Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with older Panglolin QM-32 board & Docking Station

Smile Pangolin board fixed!

Hi George!

Thanks for the offer, but I ended up solving the problem. (Well, to be more precise, Haden Hale of Pangolin solved my problem!) I was in Florida this past weekend, and I dropped by the Pangolin office on Saturday to meet with Hayden. He was still pretty jet-lagged from his trip to China (he got back late Thursday), but he still agreed to meet with me.

Turns out that a common problem with the Quad Mod 32 board is that the pull-up resistors for the data bus get shoved around, and sometimes their leads touch. (These are the vertically-mounted resistors that sit near the long edge of the card, away from the ISA connector, about mid-way along it's length.) Sure enough, two of them were touching on my board. Hayden moved them apart a bit, and I suggested installing some shrink-wrap to prevent it from happening again. We did just that, and then stuck the board back in the docking station.

Tada! Just like that, it started working. We loaded up showtime, and everything worked fine. I loaded up one of the shows that came on the disc and played it in the preview window. Then we played around with Lasershow Designer a bit (including the abstract generator), before shutting it down.

So a big thanks to Hayden for agreeing to meet with me and have a look at the board. (Glad it was something simple!) And thanks to you, too, George, for your offer to help. I need to call you one of these evenings anyway and catch up on things. (But I've been busy as hell myself!)

Adam

Woot! that's good news... There's some things I miss about the older qm32... ILDA file output is one of them! The ILDA files it generates is compatible in more aftermarket ILDA players, before we wrote a converter we kept that exact qm32 I posted running to render to ILDA.

(The new LD2k uses an interesting way to get around the frame count limitation of 65k by making a series of frames which are all 1 frame long, the older qm32 used to set totalframes to the actual number of frames (but it did have issues past 32k due to using a signed short int vs unsigned), the advantage of LD2k is that it supports the "extended" modes of 4 & 5 for truecolor support, just make sure that your palette wizard profile is OFF before outputing on the qm2k)
    Last edited by yaddatrance; 03-21-2007 at 15:13.

Smile

Hi Yadda;

Yeah, I was pretty happy to see that it worked!

RE: Save to ILDA... Isn't that an option you can order on the LD2000 board? I thought Fred was talking about ordering that for his board.?.

Adam

Good to hear it works. Hope your enjoying it. One day we gotta take my 2 other qm32 boards and have the three way setup going, hell maybe even design a hobbiest show to go with it

I wonder if they might be in any day this weekend. I would love to look at going to the qm2k since i will be in FL

Smile

Give them a call, you'd be surprised at the hours they work! Hayden will probably be there. (Bill is still in Australia, and won't be back 'til April.)

I like the idea of a 3-way Pangolin show... I need to learn how to use the software first though, before I can start creating anything. (So many things to do, so little time!)

Adam

Question Another QM32 problem...

Hi All,

Sorry to dig up this old thread...

I took the advice of many of you seasoned Laserists and bought a Pangolin card! I decided to get a used QM32 Pro card - Unfortunately I have been having a difficult time getting it to work reliably. I am attempting to use it with an IBM 755C Laptop (486DX/75, 32MB) with Windows 95 and Dock I docking station.

The problem: The card works perfectly about 50% of the time, the other 50% it returns errors, most commonly:

"The QUADMOD32's internal check routines have detected a DRAM MEMORY FAILURE"

Sometimes I get other communication faults, and one time it loaded LD fine and then LD Froze.

I have tried 2 different docks, I checked the on-board resistors (Adam's problem), I have tried both available memory addresses for the QM32 and 3 different addresses for the built-in soundcard. I have disabled all non-essential hardware on the laptop, and I have tried re-seating the RAM modules. Nothing seems to make a difference...

Is this a hardware conflict, or is it something with the board? Anybody have experience with this problem?

Tonight I got lucky and it's working... But tomorrow, who knows?

Thanks...

-Andy C.

I would be inclined to believe the error and replace the RAM. You will
    need/want single-sided RAM as I do not believe the QM32 can address the
    second side. Aside from that, it is standard old PC memory. If you're not
    familiar with specing ram from ebay or somesuch, let us know. If you're
    definitely uncomfortable doing it yourself, contact pangolin for assistance.

I agree with Yadda; it sounds like you have a flakey memory module. (Hey, it happens....)

Give Haden Hale a call at Pangolin and he should be able to tell you the exact specs you need for the memory modules. Then just order a replacement set. (They should be fairly cheap, given that they're basically legacy hardware at this point.)

Adam.

Maby them are cheap, but I dont know! Pangolin should have theese Theese are pretty old modules and hard to get. Cant find it on ebay I got full set of the memory modules from my old pangolin pro card.
    If they dont have, I got for sure

Pangolin FB3 QS/LivePro/SMS2Laser
    Riya MultiBus
    Pangolin LD2000 Pro

On the subject of memory errors,

I just recieved another QM2000 today, put it in the computer and it showed a DRAM error. Pulled the ram out of the other QM we have here, and it works perfectly..

Got the board for just over $900usd, so im pretty happy
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/