Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: I got bored...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    147

    Default I got bored...

    And drilled 950 4-40 holes into a piece of mic6.

    Anybody else want one?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	42298
    Neat!

  2. #2
    swamidog's Avatar
    swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    santa fe, nm
    Posts
    1,545,444

    Default

    Is it tapped?

    Quote Originally Posted by laserlackey View Post
    And drilled 950 4-40 holes into a piece of mic6.

    Anybody else want one?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	42298

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SoCal / San Salvador / NY
    Posts
    4,019

    Default

    Portable Air Hockey?

    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    Is it tapped?
    It'll be finished in about a half hour. Hopefully the tap didn't break! Will post pictures of the result soon
    Neat!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Oh I thought you meant by hand. wow- Is that piece as thick as it looks?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    147

    Default

    And 3 hours later, here's the result:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	42299
    Neat!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,478

    Default

    How much would you sell that for?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    147

    Default

    If I did it again, I wouldn't make the holes a half inch deep. I think .300" would be sufficient, and would probably cut a good 45 minutes off the machining time. I also wouldn't use 1.5" mic6, probably 1", which would save even more cash.

    I've probably got about $150 in it all together if I charged my shop rate plus material. This happened to be scrap and I ran it after hours instead of paying one of my employees to do it.

    What does something like this even go for? And do the holes really need to be on .250" centers?

    [edit] here's another picture. Can't wait to make some photons on it. I'm debating sending it out for black anodize to improve safety in the lab.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	42300
    Neat!

  9. #9
    swamidog's Avatar
    swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    santa fe, nm
    Posts
    1,545,444

    Default

    they go for a lot..

    search for "SA optical breadboard" on newport or thorlabs.

    Quote Originally Posted by laserlackey View Post
    If I did it again, I wouldn't make the holes a half inch deep. I think .300" would be sufficient, and would probably cut a good 45 minutes off the machining time. I also wouldn't use 1.5" mic6, probably 1", which would save even more cash.

    I've probably got about $150 in it all together if I charged my shop rate plus material. This happened to be scrap and I ran it after hours instead of paying one of my employees to do it.

    What does something like this even go for? And do the holes really need to be on .250" centers?

    [edit] here's another picture. Can't wait to make some photons on it. I'm debating sending it out for black anodize to improve safety in the lab.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	42300
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    they go for a lot..

    search for "SA optical breadboard" on newport or thorlabs.
    This plate is roughly 8x11 and 1.5" thick, and I did 6.5x9.5" worth of 4-40 holes on .25" centers. Mic6 is .005"/ft. flatness without needing any grinding, which is what Thor is selling (although they claim theirs has been ground, but grinding aluminum is a PITA because it's actually quite 'gummy' on a grinding wheel). Add anodizing for $30 or so. I could reasonably do these for $180 out of 1" mic6 with optical black anodizing.
    Neat!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •