Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using O-Like G2 lenses?

Default Anyone using O-Like G2 lenses?

They are doing a GB for them on LPF. Looks like they are close to the same specs at a fraction of the cost.

Pulled from LPF.

TEST USING M-140 (1.38A) - BlueFan TEC LPM
    Optical power with 3-element lens: 1070 mW
    Optical power with genuine G-2 lens: 1480 mW
    Optical power with the o-like fake "G-2": 1425 mW
    He also noted the following: "The dot looks about the same as the genuine G-2. It is fully line-shaped, not cropped like with the 3-element one. Also the inner brass ring that kept the lens in place was a little loose, needed tightening. So build quality is not totally great."
    Maybe we should get a GB going here. For 200 pieces the price is ~$10 shipped.

Anyone using them here?
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

I guess not, LOL.

Or am I missing something?
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Several people use the O-like lens. CD-Beam had a 445 blue that used one, and it looked pretty good. My understanding is that it performs reasonably well, especially considering the low cost, but the G2 has lower losses (but the G2 is also much more expensive.)

Adam

Might be a dumb question, but it seems like there is only one to choose from. I thought there was one for each colour. Is this really "one size fits all", or should they be made/ordered for the specific wavelength?
    I recently ordered the DTR RGB bundle with glass lensens, but with with $10 a pop, i guess theese are to tested.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

They are made for ~445nm, but so are the other G2s. The lens lets more light through than all the rest of the popular lenses. So you may not get the same same boost as you get from 445 on a 520, but it will still be better than a typical single, or 3 element lens. Same for reds.

Looks like the lenses has approximately the same efficiency ratios with different wavelengths as the genuine G-2. Again, it's much better than the three element glass but a little worse than the G-2.

Red 638nm:
    Fake G-2: 175mW
    Genuine G-2: 182mW

Violet 405nm:
    Fake G-2: 372mW
    Genuine G-2: 382 mW

Might be a good time for me to slip in the question:
    Where are you guys getting your G2 lenses?

They originated from Laser66s web site, then DTR started selling them. Now you can get them off 9mm 445nm diode projectors. But not all projectors are created equal. I think the good lenses are from the Ben Q projectors.

Quote Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post
    They originated from Laser66s web site, then DTR started selling them. Now you can get them off 9mm 445nm diode projectors. But not all projectors are created equal. I think the good lenses are from the Ben Q projectors.
    Thanks! learned something new there. Didn't know lenses were salvaged as well.

I have one of the "fake" G-2s and they do perform almost as well as the Laser66 lenses at a fraction of the cost. The salvaged lenses from the 9mm laser diode projectors are not G-2 lenses, but I believe people are calling them G-9 lenses. I have one of these too, but am waiting for a host coming from Dubai to put it and the "G-9" lens in. I expect it to out put close to 3 watts, driving it with a 2.35 amp buck driver.

You are correct. IIRC they have the same stats as the G2.