Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FB4

For the way I would intend to use it, cat5 would deal with the long run from control to stage, where all DACs would be housed together. Distribution around the stage would be done by ILDA. So the DACs would never be out of reach, but maybe not immediately accessible.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Your missing possibly the best feature

If you turn the switch off, you will drop the shutter in all lasers and kill output. I think I am correct to assume a POE switch would have a seperate PSU rail specifically for POE, so with a small mod to the switch, a very easy way to provide extra safety.

Quote Originally Posted by loopee View Post
    What's the chance the the FB4 will support Power over Ethernet

I would see this as providing greater flexibility - i.e.

- Removes the need for additional outlet at the projector to power the FB4 (and removes any plug pack type device)
    - Means that the FB4 can be mounted some distance from the projector and operator, and doesn't require a power source (apart from the network switch that are now becoming cheaper)
    - Provides a means of remotely rebooting the FB4 by shutting down the switchport and then re-enabling it (equivalent to powering down and restarting the device) or you can just unplug the patchlead at the switch for the same thing
    - You could power 24/48 FB4 devices from one switch, and if required have a switch with redundant power supplies for reliability
    - You can get PoE mid devices that can extend Ethernet runs up to 200m in length (basically a two port switch with PoE)

Troy
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Actually, I was thinking of exactly this last night (they say great minds think alike)

So if the FB4 has a relay energised by the PoE this would allow you to tie into the interlock of the projector

and then you could make an E-stops that sits inline of the Ethernet to either break the PoE pairs (however the difficulty here is that there is a couple of different ways of implementing PoE so you would need to break all four pairs)

The other option is that you can get midspan PoE injector that you put inline from the network switch and the FB4

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poe_img3.gif 
Views:	52 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	42429

and like you said, switch off the power to kill the output
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

any updates here
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Embedded FB4 is in two products shipping this fall. Both of them are low-cost consumer products. Which products? You'll know them when you see them ;-)

These are the first to have this kind of technology. Professional-level products will follow. (The consumer products are for very large markets, so they took precedence...)

Bill

The bottom line is that after years of waiting there's still only one reasonably priced and well supported Ethernet control system on the market I know about and that's the Moncha.NET.
    The output is not as smooth as my kisses and the features of the software are not that sophisticated but hey! It is CAT5, it costs £300 and it is stable and simple to use = efficient.

Of course I am still waiting for a smooth and solid network solution that will run on Macs, but that is something I will probably never see
    Martin Pelikan
    KVANT Laser Systems UK
    www.kvantlasers.co.uk

> martin , well it looks like its possible after all these years things are about to change !

> Bill , any sign of your guys simply adding a shopping basket to your site , you seem to make it hard to jumps hoops to find prices and or/ buy online ... for a customer focussed company it seems odd you actively make it hard to buy products .... indeed even find out prices , i have not been able to spend much time on PL this year , keep reading bits n pieces about scannermax but months later i still dont know prices or speed comparison v prices ...... its PART of your service you know to make these informations and purchase possibility EASY , or it should be , should it not ? People live in an amazon and ebay BUY IT NOW type ease , to make people hunt for info/prices is a dis-service
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

There is the 200$ usd etherdream Dac.

http://ether-dream.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pelikan View Post
    The bottom line is that after years of waiting there's still only one reasonably priced and well supported Ethernet control system on the market I know about and that's the Moncha.NET.
    The output is not as smooth as my kisses and the features of the software are not that sophisticated but hey! It is CAT5, it costs £300 and it is stable and simple to use = efficient.

Of course I am still waiting for a smooth and solid network solution that will run on Macs, but that is something I will probably never see
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post
    > Bill , any sign of your guys simply adding a shopping basket to your site
    Thanks for asking. Yes, actually a completely new web site is coming, including shopping cart, online prices, etc. etc. and so on. We hope this will be out around November. We'll do the same for ScannerMAX products as well.

Default What FB4 is, and what FB4 isn't...

I have a friend named Shelly Palmer. If you don't know who he is, look him up. He's done impressive work for most of his career in television, then recently he reinvented himself as a digital living guru. He now has his own television program, podcasts, books, and of course a blog.

As a part of his most recent blog about the Apple Watch, Shelly wrote:

What exactly is an Apple Watch? No one ... knows. It may be a gateway to health and wellness, sports and fitness, quantified self or even location-based self-authenticated personal navigation. It may be none of the above. It may be a platform for app developers... As of today, the Apple Watch could be anything… and that’s the point.
    What is FB4? Nobody [here on Photon Lexicon] knows. But for Pangolin it could be anything, and indeed that's the point!

We originally developed FB4 as the highest-end network controller, but it's also built on a "lego bricks" philosophy, so that things can be added and removed as desired, to meet the needs of a particular market. When we were approached by two separate makers of consumer-level products, we were able to take FB4, customize the code, and deliver a product nobody else has or could have quickly. Two consumer-level products will be released before the end of the year based on FB4. And when I say consumer-level, I'm talking about soccer-moms and grandmoms -- people who have not, heretofore, used laser show products. This is a completely new market, and has nothing to do with anything else that we -- or anybody else -- has done in the past.

So while nobody [here on Photon Lexicon] knows what FB4 is, I will tell you what it isn't. FB4 is not a replacement for FB3. It's not (in Apple parlance) "the new iPhone that will replace the last one which is discontinued"...

I will remind everyone that we released the QM2000 in November of 1999, and it's still being sold today and indeed, typically around half, to two-thirds of all ILDA-award-winning shows are made with the QM2000. It's not going away any time soon. Likewise we released the first version FB3 in October of 2003. It won ILDA Hardware Product Of The Year award in 2006, and it's still going strong today.

FB3 is, and will remain THE HARDWARE PLATFORM for QuickShow and the main hardware platform sold and used with BEYOND as well.

Pangolin hardware was designed to be on the market, and serve clients for a very long time -- far longer than typical computer products. I can say this about many of the products that Pangolin makes. This is so, because we take longevity into account when we are designing products, and because our products are built with a vision of the future in mind. This is one of the reasons why our products hold their resale value for such a long time.

So FB4 is not a replacement for any of our other hardware products. Rather, it's something new. Something completely different. Someting designed to address problems people don't even *consciously* know they have.

Before iPhone came out, people speculated that Apple would release a mobile phone with iPod capability, giving people the easy ability to create their own ring-tones. Had Apple released a product that did this, people would have been satisfied, because this was the obvious evolutionary step. People had been using phones and iPods for years, so combining them into a single product was obvious. Instead, what Apple did was not obvious and it completely revolutionized the idea of what people have in their pocket, along with revolutionizing how people interact with computers.

So stop thinking that FB4 is just another network controller, or replacement for one of our existing products. FB4 is no more any of this, than iPhone was a telephone with an iPod strapped to it... FB4 is not a simple replacement product. For Pangolin clients, it will be used IN ADDITION TO the the products people use today, not INSTEAD OF...

Bill