Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Lasers and the FBI

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    I think that may be directed at those of us querying the damage situation.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

my point extends from my first post in this thread - There will always be stupid people that will track airplanes...personally I think a firing squad is a great solution. My comment was in general to people...not pointed at any one in PL

edit - sorry if I implied what you guys were doing was dumb...not the case at all
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post

Clearly, this is stretching a point to demonstrate a point. I thought the South Park reference would've made it a bit obvious what the intention was :-/
    Dude, I TOTALLY missed the reference to South Park - my bad!!

As far as MPE, aircraft exposures, etc. - ~
    My guess - and it's purely that - is that MPE calculations depend too much on a "controlled" environment to be truly 100% applicable.
    I have seen WAY too many times over the course of my career where classroom and/or controlled-environment calculations, methods, and procedures didn't necessarily work out "as advertised" once they were put into practice in a field environment.

Truthfully, just about aviator, military or civilian (and most members here) would probably agree that ANY laser shining into the cockpit is bad.
    Undoubtedly, the MPE that would apply to any given incident should define the degree of "bad" that applies, but medical evidence is starting to be made public that, unfortunately, might sometimes indicate otherwise.

FWIW - and this was some years ago, long before I ever even heard of "MPE" -
    I was stationed with a Blackhawk crew that was sidelined indefinitely due to a laser incident, with a least one pilot sustaining some level of permanent eye damage.
    We were briefed that the source of the laser was believed to be a laser RF/D in the power range of 1 watt, which at the time was considered to be quite powerful.
    The laser source was an estimated 100m or so from the aircraft when the incident occurred.
    (Our team wasn't exactly on speaking terms with the laser operators, so some of the details weren't available ).

The "unclassified" power of the laser systems I routinely worked with prior to retirement were also (generally) in the 1 watt range.
    These were considered as weapons systems in and of themselves, and were treated accordingly.
    Any "inadvertent lasing of personnel" resulted in immediate grounding (for aircrews on the receiving end) with a full medical/visual screening to determine if any damage had taken place. (BTW - The screening is a no-fun PITA, expecially when you consider that the results could determine whether you continue in your aviation career...)

Undoubtedly, these systems I am referring to had MUCH better optics (hopefully!) than those high-powered handhelds now on the streets, but unfortunately the power levels available now probably make up somewhat for the lack of refined optics.

Reliable inside sources tell me that handhelds are taken VERY seriously when used by the opposition in some of the hot zones where our teams are currently operating, and are being treated as offensive weapons used against our forces, with varying levels of "appropriate" response depending on the current ROE. (Translation - in many cases, the hand held laser goes away, along with anything/anyone in the immediate vicinity).

I don't think think we will ever have to worry about that level of response in our "more civilized" world (hopefully!), but it does tend to highlight the potential for some increasingly serious issues where handhelds are concerned. And when it's all said and done, I think the documented incidents and medical results are going to speak far louder than what MPE calculations say should, or shouldn't, happen.

That said, I still really like lasers, including all three of my projectors AND my 1 watt handheld!!

And I miss flying...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    my point extends from my first post in this thread - There will always be stupid people that will track airplanes...personally I think a firing squad is a great solution. My comment was in general to people...not pointed at any one in PL

edit - sorry if I implied what you guys were doing was dumb...not the case at all
    Not a problem Pat -
    And I tend to agree with you concerning punishment for the offenders, especially for the repeat offenders that like to brag on social media!!
    Thanks!

FWIW -
    Never thought this thread would stir up so much interest!!

Randy
    Last edited by Stuka; 02-19-2014 at 11:48.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

...especially for the repeat offenders that like to brag on social media!!
    Those are by far the worst risk possible, short of insurgents inside a country waking from 'sleep' like an ultraviolent flash mob. The second case will likely be decided by a fast military strike, regardless of the civilised state of a nation, because the alternative is unthinkable. The social media case if not stopped would be like allowing arsonists to brag about their burnings. It will be solved, as with incitement to hatred, or extreme cyber-bullying and harrassment, by a few well-publicised exemplary sentences. Like 4 years jail where most people expected 4 months. Rioting in the UK was dealt with on similar terms. Once the rumours are not of braggarts getting away with dangerous crap, but of braggarts silenced and doing hard time, the rest of the dangerous sheep will stop bleating almost immediately.

Many of the original offenders may even quietly end up with much-reduced sentences and be freed, but by that time they'll be so pathetically grateful that they will be as silent as the rest. Problem (hopefully) solved.