Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quickshow: beginer opinion

I certainly might Keith. I'll have a go and see how it is.

Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Everyone blame Al when they close down this loophole in a few releases, eh

I hardly think the few people on this forum constitute a major threat to sales.

Besides to an extent I also think it's somewhat outdated now having it locked (although I don't expect that to change), as Beyond has so much more to offer than QS ever possibly could.

When it 1st appeared, they were worryingly similar but now they're like night and day. Beyond is so much more powerful in so many ways, I very much doubt that being able to create cues in QS would stop Beyond purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Didn't Bill ask you to post the question in the Pangolin forums so he could respond there, or am I mistaking that with another issue?

Did you ever do that BTW? I kept meaning to remember to go and read it.
    No, I still haven't got permission to post for some reason - I skyped Bill before I went away and he's going to get it sorted out. Thanks Bill! Will get on that now I'm home.

I don't think the answer will be forthcoming from Pangolin otherwise Bill would have answered given the 2 opportunities to do so, once on PL with me asking and previously the other person asking about it on the Pangolin forum, however the LSX manual/help files go some way to explain the vector settings.

I am guessing that vector settings are important, given the secrecy, so am keen to learn more

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Keith, QS isn't designed to be huge on the creative side as its entry level software.

It is very powerful on the display side for what it is though. Just look at iShow and other comparable entry level softwares. QS is designed to be semi-professional ie fairly powerful but with some restrictions. If it was fully open, there'd be less reason to go Beyond.

That said, you can achieve far more than is immediately obvious by working around the restrictions.

eg. You can't create Synthesised Images.

However, you can take an existing Synthesised Image, copy it into a spare workspace cell, then right click and choose Edit.

By doing this, you can delete the content within it to leave the SI wrapper, and then start to add your own content using the Create / Add menus within the SI wrapper, thus allowing you to add shapes, effects etc and create your own S. Images. Similarly, if there's an effect similar to one you like, rather than starting from scratch, choose that as your starting point then instead of deleting the content, modify it by deleting or altering the Effects.

Unless they've blocked this, you can do this with not only SI's but all other types as well that are restricted. It just requires the lateral thought to get around the restrictions.

All of my cue packs were created this way in QS.

All you need to remember is to copy the cue 1st, before you start editing, otherwise you stand to lose your original cue!
    Ahh, well that makes it a little more creative, thanks for that little nugget

Quote Originally Posted by Revmutt View Post
    not only does the software run smoothly but it does so to the degree that I'm not rushing to upgrade or switch to emulation. It actually runs on what many windows users would view as an old piece of crap.
    Hi Tommy!

Welcome to the Pangolin Family! I am glad to hear that your experience was as we intended. We specifically crafted the product to work the way you are seeing, and yes, even on slow processors. Before we released QuickShow we loaded it onto literally 100 PCs at customer sites in China, and saw the results. When problems were seen, we did fine-tuning. The result is what you see now. Basically, we wanted it to be usable regardless of the PC and other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    I was unable to get an explanation as to some software settings included in Quick show which I found very odd. Others too have been unable to get a response to the question regarding vector settings.
    As I wrote in the past, so many of your posts made you appear as though you were a competitor who merely created an alternative logon/identity. Many of your posts are hyper-critical of Pangolin and unbelievably flattering to one other competitor. If I can use an analogy, expressing favoritism for Mac over PC is one thing (and I do that all the time). But damning the PC all to hell while praising all things Mac and having pictures of Steve Jobs above your mantle makes you look either like an Apple employee or an extreme fanatic. <end of analogy> So for many months that's how you came across to me. I'm glad our Skype sessions have helped to clear the air (and that you're not an Apple employee )

No, I still haven't got permission to post for some reason - I skyped Bill before I went away and he's going to get it sorted out.
    I'm sure it has nothing to do with "permission". My guess is that it's a browser incompatibility issue or something of the like. Perhaps even a forgotten logon or password. Please contact Bob as I mentioned. Bob will for sure get you all fixed up.

I don't think the answer will be forthcoming from Pangolin otherwise Bill would have answered given the 2 opportunities to do so
    Oh but I *DID* answer! I suggested that you, and the other fellow, post the question in the BEYOND forum and I will answer it there. (We have our reasons for keeping the answer out of the QS forums and those reasons have already been explained, both here and on the Pangolin forum.)

I am guessing that vector settings are important, given the secrecy
    The reason for their "secrecy" has already been explained in several forum threads. If everyone who bought QS at Sam Ash music or Guitar Center in the USA, or Music Store and Thomann in Europe, or even on the shelves of music stores in back-woods countries (yes, I've heard stories and users sent me iPhone photos to demonstrate that QS has become so ubiquitous, that it's available at all of these places) and started messing with these settings, then it generates a phone call.

And I have quite the opposite view that the vector settings are so "important". In fact these are so unimportant that I've contemplated completely removing them from view of the user. Why? Because the default settings are ones crafted by me personally. If someone can really and truly get better performance than I could, I'll hire them (and I'm serious about this!)

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Keith, QS isn't designed to be huge on the creative side as its entry level software.
    Hehe. Our initial goal was to write "simple software". But that is impossible for us... All throughout the development phase, we kept adding and adding features. During each late night of coding, we'd be guzzling Coke and mumbling "simple software". In the end QS is 400,000 lines of code -- that's around 3 times the size of LivePRO!

So sure, it's "entry-level software" for Pangolin. But I firmly believe it IS "huge on the creative side" and we have proof! Before BEYOND came out, our professional users actually started migrating from LD2000 to QS!! And I often talk to Justin about creating a page called "Powered by QuickShow" to show off the very impressive work being done with it! You need to look no further than the Powered By Pangolin section of Facebook to see many people who are being successful with it.

Are you likely to play with cue creation Tommy? If so I'd like to see how you get along. I've had no success with about 3 hours of playing, solely with cue creation.
    I'm sorry that you haven't quite figured it out Keith, but my conclusion is that your mind works in a way in which it excels with much more complicated software, but gets stuck with simple software.

Relating this to me personally, I literally can't use anything that Adobe makes. Literally nothing... It works in a way that I can't wrap my mind around. But clearly Adobe PhotoShop is such a favorite in the marketplace (along with their other famous tools) that it makes them a leader in their fields. So what does this mean that Bill Benner can't use it? Well it means either they change, or Bill Benner uses other tools that are more to his liking. (I'll let you know when Adobe changes ...)

Nevertheless, in a separate forum thread, I posted more than a dozen videos of shows done solely with QuickShow. So these are a testament that QS works, and people can be successful with it (similar to how there is clear evidence that Adobe products work, even though Bill Benner can't use them...). Heck, we wouldn't be cranking out more than 400 in a single day if it didn't!

But QS was literally crafted to work and deliver ONE kind of customer experience. My next door neighbor is a famous user interface expert, whose patented designs are used by Google, Oracle, Cisco and many others. Although we've maintained a friendly relationship and often talk about UI design while watering our lawns and while our kids used to play together, he consulted on the creation of QS and the QS experience. QS *delivers*, for folks like Tommy and in fact, most others. It was designed with a certain kind of user in mind and it hits that mark squarely.

By the way, Keith, you're not the user that QS was intended for, but thankfully there are more Tommys than there are Keiths, which is why QS is such a successful product. Fortunately we do have other products that WERE designed for folks like you, and I do believe once you fully discover them, that they will one day become your preference.

In any event, it's not our intention to be "all things to all people", and we have no problem with people using software made by others or even themselves (as is often the case here on PL). And even if particular people do not use Pangolin software, there are still many other unique offerings from us that they can use, such as our safety products, wide-angle lenses, scanners, and of course there is a lot of free information found at our web site that can not be found anywhere else.

Anyway, Welcome Tommy! Let us know if you need anything. If you're located in North America you can call 1-800-PANGOLIN practically any time, day or night and we'll be there to help. (I've also called that number from Europe and it works, but it's no longer toll free...)

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 02-18-2014 at 12:23.