Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on SELEM 2014 pricing - need input

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

One final comment to a heavily hijacked thread...

there are "night blades"??? (Crap...This just gets worse! )

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

and the world lets out a collective sigh of relief.. all is once again right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Nothing else related to flying 'copters and such.

I didn't say anything about lasers!
    Last edited by swamidog; 02-12-2014 at 12:45.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    there are "night blades"???
    Yes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jb61kUX5fM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J52MLXXUy4

ED

They need to get rid of the 15 character limit on here.

evil, evil, evil, evil, evil, evil, evil, evil, evil, OMG! evil, evil, evil, evil, evil, evil, OMG!

Must. Not. Buy. Anything. Else. Today.

Relax Brad... Those night blades are for very large collective-pitch birds. You won't be ready for that for a long time. (The birds that ekeefe and BlueFly are flying are definitely expensive, but they're also beyond the skill level of a beginner pilot. I'm not there yet either - not even close!)

Wish you had waited to buy the quad though. I could have sold you one for less, and included several batteries to boot. (I paid less than $40 retail for my first one.)

I hope the one you got has a switchable 3 to 6 axis gyro... With 3 axis you can fly tricks (flips and so on) while with 6 it's stable enough to take your hands off the stick. (And for the professionals out there, yes I realize that there is no such thing as a "6 axis" gyro, but it's become a common marketing term and we all know what it means, so I'm sticking with it even though it's factually incorrect.)

Still, I know you'll have fun with it. Now I really can't wait for FLEM! So many things to do, and so little time....

Adam

Isn't that always the case! It's why I pushed for SELEM to be 4 days! I returned your PM. I just happened to jump from this thread to eBay and saw that one with no bids and about 3 minutes left so, a quick search gave some good reviews and a normal retail around $99 so, I figured $45 wasn't bad. It will be interesting to compare it with what others are bringing to FLEM and, I'll be a little more edjukated if and when I look at getting something else.

Those night wings are pretty badass but... I'm right there with you that it would be a LONG way off. (I said that about a 3 watt RGB too if I recall.)

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Relax Brad... Those night blades are for very large collective-pitch birds. You won't be ready for that for a long time. (The birds that ekeefe and BlueFly are flying are definitely expensive, but they're also beyond the skill level of a beginner pilot. I'm not there yet either - not even close!)

Adam
    Not exactly... there are actually kinda two trains of thought when it comes to the best way to learn... One path is to start with small, cheap, easy-to-fly things that you can throw around in your yard, and then as you build your skills and confidence, work your way up to larger and larger models. Many people have started this way, and progressed just fine - especially if you don't have access to mentors or others to learn from.

Another option, which is actually quite common if you have access to a RC club in your area, is to get the largest model you can afford right off the bat... There are multiple benefits behind this. First, the larger the heli, the heavier it is, the less twitchy it is, and the easier it is to control. It is totally feasible to simply learn how to take off and hover tail-in until you get comfortable with that, and then move on from there. Second, the larger helis are just so much more of a joy to work on - you aren't dealing with cheap plastic crap that is constantly falling apart and breaking. Many people who start out with the tiny cheap stuff, get frustrated/bored with them rather quickly and realize they have wasted money on stuff they aren't gonna keep around.

I kind of took a hybrid path. I started out with the tiny cheap plastic crap, but quickly transitioned to the larger models after I just so happened to ride out to the local Heli club one day in my area and was able to see that side of the hobby. I was blown away, and addicted from that day on.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    but wait... what about all these cheap high power laser modules?
    I'd love to eat for the rest of the month, but those damn Nichia 1W 520s are really starting to get to me... At this point I think it'd be easier to get addicted to heroin instead of lasers; at least there's inpatient treatment centers once I've spent all my money on it >.>
    Last edited by laserlackey; 02-13-2014 at 13:21.
    Neat!

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Book Scuzz Twittly and his chicks for the main stage, or I aint comin....

Where do I presend the payment while I still have it?

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

When I get back from FLEM I'll put up an official registration thread for SELEM 2014.

Adam