Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap iShow ILDA controllers - worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by paulckruger View Post
    Do you know if this is just a software limitation or one related to the actual hardware interface?
    It is a software limitation. The driver that comes with it will only work on 32 bit computers. If someone could reverse engineer the hardware it probably wouldn't be that difficult to create a better and 64 bit compatible driver for it. The firmware is not embedded within the iShow DAC. It is downloaded from the driver each time the DAC is plugged in. I thought about doing it but a few times but never got around to it.

Also, although the stated Spaghetti policy is that the license is only for one machine and not transferrable, I transfer them all the time for people when they get new computers or reinstall a different OS. I do it at my own discretion and keep track of the number of licenses requested to prevent pirates from taking advantage of it. I've only had to refuse creating new licenses a handful of times.

If you are still interested, I might have an old iShow DAC you can have. I don't think I have the cd that came with it anymore though but you might be able to find a download version somewhere... idk. You would also have to replace the cables needed since I still use them for other purposes. 1x USB A to USB B cable and 1x ILDA cable. PM me if you're interested
    LASERS!!

1x Homemade 500mW 405nm Projector
    1x Homemade 1.2W RGB Projector
    1x Lightspace Color Ray Series 6W RGB
    2x Lightspace Venus 2W RGB

ZPL Lighting www.zpllighting.com

I have some Riya Lite controllers in stock that I can sell to you for $110 alone or $170 with a Spaghetti license.

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

the Riya dacs are an excellent value and will also work with lsx and gls.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I have
    some Riya Lite controllers in stock that I can sell to you for $110 alone or $170 with a Spaghetti license.

Here is a link to a web page that has download links for the latest IShow 2.3 software and the Win7 32bit driver.

IShow Download page

The software is in split rar files and the driver is in a single rar file. To install the driver (32bit Win 7 OS only), copy the contents of the rar file to a directory. Plug in the IShow DAC. Let it install as an unrecognised device. Go to device manager and find the device. Choose upgrade driver and open the directory you saved the files in. As it installs you will get a message that the driver is uncertified. Click on install anyway. Software should see the DAC now.

It is possible to install Win7 32bit as a virtual machine on a 64bit Win 7 PC (I've done it but you need a separate licence!) and the DAC will work. However there is the possibility of latency issues.

Edit: correct file type for driver file.
    Last edited by WolfMax; 11-25-2014 at 16:34.
    Cheers

Colin.

Anyone wanting to be a politician, should automatically be excluded from being one!

Thanks WolfMax. Works perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by paulckruger View Post
    It looks like the software is obsolete not taking into account that no one even makes 32bit mother boards any more and just about all OS's these days are 64bit.
    The motherboard is not the issue, the OS is. Windows 7 32bit is designed to work on 64 bit hardware but offer a 32 bit environment for applications and hardware that cannot work in a 64 bit one.
    The main concern with 32 bit is the lower computation speed and memory addressing (4GB max). If all you are going to use the PC for is laser control and occasional trips to the internet for stuff, then Windows 7 32 bit is perfectly adequate. And no I don't work for Microsoft
    Last edited by WolfMax; 11-26-2014 at 00:58.
    Cheers

Colin.

Anyone wanting to be a politician, should automatically be excluded from being one!

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Older ISHOW Dacs work with IShow and Spaghetti, that's it. Not sure about the new model. ISHOW is a good way to waste your money. I had it for a brief time on evaluation, and no way would I suggest purchasing. ISHOW was recently bought by another Chinese company and I have not heard of any improvement yet.
    IMHO the problem isn't so much the DAC (although it has it's limitations which I'll come to in a moment), it's the software that lets it down (and by software I include the driver for the DAC not having a 64 bit variant).
    I keep seeing posts saying Spaghetti is a good starting software, well the Ishow DAC could be a good starting hardware if the driver was updated. It limitations are reported to be its KPPS and TTL output for the lasers (I can't verify this as the Ishow software is only TTL. Is Spaghetti analogue capable?) But if you are only using low budget laser projectors then TTL is most likely all you have anyway.

The web page link in my post above was setup by the new owners of Ishow (Xinyu Laser) in an attempt to give everyone that has an Ishow DAC access to the legitimate version of the latest software. I can confirm that the version on the site does work better than the copy I got with my Ishow DAC that was reporting to be the same version (it certainly doesn't crash as much).

The bottom line is not everyone wants to be the next Laserium. Some just want to chuck a few shapes around at a party using coherent light (with safety in mind of course). The Ishow DAC and Spaghetti software appear to be the cheapest, best solution for this if you are prepared to accept the limitations and the OS restriction. If you are, then I can't see that it is a waste of money.
    Last edited by WolfMax; 11-26-2014 at 00:59.
    Cheers

Colin.

Spaghetti supports 16bit X,Y and color as long as the DAC will support it.

The iShow DAC firmware limits the quality of its output unless special images are fed to it. Each point sent to the DAC needs some extra information not contained in an ILDA file. You will notice that some of the images that come with iShow are in a special format. That is why. I stumbled upon the magic formula while creating the Spaghetti driver for it. I have posted about it before on here.

For now, I can sell Spaghetti + a RIYA Lite dac for around the same prices you can buy IShow and Spaghetti separately. The quality will be SOOO much better. Contact me for details if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    For now, I can sell Spaghetti + a RIYA Lite dac for around the same prices you can buy IShow and Spaghetti separately. The quality will be SOOO much better. Contact me for details if interested.
    Now THAT is the cheapest, best solution for starting with coherent light shape chucking machines!
    Cheers

Colin.