Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Giant Laser Has Produced Nuclear Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    No. Just like my earlier post about big science/government/business corruption, the ISS is a scientific vampire. I am not arguing a fine point of funding optimization....
    Nor was I. My point was that the ISS is the only thing putting people out there for long enough to live with the conditions. It may benefit some Russian oligarchs more than most other rich and powerful people but I didn't even think about that much. If at all. What matters is that there is a co-operation for whatever reason, that results in people from several nations living in space, and these people spread the experience indirectly to others who will go, so long as there is a means. So the ISS's value to freedom and expansion of chances of human life beyond Earth is incalculably great, far greater than any actual expense involved in doing it. So vastly great a return for the spend that I won't even try to calculate it any more than I'll try to count grains of sand on a beach.

Re London and cities of gangs, that may be a problem that will get worse, I don't know. In the UK, violent crime figures are falling dramatically, according to a recent news report, and while south London had a few boroughs that top the rankings, it may be falling there too, relative to what it was. In the US case, once a city it lost to this, I don't know it will fall into a depravity that nothing can fix, or whether having got that much control, those people will want to civilise things. This isn't without precedent. Look at the history of Deadwood.

The thing about libertarianism is that people are expected to be able to take their freedoms and not wait for some magnanimous hand to bestow them. Which is ok but comes with the caveat that some people might not like the freedoms that others will take. And if libertarianism is used to favour one choice over another, I'm not sure it's libertarianism any more. Whatever it gets called, it's not a new thing, but a repeat of a very old one.

We allegedly (and I have no grounds to dispute it) came from ancestry who flapped its way legless in the mud in ways that make a blind depraved drunk look like a pinnacle of life's acheivement. It's amazing what people, and life in general, will tolerate, so long as the difficulty is a result of trying for freedom and change, and not just being stamped on by someone else. So the best chances of fixing this is to live and let live. Sure, there seem to be some groups of people who want to turn themselves into nazis, even daleks or rievers (in the Firefly sense of the word, far worse than those of the old Scots borders), but the best way to stop becoming like them is to let them pass, do nothing unless directly attacked. That's the one lesson that all life seems to have to learn, so we will fail very fast if we forget it now.

The derailment of this thread is the height of my evening; so many view points, all very valid. Carry on:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
    Not too long ago people on the other side of the world were 100% certain that if they sailed too far from shore, they would fall off the Earth. I sure am glad that an Italian sailor convinced the Spanish monarchy otherwise.

Who goes is not important, going is important.
    Spot on, that last point is what I'm getting at with valuing the ISS...

About the ocean's edge, I'm not to sure. I strongly suspect that many savvy people who climebed safely away from the sea each night after fishing, looked back at it from high ground, understood that the horizon extended further that way, and that approaching ships didn't just 'get bigger', they appeared showing the top of the mast, then maybe more masts would appear, extending downward in some detail of vision before the hull came into view. Any fool could deduce a curved surface, and instinctively, most did. I think it's a matter of record that SCIENCE was the last estabklished order on Earth to accept that the world was not flat! Scientific caution is one thing, but in this case it was a reaction to superstition and folklore and rumour that was as irrational as what it sought to avoid. I doubt it is the only time that science has made such mistakes.

I bet most of the wild stories from the sea are just that, things based in single events, like giant animals, or in commonly shared fears, or even shared awareness. Sailors would see cliffs fall back behind them, tops vanishing last, so they're in an even better position to know the surface wasn't flat. And like many groups of people who live in a tenuous way they form a bond and a culture that includes a willingness to baffle the larger culture with their own new ways and new tales. For all we know, they may have played up the 'flat earth' thing purely to take advantage of landlubbers who actually believed it. The existence of 'internet memes' proves how willingly masses of people will pick up and share the stupidest and strangest of notions. In a world where there was no reality check to reign in the nonsense faster than it spread, all kinds of established beliefs arose, but equally there will have been vast numbers of people who KNEW the world was not flat. After all, this is likely the the only reason that the paradigm shift, when it occured, happened as fast as it did. There must have been millions of people familiar to coasts telling themselves and each other 'of course it is' and wondering why people in academic towers couldn't see this as clearly as those in real ones!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    The existence of 'internet memes' proves how willingly masses of people will pick up and share the stupidest and strangest of notions.
    It's those people that make me doubt the 'staying power' of humanity! lol

Not too long ago people on the other side of the world were 100% certain that if they sailed too far from shore, they would fall off the Earth. I sure am glad that an Italian sailor convinced the Spanish monarchy otherwise.

Who goes is not important, going is important.

Before those guys were countless civilizations that transcended time, built Pyramids and The Great Sphinx, & the Mayan Temples and countless massive stone structures that can't be built today...and I aint talking about Egyptians...

1492 is sooooooooo 1492
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

The derailment of this thread is the height of my evening; so many view points, all very valid. Carry on:-)
    hehe - I worked at LLNL before it was "trendy" saw the small oscillators and large amplifiers and was shadowed by a guy while I took a piss - I see no need for laser-fision as I see no need for sharks with lasers on their heads - nuclear reactors are hazards waiting to happen, nuclear bombs were built to be used...wars are sooooo last millennia just saying'

I had to add...on the ISS - the only thing that comes to mind is Major Tom by David Bowie
    Last edited by Laserman532; 02-15-2014 at 17:27.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    hehe explorers? we are nothing but short living consciousness filled beings hurtling through space and time on a ball where we "think" we are an important evolved species. There again...you give "money" its validity as if it is equal to a butterfly or a 500 year old tree. If you want to be an explorer... find a shaman and take a DMT trip through the cosmos on ayahuasca and you never have to leave the log you are sitting on. You will experience more than ANY trip to ANY planet and you will gain knowledge and spiritual wealth that can not be measured.
    That works too. Most culture arose out of awareness of where it found itself, rather than the expansion into new territory. Archeolgists are forever finding new ways to confound or rule out old ideas of how we spread across a world, but those who built stuff left a legacy that can't be so easily lost or confused. As to why we do any of it, it cuts both ways, we can see it like Douglas Adams, for the whimsy of the whole doings and enjoy it like a surfer, or we can dig in and look at it deep and close, trying to get all the meaning we can out of it. Finding a world to live in is obviously not only about extending up and out, the small inner (un)worldly stuff shown by the tools quantum mechanics let us build is showing us reality as psychedelic as anything seen on LSD. We can even create small extensions to our world in little boxes now that make the TARDIS look the crudest of parlour tricks. Most of them having no meaning beyond what we can bring to them from our experience and shared awareness. We can surf our new views like a kid with a kaleidoscope, or we can build cautiously. It doesn't matter much either way, it all allows anything between the extremes. What matters about the small worlds we make is that we can defend them easily. That means that they may be how we learn to live in a tightly packed outer world. There's not much new in principle, it's why people painted rock walls and wrote stuff, and told tall tales in the evenings, but we now have ways to take it much further than we used to. The real danger is that if we take it too far, our bodies will lose the adaptations the outer world gave them because our minds can't stretch as far, at any one time, as we often think they can. At least, not if we want to keep that sense of 'self' together. And if we don't, then maybe all bets are off, and we might find that termites are as good a model of social organisation for extending up into space as anything we have tried. But I wouldn't want to live like a termite....

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    hehe - I worked at LLNL before it was "trendy" saw the small oscillators and large amplifiers and was shadowed by a guy while I took a piss - I see no need for laser-fision as I see no need for sharks with lasers on their heads - nuclear reactors are hazards waiting to happen, nuclear bombs were built to be used...wars are sooooo last millennia just saying'
    I TOTALLY agree with you regarding war. This 13 year conflict we are currently in has cost lives, national support, world credibility, tax payer dollars, etc. etc. etc. IT'S FUCKING STUPID!!!!! love begets love, and HATE begets HATE. This could be another thread entirely...

I'm torn on nuclear fission, as it is a *relatively* cheap way to boil water, but it has consequences. Bombs are one of them. Disposal of the waste is another. Honestly, between the earths heat & the sun, we should be able to sustain our needs without fission.

Laserman,

You pose two interesting views. On the one hand you ask "who gets to go" as if there is an outside determinant. Then you say Galt's Gulch is a state of mind. I'll agree that it is indeed a state of mind, and that 's necessary,but that is not sufficient. We are physical beings and it won't work to deny the physical component. There is real value if your 10th descendent feels an alien sun on her skin as she composes another song for the music class she has been teaching for 130 years. Many of her class look only approximately like modern humans...

Now, if you mean that unable to travel you are doing your part and have withdrawn your support for a corrupt and dying society then you were correct; we agree FARRRRR more than might be apparent. But, that by no means is the end its more like a beginning and that's why I am not at all depressed despite the dire picture I paint. I'm having a ball.

The thing about libertarianism is that people are expected to be able to take their freedoms and not wait for some magnanimous hand to bestow them. Which is ok but comes with the caveat that some people might not like the freedoms that others will take. And if libertarianism is used to favour one choice over another, I'm not sure it's libertarianism any more. Whatever it gets called, it's not a new thing, but a repeat of a very old one.
    Doc,

The fallacy is that libertarianism is a belief system not a force to favor a particular choice. At the risk of overreaching for this comparison your approach is similar to Eddie Willers. He was a good man as no doubt are you. But, the "system" cannot be tweaked. I truly believe it will end if not as Laserman suggests with a bang then as I believe with a whimper.

Maybe we need a WHOLE NEW category.

I TOTALLY agree with you regarding war. This 13 year conflict we are currently in has cost lives, national support, world credibility, tax payer dollars, etc. etc. etc. IT'S FUCKING STUPID!!!!! love begets love, and HATE begets HATE. This could be another thread entirely...

I'm torn on nuclear fission, as it is a *relatively* cheap way to boil water, but it has consequences. Bombs are one of them. Disposal of the waste is another. Honestly,
    between the earths heat & the sun, we should be able to sustain our needs without fission.
    disposing of the waste is no problem...we just make projectiles out of them and use them in war as in DUMPING DU in Iraq.

Our species could have been better off without splitting the atom. The first atomic bomb was detonated on July 16, 1945, in the Trinity test in New Mexico; Oppenheimer remarked later that it brought to mind words from the Bhagavad Gita: "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds... You sound young when you talk of a war for 13 years...this last series has been relatively humane...as wars go...

The human species is bored so you get the world we live in today - the reset button must be hit because it is too late. Ego has won over spirit...
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay