Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first beam switch

Default My first beam switch

Simple stepper motor. I made a controller using 1 PIC16F628 and a ULN2803 Darlington Array. And some really bad code. I did manage to fit two steppers on one PIC.

I have come to the realization this weekend that in this hobby you have to learn a lot more than just how to work with lasers. I've had to teach myself how to work with metal. I've never even done any serious wood working.

Cool...

That looks just like the steppers you see on E-bay all the time - the ones advertized as "laser galvos" for like $25... Is that where you got it?

Adam

haha No! Those over priced crap! Nope I got them from an electronic surplus site. I got 10 of them for like $7.50

So with the controller, I'm guessing you've got about - what, $5 invested in each *pair* of steppers? (Less?)

You send a TTL (+5V) signal to the controller and it flips the stepper... Assuming you put a lightweight mirror on the end, you've got your beam table actuator. Cool... How fast can you switch them? (Spring return? Or does the controller "step" the motor back when you loose the TTL signal?)

I might be interested in this idea if I get one of my larger Argon's working... I'd like to build an old-school beam table, and this might be the way to do it. (Sure beats a shitload of GM20's)

Adam

Are you building scanners with mirrors or a beam blocking on-off flag switch?

Buffo:
    Yeah TTL from 4 to about 12V. When on step 4 and Hold when off step back 4 and Hold. This is where I got my idea http://www.laservisuals.com/optact.htm

And yeah these guys are on my Argon for a simple old-school beam table. At ab out $7 for 2 steppers and controller it's cheap. They do about 10 to 15 switches per second. They are pretty strong. I want to make 2 more and I'll have a video up.

steve-o:
    No Way Man! Just On-Off or bounce mirrors and maybe even put a filter to single out wavelengths.

Thumbs up

Very cool!

Keep us informed of your progress on this, please. I'd really like to do something just like this - assuming I can get one of these big argons going. I especially like the price!

Adam

Here is the Schematic. Don't laugh! This is actually my first shot at drawing one.

http://www.djdevnull.com/upload/bs.jpg

That looks easy enough to assemble. Programming the PIC is another problem, but I'm nowhere near that stage yet.

What would you charge for a set of 20 of these things (10 boards, 20 steppers) already programmed and soldered? Just curious... (There might be more interest in this idea here.)

Adam

There is a reason why there $75 ya know.. Parts are nothing. Labor is expensive. I would sell you some PICs preprogramed but it takes me like an 2 hrs to solder all that plus crimp ends. The minimum I'd charge is like $25 and hr at that rate just buy some.

But yes it's a simple circuit. I'd even program the chips for you. But if we can get some more ppl I can get printed circuits made. Then I could solder one up in about 15-30 min. So anybody else in?