Thread: Microwaves, sound wirelessly converted to direct current

Default Microwaves, sound wirelessly converted to direct current

Thought I'd share this as it sounds rather exciting as energy harvesting goes.

I wonder what this technology will lead to?

"This is a restricted site.

In order to access this magazine, you must be an authorized subscriber."

Derp.....

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

Sorry guys - my bad. This is the original paper.

Worth subscribing to these guys if you want interesting articles and new developments in lasery type stuff.

Thanks. Looks like it will go over my head very fast, but nice to see one of those things that lets me see the whole text. I've seen lots of sites liek those that only show the abstract before they start demanding name, rank, serial number, or even money.

Re Photonics Spectra, I used to have a load of paper magazines of theirs. But then after getting some internettedness I discovered the LaserFAQ. Even without the glossy pictures I found it showed me more. Well, it made it all seem more reachable anyway.

EDIT:
    I still don't understand it but it reminded me of the ion-beam etched plates that form the coolers intended to surpass TEC's (coolchips, I think the name is), and maybe KTP counts as a metamaterial too, but maybe they mean some other way to do frequency doubling. The one thing most of these ideas seem to have in common is energy conversion in a way that amounts to practical variants of Maxwell's Demon.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 02-21-2014 at 03:49.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    Thanks. Looks like it will go over my head very fast, but nice to see one of those things that lets me see the whole text. I've seen lots of sites liek those that only show the abstract before they start demanding name, rank, serial number, or even money.

Re Photonics Spectra, I used to have a load of paper magazines of theirs. But then after getting some internettedness I discovered the LaserFAQ. Even without the glossy pictures I found it showed me more. Well, it made it all seem more reachable anyway.

EDIT:
    I still don't understand it but it reminded me of the ion-beam etched plates that form the coolers intended to surpass TEC's (coolchips, I think the name is), and maybe KTP counts as a metamaterial too, but maybe they mean some other way to do frequency doubling. The one thing most of these ideas seem to have in common is energy conversion in a way that amounts to practical variants of Maxwell's Demon.
    Yeah, the paper is way above my head too. That's why I linked to the Photonics Spectra newsletter as it was quite simple to understand in that.

Haven't heard about Maxwell's Demon for ages - I had to look it up! It certainly is starting to become practical now.

was one at Utah university that converted sound the electricity

Piezo? Or something else? I ask because there was talk of a kind of Helmholtz resonator-like thinger that pumped heat when sound was put into it, and that might end up making DC current. Also, any variant of the second will be limited by more classical heat mechanics, it won't start looking like Maxwell's Demon magic the way this new stuff will.

It's going to take me a while to get used to all this stuff. It looks like we're on the verge of seeing a flood of tech that really will look like impossible sci-fi to most people.

The article says that they work on a similar principle to solar panels except that they can be tuned to convert different energy sources.

I wonder if this technology could be used to improve the old beta batteries that used to be used in pacemakers? Maybe it could change how the energy from nuclear power is harvested too.

It does indeed seem like like sci-fi.

Keith