Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy World Pangolin Day!

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Default Happy World Pangolin Day!

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

That's one crazy critter. It would be an interesting pet.

Anyone know the story of how the name "Pangolin" was chosen for the laser software company?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Yep, but I'm sworn to secrecy.
    PM Pat Murphy and see if he tells you.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Bill Benner posted that story on pl a while ago. Not sure where to find it, but in my memory it was a combination of a bet and a national geographic documentary.

full story posted below
    Last edited by colouredmirrorball; 02-16-2014 at 12:00.

That's cool! I want one!

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    That's cool! I want one!
    You need to meet my Mother in law, she has hard skin, rock back and forth in a chair and likes to stir the sh1t.
    Squat that bug,

One day I'll finish my build.
    https://www.facebook.com/Azteclasers?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by tonyaztec View Post
    You need to meet my Mother in law, she has hard skin, rock back and forth in a chair and likes to stir the sh1t.
    Haha, as long as she doesn't mind if I invite my friends around while we point, laugh at and film her crazy anticks!

Here's the answer from Patrick Murphy...........

"I actually remember the naming of Pangolin very well. I can see in my mind where I was standing and what I was working on.

Before I went to college, I was a graphic artist. That is how I could major in "Laser Art and Technology", because I had a "real job". After college I continued working as a graphic artist. One of my clients was the World Wildlife Fund U.S. main office in Washington, D.C.

In August 1983 I was working on the September 1983 issue of their publication "Focus". My college friend Andrea Gates was visiting and chatting while I pasted up on my homebuilt light table. The lead article in "Focus" had a photo of a pangolin. Of course, we had never heard of this funny-sounding animal. She and I started making jokes about famous TV shows with the word "Pangolin" in them (like Adam said, "My Three Pangolins" was one of those shows). Sorry, there was no alcohol and no actual TV watching. It was just funny (to us...) at the time.

Sometime in the next year, I had to name my graphic arts business. Remembering our hilarity, I called it "Pangolin Graphic Design". The logo was a clip-art drawing of a Pangolin.

In the meantime, I had continued doing laser shows and laser software development. I worked with David Lytle as "Nightlight Laser Design Studio". But after David moved to Portland, Oregon he kept that name. For my laser work, I needed a new name.

I already had a business telephone line for Pangolin Graphic Design, and I didn't want to get a new line for the laser business. So I called it "Pangolin Laser Software". That way, when I answered the phone I could just say "Pangolin", and it would work for either business.

So that is where the "Pangolin" comes from!

-- Patrick

PS: Incidentally, the red-bar "P" logo for Pangolin Laser was developed specifically so it would look good on the low-res computers and printers of the time. The logo had no curved or slanted edges. Everything was rectangular, so edges and corners were always crisp. Bill later developed the 3D perspective version of the logo."

Nice story

Keith