Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So,,,I went and did "IT",,,

I suspect that Steve might be about to murmur the words 'Oudin coil'.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    I suspect that Steve might be about to murmur the words 'Oudin coil'.
    ..Mmyeah, sounds like his tube is gas-intact, but.. Mike - Are you saying that 'Head 1' does have full current-control, on the 'second' PSU, (for 'Head 2'..)? If-so, and Head 2 is igniting / maintaining the plasma glo (..but not lasing..), and you have no current-control on it (on the same-PSU that 'Head 1' is fine / has-control-on..) then I'd side w/ Steve in suspecting some bad-connection in the 'CPC' (plastic connector..) on Head 2.. either some pins aren't seating-properly, (or missing..) Or, some other-aspect of 'feedback' to the PSU is missing / damaged, ie: the light-reg sensor, etc, as Steve suggests.....

..Sure, if the current is too-low, you won't lase, but.. If these PSUs are set-such, that there should-be sufficient current to lase at 'min' settings, then perhaps you've either got high-enough pressure to allow ignition (..but not lasing..) or you're simply out of alignment. ..You might try to adjust the 'Vertical' on the rear-plate, but I'd have to see the config of yer head to point-out which one...

Can you post pix, both of the head, w/ cover off, and also, the 'glow' you're seeing? If, indeed, you're seeing a 'super-luminescent' bright spot in the center of the blue-glo, that usually indicates you're pretty-close to being 'on' with the HR-position (..therefore, you should be really close on alignment..) and I'd go back to suspecting gas-pressure or a bad-connector / something in the feedback-circuit..

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Tried both power supplies on both heads again and the power supplies are not the issue for sure. Head2 does glow orange from the heater filament? No purpleish glow. After the delay it starts ticking with a blue beam,so I don't think alignment is the issue correct? The filament and tube currents are seperately controlled right? There seems to be no tube current?
    Heading back to Sam's lol
    Mike

Lightbulb

Hi Mike -

Quote Originally Posted by HD58PHD View Post
    ...Head2 does glow orange from the heater filament? No purpleish glow.
    The 'purpleish glow' would come after the 'ticking' (that's the starter..) Oh, and the 'filament' is called a "cathode". Easier to understand what you're ref'ing if we're using the same terms..

..After the delay it starts ticking with a blue beam,... so I don't think alignment is the issue correct?
    OK, you're confusing the remote-diagnosis with use of the word 'beam'.. If you had an actual beam, I don't think we would be having this conversation. So, if by 'blue beam', you are meaning a constant 'plasma glow' - a 'purpleish white 'glow' that will-reflect of the rear-mirror (called the 'HR' or high-reflector..) and 'project' a spot onto a surface it encounters..

..If there is an 'especially-bright center', that is called the 'superluminescence' spot, and indicates that your 'tuning' is usually close to being spot-on.. If there's enough tube-current, then you should be close to lasing (..making an actual beam..) ..But, you'll never get to the point of lasing, if a) the 'feedback' to the psu is not all working / connected correctly (and, therefore, the psu is not driving sufficient-current into the tube to get it lasing..) and yes, b) if the thing is out of tune.. (alignment..)

The filament and tube currents are seperately controlled right? There seems to be no tube current?
    Yes, the *cathode* voltage and current are separate from tube V and current, and are usually 'fixed'. Tube voltage and current are variable, and usually either 'Light regulated' (driven to a 'fixed' current, based on chip-stored values to achieve a certain 'amount' of power ie: You 'call' for 1 Watt on the dial; the psu will crank up the tube-current to, say, 25 Amps, and that (if all OEM tube-parameters (gas-pressure / voltage / alignment, etc..) are in-range..) will give you 1W of beam-power..) or 'Current regulated', which means You are driving the current, as-per the dials on the control-panel, as you wish..

..Again, there are a few reasons your tube might not be maintaining ignition, as Steve mentioned, so.. First, let's determine: Is your 'purplish-glow' constant? Or, does it only 'flash', when the 'ticking' happens? Lettuce know.

PS - Where in 'Ca' are you? Our shop is in Van Nuys.. Perhaps we could work out an 'office visit'. I have much, much shop-time, coming-up soon..

cheers..
    j

So just to be sure,turn on tube current and the filament starts glowing,30 or so seconds later ticking begins with a bright blue spot on the wall at the hr end and brighter spot on the wall at the oc end. No plasma glow,just the glow from the cathode.
    Mike

...30 or so seconds later ticking begins with a bright blue spot on the wall at the hr end and brighter spot on the wall at the oc end. No plasma glow..
    OK, yep, your tube is not starting (duh.. / maintaining plasma-ignition.. I'm gonna call tube-pressure / bad-connector. ...Steve.. Whatcha think?

PS - Mike, where in Cali are ya? Lemme know..
    j

Sounds like the tube is high pressure, but unless he can measure tube voltage (while protecting his DVM from the killer HV pulse from the ignitor) we can't be sure.

Adam