Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ihor Riya DACs DMX

Default Ihor Riya DACs DMX

I am writing this review based upon my dealings with Ihor at Riya.

Awhile back I purchased one of his mulitbus basic controllers in a package deal which included LDS.

I was waiting in anticipation for the DMX interface to be introduced in a firmware upgrade. Dr. Lava sent me the upgrade which worked perfectly with his Riya multibus basic in testing.

Dr. Lava gave me the pinouts of the firewire to XLR cable that needed to be made in order to interface the Riya DAC, I built it and toned it out it was exactly as prescribed by the good Dr. I hooked it up sent DMX from LSX to my moving lights and nothing happened. Next I used an O Scope and checked for DMX output from one of my movers in master slave mode it was clear as a bell on the scope I then checked the firewire interface DMX out from Riya mulitbus basic, nothing just noise. After speaking with the good Dr. we determined that the Chip for the DMX was not on my controller.

I have made several attempts to reach Ihor even before the DMX firmware upgrade he did not return one of my inquires. Again I have recently tried to reach him again nothing from him. I really need the DMX support on the DAC its is one of the reasons I purchased it knowing it would be available at some point.

Ihor will not return any of my PMs I am not sure if he even checks them so I will be trying his website contact next but I do not have a lot of confidence at this point that I will ever hear back from him. It seems I am stuck here I do not blame Dr. Lava for this it is Ihor that needs to support his own product.

I believe this is most likely why Etherdream is currently packaged with LSX and not Riya, and I suspect that Ihor has become disillusioned with selling products to laser show folks because of the smaller demand for his product than he originally may have expected but this is no excuse not to support the product and the customer. I cannot see how it would cost him very much to swap out the controller or supply the proper board for me to install.

I will update this review if I see resolution to this issue.
    Last edited by mmuhler; 01-08-2013 at 16:40.
    Dreamcaster Multimedia
    Visit our website:
    https://dreamcasterlasershows.com/

Open it up and take a good close picture of the pcb. It could be as simple as soldering in a $1.05 8 pin chip.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Dear mmuhler,

sorry for delay with answer:
    your PM arrived to me on Saturday, 00.35
    And... inour country Christmas is on January, 7-8; therefore my answer is only today.

DMX is optional at our Multibus Basic/Pro controllers; probably your controller have not this option.

For DMX support should be:
    - firmware version with DMX support;
    - RiyaSettings program with DMX support (and here should be activated DMX transceiver);
    - setted DMX connector;
    - setted DMX driver chip;
    - setted two jumpers on PC board

Are all it installed in your controller?

Hi Ihor
    I got your email I will check this tonight and get back to you

Thanks for the response

Best
    Michael
    Dreamcaster Multimedia
    Visit our website:

Default Here are the pictures of the PCB

Hello Ihor
    Here are the pictures you requested let me know if the electronics are there or what will be needed to get DMX in and out of my Riya from LSX I have the correct firmware loaded and have made the proper firewire to XLR cable. Are there jumpers that need to be soldered?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ttl copy.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	244.3 KB 
ID:	36415

Name:	DSC00058.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	4.87 MB 
ID:	36416

Name:	DSC00059.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	36417

Name:	DSC00061.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	36418
    Dreamcaster Multimedia
    Visit our website:

Quote Originally Posted by mmuhler View Post
    .. Are there jumpers that need to be soldered?
    No;
    at your pictures I see wires for connection extra options: TTL lines, and size regulator.
    (question: you use they? )

For DMX should be setted two jumpers:
    pin 1 to pin 3 on J8;
    pin 2 to pin 4 on J8
    all hese pins should be connected on bottom side of PCboard (on top side these pins are under SDcard connector...)
    I sent you photo to email...

P.S. I see, at your PCboard is DMX driver (SN75179BD)...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by riyalasers View Post
    No;
    at your pictures I see wires for connection extra options: TTL lines, and size regulator.
    (question: you use they? )

For DMX should be setted two jumpers:
    pin 1 to pin 3 on J8;
    pin 2 to pin 4 on J8
    all hese pins should be connected on bottom side of PCboard (on top side these pins are under SDcard connector...)
    I sent you photo to email...

P.S. I see, at your PCboard is DMX driver (SN75179BD)...
    Hi Ihor
    Yes I use the extra TTL lines for beam table actuators. See my signature and link below for actuators.

Ok I will jump those pins use the Riya DMX settings attachment you sent me in email Riya DMX drivers are already loaded thanks to the good Dr. Lava

I have a firewire to DMX cable done and checked so I should be in business no wonder I got zippo when I looked at the firewire connector out on the Oscope
    no Jumpers!

Thanks for all your help I will try and get back to you
    Dreamcaster Multimedia
    Visit our website:

Hi Ihor
    Bad news jumpers were there. I will try the Ryia DMX settings attachment you sent to see if that makes any difference. I am pretty sure I have been down the road but I will confirm. The DMX chip may be bad on the board.
    Dreamcaster Multimedia
    Visit our website:

My be your external DMX cable is not correct?

Try please connect DMX output to DMX input directly on PC board (Pin 1 of J3 to pin 1 of J4; pin 3 of J3 to pin 3 of J4), and test from RiyaSettings_test.exe program

I did ring out the cables but just in case I will try that as well Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by riyalasers View Post
    My be your external DMX cable is not correct?

Try please connect DMX output to DMX input directly on PC board (Pin 1 of J3 to pin 1 of J4; pin 3 of J3 to pin 3 of J4), and test from RiyaSettings_test.exe program
    Dreamcaster Multimedia
    Visit our website: