Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Other hobbies and money-pit obsessions...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    I think most of us probably aren't worried about a profit margin
    I know. I was talking about my collecting hobby vs all the other hobbies listed. Point is I'll make money, while you'll loose money. Then I'll use that money to buy your old hobby stuff when you're bored, LOL. (Sarcasm) But like you said, to each their own.

if we really "needed" something, it would probably no longer be a hobby anyway...
    Yeah right!!!! Tell that to all the people waiting on the 506s, and new Saturns!!! ROFL No one here "needs" 506's yet the whole forum is drooling.

Product programing is what makes the world go round. There is no shame in getting caught up in it, it just means you're just like everyone else. I'm not, thats all. If you saw what I use for a cell phone you'd laugh. I'll upload a picture later.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

Dont laugh too hard....

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

My hobbies started with bicycling as a kid that got serious in a touring way real fast. Rode all around the midwest in the early '70s and went Oregon to Virginia with Bikecentennial in 1976. Here's a pic of me on that ride the organizers used 20 years later.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BobOnCover.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	348.3 KB 
ID:	42408

After that it was all holography. Work was was when for other people, hobby was when it was for me, as it was with this one called "Rasta Dream" (1989).

Name:	Rasta Dream.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	42409

In the '90s I started experimenting with astronomy and hauled a 17.5" reflector around to view the stars. But then I saw the sun in hydrogen-alpha filtered light and I was hooked! Finding stability problems with conventional equipment, I designed and built a portable heliostat mount system described below.
    http://web.a.ebscohost.com/ehost/det...ch&AN=33220174

Now it's vintage lasers and pointers with a bit of the other three on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post

Seriously, I called my wife when I got back on the ground and told her that I might have to start another hobby. She was not amused...

And even though I know it would bankrupt me to get into flying, I gotta say that it's probably worth it. Chris is a very patient teacher, and the flight was pure joy. I would have stayed up there all day if I could have. (Honestly thinking about another trip down to Florida just to get together with him on a weekend to go flying again!) My wife is gonna kill me though...
    Adam
    Adam,
    Didn't you say your wife was going to punch me in the face if she ever met me?
    Not much of an incentive to take you up again.....
    You know I'm just kidding. You are more than welcome to fly with me any time.

Chris

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Name:	IMGP7111.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	341.4 KB 
ID:	42412

Pre flight check. Sorry for the blue tinge - I forgot to change the camera from tungsten to daylight.

oh boy...

sound system/home theater

(current)

old but shows speakers/tv

media server

pinball

ham radio

firearms

just goes on and on

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post

just goes on and on
    Jesus. Can I come live with you? Please?

Ever thought about getting Star Trek:TNG pinball? I'd really like to play that when I move in.

This is my other 'passion':

Name:	WolfMax.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	42414

its an '03 that I've had since '04. If I ever have to sell it I will never buy another bike!

Name:	YamahaXJR1300SF.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	519.4 KB 
ID:	42415

This was my Girlfriends bike but she needed to sell it so I bought it in case she ever wants to buy it back (that was 3 years ago!). Needless to say, this will go before the Max (sorry honey!).
    Cheers

Colin.

Anyone wanting to be a politician, should automatically be excluded from being one!

Heya flecom,
    You just got me off the hook with the mrs. I am not that bad after all.
    seriously thou,resale on the audio gear I have is really good.
    If I had to sell it in a hurry I could. I think they call it a liquid asset.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

all those beautiful xservs... i wouldn't mind a rack of those.

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    oh boy...

sound system/home theater

(current)

old but shows speakers/tv

media server

pinball

ham radio

firearms

just goes on and on
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.