Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Facebook Discussion on Laser Safety...

Good show Jeremy. I'd have lost it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    Good show Jeremy. I'd have lost it.
    I have a very high tolerance threshold Bob

Seriously though, I was trying my hardest to 'educate' him as gently as possible whilst at the same time letting him know he was so wrong in virtually every statement he made. I always try to see the very best in people wherever possible and do my best never to make enemies. That policy has served me well for most of my adult life so I see no particular reason to change now . Had the need arisen I would have gone on and on, this was one conversation that I just couldn't let go. The problem is other DJ's see that stuff and some will choose to believe his words over mine. Hopefully at the thread closure folks reading it would on balance choose my ramblings over his. Ahh well, as I said... One step at a time, one step at a time...
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Smile

Hey Jeremy;

I need to echo Bob's sentiment above. You have the patience of a saint!

I would have blown a gasket if confronted with such stupidity. Also, I would have thrown my weight around, which would have likely resulted in "DJ" just leaving the discussion. Kudos to you for maintaining your cool and keeping him in the discussion long enough for others (and possibly himself as well) to realize just how GALACTICALLY STUPID he really was.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    The problem is other DJ's see that stuff and some will choose to believe his words over mine. Hopefully at the thread closure folks reading it would on balance choose my ramblings over his.
    I agree that this is the biggest risk. On the Internet, everyone is an expert, even if they actually have no formal training. 5 minutes in front of Google can make anyone look like a genius. But people are lazy, so rather than cross-check the information they read, they take the first source they find as gospel. If it happens to come from someone who is misinformed, well, too bad.

You're truly doing everyone here a favor by spreading the correct information! Thanks pal...

Adam

I've always found a good filter for these people is to introduce a little moderately technical stuff about irradiance and MPE. That usually quickly exposes those without any actual knowledge on thee subject.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Lightbulb

Wow, just.. wow.. Man, Jem, you are one kool kat.. I'd've been rather less-cordial with that smackhead.. some of the stuff he believes, WTFacepalm??!

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    ...introduce a little moderately technical stuff about irradiance and MPE...
    +!. If this guy surfaces again, here's a good PDF you can poing him to (..If he can read, that-is.. http://www2.ensc.sfu.ca/~glennc/e894/e894l9k.pdf - In-particular, Page 6 should help the neanderthalian to 'get it'..

..Cheers to your education-efforts, Jem.. You should 'invite' this cad to join PL, and we'll do what my wife oft jokes in Spanish when encountering a 'Darwin Award Candidate': She says: 'O, Dios, Iluminalos.. o, eliminalos!' (..Oh, God, illuminate them.. Or eliminate them...

..I promise I'll be nice.
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Thanks for posting that PDF Jon! I might print that one out for all the people who say "it'll be fine" when I warn DJs of dangerous laser positioning.

Keith

That's an excellent pdf file Jon. I may just send it to him for a bit of light reading.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001