Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap iShow ILDA controllers - worth it?

Default Cheap iShow ILDA controllers - worth it?

I have a Vayron HD500 blue laser which I repaired from faulty. It's really just a toy I like to use at parties - I don't do anything remotely professional with it.

Currently I use it with DMX to control the preset patterns which is good fun but I am wondering if using the ILDA port would give me a more intuitive interface with access to more patterns.

Most of the ILDA controllers I see are at least £90 which is much more than I can afford to pay but there are some controllers like this which are £40.

I am wondering if anyone has used them and if they'd be any good for my application?

Thanks in advance

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Probably not.

Please be aware that the iShow doesn't work on 64 bit computers. Don't bother if you don't have a 32 bit machine.

I have no personal experience with the software, but the general attitude is "annoying" and "not very intuitive". It's commonly nicknamed as iShit.

But... it's all you can get for £40.

If you stay on this forum (advice if you call £90 a lot of money: don't stay on this forum!), you WILL regret buying it. Apart from its own software, the controller is compatible with Spaghetti (which is decent), but that's it I believe.

Id say if thats the dosh you got , yes it will play some pretty patterns and animations , which is better than nowt , and will be good experience for you wiring it up etc

You should also stick around here to learn about that blue laser your throwing beams about ... if the clues in the name and its a 445nm 500mW , well stick a balloon in front of it , if it goes pop , so can a retina !! learn from that :-)
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Ishow is a dog. That said, if you have low expectations, in the hands of someone good at musical keyboarding, its " mediocre"

steve

Thanks for the tips –spaghetti seems good and reasonably priced but I run the laser off a junker laptop so I really don’t want to buy a non-transferrable licence.

I don’t think I’ve managed to get a full-power beam from it with the DMX controller but I am acutely aware, to the point of paranoia, the risks of it hitting a retina.

I am impressed by DMX so does that mean I have low expectations? What do you mean by musical keyboarding? I can’t play any instruments!

@lili, you’re saying that I could modify the power output to make it safer for short range use? Which of those products would I need and how would I go about implementing it? What’s the cost likely to be?

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Pretty sure lili is just spam.

Does the laser have an SD card? It might be less frustrating to just source some ilda files and select them with dmx.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Pretty sure lili is just spam.

Does the laser have an SD card? It might be less frustrating to just source some ilda files and select them with dmx.
    I thought lili might be spam.

There isn't an SD slot, no.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Probably not.

Please be aware that the iShow doesn't work on 64 bit computers. Don't bother if you don't have a 32 bit machine.

Do you know if this is just a software limitation or one related to the actual hardware interface?

If hardware only do you know if this will work with the ILDA software offered on sourceforge.net ?

It looks like the software is obsolete not taking into account that no one even makes 32bit mother boards any more and just about all OS's these days are 64bit.

I am looking for an interface for my home-built laser show which as of now only has the pre programmed cartoons on the controller. Not intended for anything professional, just a toy, perhaps a Christmas decoration at home.

Thanks..

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If you'd like something decent in the less then 400$ class take a look at Spaghetti or RIYA GLS.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...77648437,d.cGE

GLS:

http://www.illumn.com/riya-gls-usb-dac-w.html

I have GLS and can say that although it has a bit of a learning curve, it has a lot of bang for the dollar as far as being a integrated package...

Older ISHOW Dacs work with IShow and Spaghetti, that's it. Not sure about the new model. ISHOW is a good way to waste your money. I had it for a brief time on evaluation, and no way would I suggest purchasing. ISHOW was recently bought by another Chinese company and I have not heard of any improvement yet.

Spaghetti, well, Gary posts here, so you can ask him about details. Ihor from Riya is also on PL from time to time.

Trying do minimum spending on a controller usually results in Grief, and Gnashing of Teeth.

I'll try the GLS Dongle with some of the older freeware using the EZAUDDAC patch and post here, probably Wednesday..

I'm not sure of the new one, but the older ISHOW hardware had a limitation to 32 bit hardware from lack of drivers.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 10-20-2014 at 07:13.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
    Thanks for the tips –spaghetti seems good and reasonably priced but I run the laser off a junker laptop so I really don’t want to buy a non-transferrable licence.
    You can transfer the license via a USB key.