Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help me with my new projector.

Default help me with my new projector.

EDIT: The way some of the members here have desperately tried to identify my location and nationality for whatever reason they believed was needed for by asking an admin to check my profile logs and researching me by the content of my posts has been very creepy and unnecessary. So bye.
    Last edited by dream; 04-28-2016 at 16:35.

Based on the picture you posted, your scanners need to be tuned slightly. The circle should be just touching the inside of the center square, not extending beyond it.

Second, your color blanking shift adjustment is off. At the top of the ILDA test pattern you see two divided horizontal lines with a vertical tick mark in the dividing space between the left and right section of each line. The tick mark should be in the center of the blank dividing space in the two horizontal lines. In your picture, the dividing space is shifted way too far to the left on the bottom line, and the same thing is evident on the upper line.

Not sure how to adjust the blanking shift in LSX or Moncha, but I'm sure someone here on the forum can assist you with that.

Once you've re-tuned your scanners, try displaying some graphics again and see how they look. Note also that the flicker will be far less noticeable if you display the images in a dark room. In a brightly lit room, even simple images will appear to flicker. So try running the projector with the room lights off and see if that helps.

Finally - what scan angle were you projecting the images at? (If you didn't calculate the angle, just measure the distance from the projector to the wall and the width of the pattern on the wall and I can calculate it for you.)

Adam

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

scale values within the laser show software are irrelevant for computing scan angles.

here's a little calculator: http://www.laserworld.com/en/support...alculator.html

Quote Originally Posted by dream View Post
    Thanks buffo. I'll see how I can tune the scanner and change the "blanking shift".

I've tried in both cases, can't really say I feel difference.

I thought I could set the angle in Moncha and LSX, but they both take size values (0 to 255 and 0 to 1 respectively).

With Moncha, with the default 64 size the size of the projected ilda test pattern is around 10 square cm from 50cm distance between mirrors and the wall.
    But I've tried way smaller size values like 8 and there's still flickering.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

yes... changing the size value change the scan angle. the problem is it doesn't tell you what the scan angle is. the link i posted will help you compute the scan angle.

changing the KPPS settings is part of scanner tuning in LSX, but there are many other options. out of the box, i would expect these settings to be reasonable as long as the kpps setting is at 30.

i would be surprised if you have mechanical damage in your projector. showing us a video of the output will help identify the issue.

I'm not sure I understand you Swamidog. If I change the size value in Moncha or LSX everything including the ilda test pattern changes size when projected from the same distance. Don't those change the scan angles? if not, what does?

BTW, does tuning the scanner mean setting the "kilopoints per second" inside LSX?

I really hope the flickering is something which can be fixed by changing some setting and isn't a result of some mechanical damage inside the projector. I'll upload the video soon to show it.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I'll see how I can tune the scanner
    Here is a link to my scanner tuning tutorial that may be helpful. (Thanks to Lasershowparts.com for hosting that.)

I thought I could set the angle in Moncha and LSX, but they both take size values (0 to 255 and 0 to 1 respectively).
    As Chris mentioned above, the "size" value is an arbitrary number. Though once you take some measurements you can correlate the settings to a specific scan angle.

With Moncha, with the default 64 size the size of the projected ilda test pattern is around 10 square cm from 50cm distance between mirrors and the wall.
    That works out to around 11 degrees, which is too wide for tuning. You want to tune at or below 8 degrees. Also, it helps to have a longer throw (throw = distance from the projector to the wall) when tuning.

I suggest placing the projector 5 meters from the wall, and then adjust the size until the pattern is 60 cm tall. That should be close to 7 degrees. Then you can start tuning.

I've tried way smaller size values like 8 and there's still flickering.
    The ILDA test pattern will flicker a good bit. But if all your images are flickering (even those that have 400 points or less), then something else is wrong.

Example: The Lasermedia test pattern should not flicker when it is displayed. Do you have that test pattern available? If so, how does it look?

Adam

The next thing I tried was connecting to PC via Ethernet and controlling it with the Moncha software. haven't been able to do that yet.
    If you still haven't managed it, it is quite simple, but not obvious!
    After you've set the IP address on the Moncha.NET card, and you've installed the Moncha software, there will be a main Moncha icon, and another 'Moncha launcher' (or something similar) which you need to run first.
    This should auto-detect your Moncha.NET card, and once you've found it and saved and closed the application, the Moncha.NET card will show up as an output device in Moncha software.

I find that most patterns, particularly test patterns flicker, most of the time. It's simply the nature of the way laser images are displayed.

I would suggest trying to play your projector back to back with another one before you spend too long trying to root out a problem that may not actually be a problem, and even worse, fiddling with things that dont need to be fiddled with! In my experience the DT's come pretty well tuned from the factory.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Thanks norty. There were 3 icons after installation: the main Moncha program, "Moncha Search" which I think is the one you are talking about and another program for drawing frames with simple tools and primitives.
    I've made sure the IP in Moncha.net and in that program is the same, and added a device with that IP to the list in that program. But it didn't work.
    I'll post images when I get the time and hopefully we'll figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    I guess you also need to make shure that you are within the IP range that your computer uses. If you use a computer with both Wireless and onboard NIC they might be set to different ranges.

go to commandline and type: ipconfig /all

That will give you an idea of the range and subnets your machine is currently using.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

Have you been to the Moncha site and downloaded and read all of the setup instructions?
    I basically had to talk someone through it on the phone who was setting up a gig and he managed it simply based on following the instructions.
    It only connects once you've closed Moncha search application, until then the settings are not saved for Moncha to use. This was the only tricky part.
    We didn't have to specifically add a device, it was found automatically when search app was opened.
    Frikkin Lasers

It's been a while, but I don't think you need to set your PC IP address to the same as the Moncha.NET
    That would go against most networking good practise, and is the source of your problem (or partially)
    You just need to be on a machine connected to the same subnet and in the correct IP range.
    Frikkin Lasers

I wonder why they are using the default "192.168.1.22" in their tutorials. It's the default IP of the Moncha device as well.
    I suspect they use 192.168.1.22 in the tutorials because its what they set the Moncha.NEt to by default, to make things easier.

Not sure what you mean by 'use the default' I didn't really know there was a 'default' IP address for anything. Are you saying that your PC was already configured with a static IP of 192.168.1.22 before you ever started configuring the Moncha.NET?

Not sure where you are in the world (come on, fill out that profile.... ) but over here most network hardware comes out of the box with 192.168.0.1 as the gateway and a range up to 192.168.0.255
    Frikkin Lasers