Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lasers and the FBI

Default Lasers and the FBI

Article that made it into the local paper today:

http://www.waff.com/story/24694948/fbi-dont-fire-lasers
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

"Outside of the military, law enforcement and Dr. Evil, there aren't a number of reasons for owning a laser that come to mind for the average non-laser owner."

I knew you lot were (are) a bunch of Evil Wierdo's !!
    Attachment 42209

The real problem aren't lasers...
    The problem are idiot people that use laser that way...

About the FBI movie now...
    OK... I agree... Good job and good "warning-movie"...
    But...
    A question: Why don't make a "warning-movie" also for guns and all remain firearms which continue to be sold freely (almost available also at supermarkets...) in many States of USA????
    How much firearms are into USA homes?
    For sure much much more than lasers...

Answer to the question above:
    Because the firearms market give money to Govern and to manifacturers...
    Lasers not yet enough...
    When laser market will become a good business... then all lasers will be legal and nobody will have not care about " laser strikes against aircrafts"

Anyway, at the end of all, I think that this problem could be fixed giving a good RGB safety glass to each pilot...
    Last edited by Steve Milani; 02-11-2014 at 14:10. Reason: typo
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

"The JetBlue pilot experienced blurry vision for [more than] a week after being temporarily blinded by a laser."

Seriously???

I assume some of these reports are in the slightly exaggerated category possibly to get time off work or some form of compensation
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Quote Originally Posted by loopee View Post
    "The JetBlue pilot experienced blurry vision for [more than] a week after being temporarily blinded by a laser."

Seriously???

I assume some of these reports are in the slightly exaggerated category possibly to get time off work or some form of compensation
    Hmmm.... A pilot on approach at night in low light conditions with dilated pupils and an irresponsible jerk with a 1+ watt pointer who decides it would be a great idea to point it at a commercial wide body aircraft carrying a few hundred of his fellow citizens.

This results in eye injury, or a pilot who decides to milk the situation for a few days off while jeopardizing his/her flight status.

But wouldn't any incident where it took "[more than] a week" to recover be considered somewhat serious damage to the eye, and in the case of a pilot could potentially terminate their career anyway, I would assume that the more-than-a-week time frame is the brain compensation for the damage

I not saying that this type of incident isn't serous but some of the reports just seem so exaggerated that it could potentially create knee-jerk reactions on policies that could then flow on to other laser uses (i.e us)

There was a classic example of this a few years ago here in Australia where a TV traffic report claimed to be hit from a laser pointer while he and his pilot were coming in to land, the news show then aired this presenter detailing the indecent and it was so overly exaggerated that you could tell the news program/reporter was just making a BS story out of it

Unfortunately I can't find any video of it but below are to news paper articles (from what would be regarded the most trusted newspapaer) detailing the incident and it aftermath

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...743030294.html
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...s_cid=rss_news
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Quote Originally Posted by loopee View Post

Seriously???

I agree
    Sometimes reports seems to be little exaggerated
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Not at all exaggerated . He rubbed his eye very hard during the panic of being flasblinded. This can tear a muscle or result in conjunctivitis .

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Hmmm.... A pilot on approach at night in low light conditions with dilated pupils and an irresponsible jerk with a 1+ watt pointer who decides it would be a great idea to point it at a commercial wide body aircraft carrying a few hundred of his fellow citizens.

This results in eye injury, or a pilot who decides to milk the situation for a few days off while jeopardizing his/her flight status.

Wut???? 1W pointer = 445nm undoubtedly. Probably collimated but without correction optics.
    You'd have to be stood on the threshold of the runway and in a significantly risky position to be able to get MPE on that pilot.

I vote milking the situation.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

What Steve (Mixedgas) said -

As a retired military pilot who has been on the receiving end of lasers (and other unexpected sudden blasts of bright light), I can attest that the involuntary reaction can be more damaging than the laser hits themselves.
    (And a potentially dangerous side effect, depending on the experience of the crew and the phase of flight / landing they happen to be in at the time...)

Also, good to keep in mind that the majority of the posters here have first-hand experience dealing with some fairly powerful lasers, and over time have grown accustomed to various levels of direct exposures to lasers.
    We're a rarity ~
    Most of the general population (including professional pilots) has NOT had that cumulative experience with lasers, and their reactions to unexpected exposures would probably be, understandably, quite different than ours.

I'm also willing to bet that most folks posting here have little or no experience piloting aircraft full of people, and really can't relate to these pilots' experiences...

And, it IS still a Federal offense to interfere with an aircraft in flight in the USA, and that includes targeting by lasers or bright spotlights.

Randy
    Last edited by Stuka; 02-12-2014 at 10:52.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....