/trigger+ d-pad is a great general-purpose "select and GO!", and mapping the various gyro, IR, and accelerometer axes to different abstract generator functions gets pretty mind-blowing.

If you go the OSC route, you'll very quickly find yourself deep in the darkest jungles of expression-land!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

That sounds very cool - I would like to go the OSC route eventually but taking little steps at the moment.

Video would be cool

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    That sounds very cool
    Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    that is fully cool!

got any footage you can show us?
    Thanks!

As soon as I scrounge up some free time and a camera, I'll shoot some video. At the VERY LEAST, I'll bring the WiiMote+LSX rig to FLEM and get some crazy footage there!

One of these days I'd like to add a section on this topic to the LSX living manual...and maybe even post some fully commented LSX-specific WiiMote -> OSC code

One of these days I'd like to add a section on this topic to the LSX living manual...and maybe even post some fully commented LSX-specific WiiMote -> OSC code
    Yes Please!

15 characters and all that..

Andrew (DrLava) had a leap motion controller hooked up to LSX at the recent NWLEM, and he was running a kaleidoscope abstract using the Leap as a 3-D drawing tablet. Very cool! (Wonder if anyone got video of that?)

Adam

Yes, CMB has a video of him playing with leap motion to laser. Oh the possibilities!

I'll venture into OSC once I've got the hang of midi. One technology at a time for my poor brain

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    I'll venture into OSC once I've got the hang of midi. One technology at a time for my poor brain
    Same here. I hope to leap into leap motion one day too though, as well as Keith I'm trying out MIDI inputs now

I got KORG nanokontrol midi board... small and nice tool, and quite powerful for it's size and price

I found out that it's possible to stack all midi controls into one SFX loop and apply to any animation/SFX/whatever. What I did is I took rend2frame, animate from that frame and then added all wanted transformations for live play: speed, pos, rotation, intensity, scale, etc. Put everything into one SFX and you have a template for any live show you'll do!

problem is with the colors: i'd like to have control of intensity for separate color channels without recoloring effect completely, but I haven't found out how to do it externally (without messing with channel intensities inside effect)

and starting masterbeam messes my setup too... I haven't actually found the effective way to use masterbeam (yet)

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

I asked drlava to include red, green, blue and intensity variables for usage in expressions in the next update. If that gets added, not only will you be able to control indiviual colour levels, but also advanced colour effects such as saturation.

What do you mean with "starting masterbeam messes my setup"? Each masterbeam cue has its own slider settings, they're not global. If you want global settings, stretch out your sfx over all timeline segments.