Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with older Panglolin QM-32 board & Docking Station

Question Help with older Panglolin QM-32 board & Docking Station

Argh...

Ok - I've got a Quad-Mod 32 boad. (Yay!) I've also got an IBM Thinkpad 600 notebook. So I bought a port replicator and a SelectaDock III docking station for it. (The SelectaDock III gives you 3 PCI slots, 2 ISA slots, a 5.25 inch drive bay, a 3.5 inch drive bay, a SCSI controller, some usb ports, and the PS-2 mouse and keyboard connectors.)

I powered up the docking station, and everything works. Only problem is that the Pangolin software doesn't see the QM-32 board. In fact, the board doesn't even show up in Device Manager. (The laptop is running Windows 98 SE)

Does anyone here have experience with the older QM-32 boards? Do they show up as a device in Device Manager under Win98? (I would think they'd have to, but...) I've got all the software for the docking station installed, and it shows the scsi controller and all that, but I can't get it to see the Pangolin board.

Any ideas?

Adam

http://www.pangolin.com/LD2000/Notebook2000.htm

theres a bit here,

Bill would be the person to ask tho

Do you have a desktop with a older isa mobo? Might be worth trying it in that..

David
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Gosh, its been so long since I've had a QM32, I don't even remember if it shows up in device manager. My best guess is that it does. Do you know for sure that this Dock is fully working? Aside from placing the QM32 into a pc with an isa slot, if you can find one, look around for another isa card and make sure that the dock isa slots are working. Also, make certain that the laptop is fully latched into the dock. I have seen some issues with where a laptop is not fully seated and causes all kinds of wierd issues. One thing for sure is that laptop and dock are capable of running the QM32, and it is very compatible with windows 98se. Another thing you could try, pull the card out and apply pressure to some of the chips on the board and reseat the memory modules. Thinking back, I remember most of them being socketed. I'd hate to think it was a problem with the QM32, but its possible...

David

The way I upgraded to 98se was by turning off PnP mode in 98se,
    the qm32 is a non-pnp ISA board, set the IRQ and io address to a free
    segment. If you're not seeing pangolin, it usually because there is a hardware conflict. Also try swapping ISA slots if you are sure everything is correct, I have had bad luck on the "shared" ISA slot before (the one right next to the PCI bus).

Oh yeah! There was an LD.INI you have to update if you change the irq and IO address from defaults.
    The most common conflict is the sound card, the MPU401 uses 0x300 as I recall.

Here's a photo I took of the jumpers you'll care about.

Smile

Yadda;

Yeah, I considered the IO address, but you can only change it from 0x300 to 0x308. If you need to go higher in the address space, the help file says that you need a chip from Pangolin to do it. (Evidently there is a rom that can be swapped out.) I didn't try the 0x308 address though, because the help files suggested that if anything else was usinig 0x300, then 0x308 would also be tied up. (Evidently the X-29 board is one such example.)

On the other hand, if I can get it working in a desktop PC then it might be worth trying to swap the chip and play with addresses. (Maybe something in the docking station is using that address.?.) I also need to try it in the other ISA slot in the docking station I guess.

Dave and Dave;

Good points. I don't have another ISA-slot mobo, but I have a pal that does. I'll have to try plugging the board into one of his boxes and see what happens.

As for trying another ISA card in my docking station - hmmm... I don't know if I have any more ISA cards anymore. I might still have an AWE 64 card lying around someplace. Need to look for it. I'll also make sure all the chips are seated on the board...

Thanks for the input guys! I'll keep you posted.

Adam

Unhappy QM 32 board still not working...

Well, Crud... My luck isn't getting any beter it seems.

I tested my docking station with another ISA card (an old AWE 64 sound card) and both ISA slots work just fine.

I tried the QM 32 board in both slots, and it doesn't even show up in device manager. (Not even as an unknown device - no yellow exclaimation point, nothing!)

I did try changing the board address from 0x300 to 0x308. (Yes, I also changed the address in the LD.ini file.) When I did that, I noticed that Lasershow Designer doesn't throw the "QM32 board not detected" error box. Instead, I get the "Running initial QM check" box, and then the software hangs.

I tried re-installing the software, but that didn't work either.

About the only thing I haven't tried is plugging the QM-32 board into another PC, (I don't have another PC with ISA slots.) I might get an opportunity to try that tomorrow though.

Still, from the tests I've done so far, it looks like I've got a dead board. I know this configuration works, because they talk about my specific laptop, port replicator, and docking station on the Pangolin website as being an ideal mobile solution for the QM 32.

I gave Hayden a call, but it turns out he's still in Asia! We talked for about 20 seconds and then his phone cut off, and I couldn't get him back. Oh well, I think he'll be back this weekend, so maybe I can meet with him while I'm in Florida again. Sigh...

Anyone have any other suggestions as to things I should try?

Adam

Adam,

Sorry to hear about this problem. Just wondering, how do the contacts look on the edge that plugs into the isa slot? Maybe run a pencil eraser across the contacts a few times and see if that doesn't help. I have an old desktop pc with ISA slots at home, but I'm stuck in atlanta for a while. It would be nice to see if you get any results in a pc, just incase there is *something* wrong with the laptop, even though the ISA sound card kinda disproves that. Is it a fresh load of win98?

David

Hi Dave!

Yeah, it's a clean win98 install, and I made sure the contacts on the QM 32 board were clean.

I've got a buddy that has an older motherboard at his place that has 2 ISA slots, so I'm going to head over to his place after work today and try the QM 32 board in his machine. If it doesn't work there, I'd say that's a slam-dunk... The board is bad.

We'll see though. Maybe I'll get lucky. If not, I guess I'll try to meet with Hayden while I'm in Florida and see if we can sort it out...

Adam

adam, i just saw this post. give me a call anytime tonight if u get this, i will be driving to Miami. I will upload my qm32 folder minus the shows and tell u what jumpers I used in my SelectaDock III