Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Other hobbies and money-pit obsessions...

... one of my hobbies is DIY-micro- and nanotech -- the costs are managable, when participating on development projects and collecting and 'refurbishing' the remnants of this projects after they are finished ;-)

Viktor

Great thread!

..not that I have time anymore ..but, 'back in the day', my passion was 'scratchbuilding' / detailing of all-manner of models / rocketry, and, once the laser-hobby took hold, hand-crafting 'non-traditional' pj-designs..
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...chmentid=11533 / http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...8&d=1232703199 / http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...9&d=1232703199 ..etc,

..when my Boyz came along, there seemed to be a never-ending 'to-do list' list of projekts, mostly anything crafted w/ wood, ie: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...2&d=1232705317 / http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...1&d=1232705317 ..etc

..and of course, like me, they were both exploring-insatiable and dyed-in-the-wool rockhounds. Also, keen on target-shooting / archery, but, alas.. no extra-bux or time fer such 'luxuries', anymore.. ..maybe again, someday..

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

... apropos of this "micro- and nanotech" stuff -- posted images of some related parts in this thread, post #12: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ghlight=viktor

Digging all the photos folks are posting...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Hello,

Along with lasers and helicopters, I am also into model trains. Mostly N-gauge, but I do have some DCC controlled HO-scale.

Here are some pictures of my N-gauge layout:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N-gauge1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	4.89 MB 
ID:	42320

Name:	N-gauge2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	42321

Name:	N-gauge3.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	4.84 MB 
ID:	42322

This layout is DC powered and can run six individual trains at the same time.

ED

I have an '86 TRX250R that LOVES to eat money. I am actually headed out to the dunes in 2 weeks.

Name:	250r01.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	42323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250r02.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	42324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250r03.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	42325

Halloween has become a major hobby that is finding its way into my wallet the same that lasers have. It seems like every year, I spend double on yard props/equipment than the previous year. Guys... WTH is wrong with us!?
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
    If you know of a place around Huntsville to shoot the 50 and you're interested in trying it, let me know. I could bring it with me when I head that way.
    Cookeville is not that far away.....

I'll bring the tannerite.

Aside from the lasers I've also been doing more traditional lighting for many years. The requirement for multiples of everything makes it more expensive than lasers.
    If you think decent laser control is expensive look at the price of any decent lighting console, even in the used market.

Like others here I also fly RC aircraft of the slope soaring variety. Modern competition models are all carbon or carbon Kevlar composites so fairly pricey.

And then there's the motorbike....

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	42326Click image for larger version. 

Views:	33 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	42327Click image for larger version. 

Views:	28 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	42328
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    ...Guys... WTH is wrong with us!?
    We're all broke in the head, and probably in the wallet, as well!

Keep posting folks -
    This is way cool!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Well.... I'll chime in. As I've mentioned on occassion, I'm a recovering alcoholic so, "addictive personality" is very real and it seems like whatever I've gotten into, it's been to excess. Doesn't matter what it is, once I'm into it, it's to excess.

I've also tended to move from one thing to the next which is a reason I have also said that this current laser thing probably has a "shelf life" and eventually I'll move on to something else. Starting at an early age, it was rock and fossil collecting not unlike Swami's examples above and I still have some things including amethyst logs not unlike what he posted. It high school it was records and fairly high end stereo gear which carried into my late 20's. Also with the records, it was the search for rare and obscure vinyl and my best friend and I even flew to London and spent about 10 days haunting all the record shops in Camden Town. I still have about 2500 albums in storage right now. I had "surround sound" long before it became popular running about 14 speakers off several amps and utilizing a Yamaha DSP 1 if anybody remembers that little gem.

At the same time, around college age it was photography and naturally had to build a darkroom - plus had maybe 7 SLR cameras, bunch of lenses, medium format gear, etc.

We vacationed every year on a lake in Canada at a fishing camp and when that bug really bit, naturally my tackle boxes were more like flight cases loadeed with artifical lures and I think there was about 10 rods, a bunch of spincast and baitcast reels - even one with a computer built in!

In my early 30's I started with tools because I was doing a lot of home repair/improvement projects for people plus automotive work. Being the good little addict, I needed to own every socket Craftsman makes and I managed to get all but about 6. Automotive stuff - good Lord, engine hoists, stands, hydraulic floor jacks, engine rebuilding tools... the list goes on. Wood working? Yep... lathe, table saws, band saws, drill press, scroll saws... still all in storage. I believe I own about 11 power drills of various types, just as an example.

Around 2000, got into gardening. That year I ended up with a huge vegetable garden, perrenial garden, planted several hundred bulbs of various types. Put in about a dozen types of clematis and for some reason settled on orchids. I thought it could be a good way to meet women. (Didn't work. Most of 'em are geriatric. LOL) I spent the bulk of the next 6 or 7 years getting heavily involved in growing orchids. Built a greenhouse that's still in the back yard and at one point had over 600 plants. I was the newsletter editor for my local orchid society and traveled to shows and symposiums up and down the mid atlantic region. That addiction has subsided thank goodness.

Then... about four years ago, I bought this $65 Chauvet spirograph 4.95mW laser off eBay. The end. Literally!

(and buffo says "Don't worry, quadcopters are inexpensive - you won't spend more than $250. HA!)

Edit- Oh yeah... since I'm a caterer, add to the list every kitchen gadget known to man and a few hundred cookbooks. And yes, both O and N gauge trains are in storage!
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 02-22-2014 at 19:24.