Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chinese (or other low-cost) Lasers with FDA Variances

So whats the deal with Able-laser and their variance projector? Looks like they got a variance in 2010. But I don't see any paperwork since then. Has that fallen off the map? What happens if a projector is at one time variance but then doesn't have the manufactures annual update? I saw one for sale on ebay once as a used variance projector.

I never understood how they got it varianced in the first place.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

This thread discusses some of the recent conversations about Able which might answer your question.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...laser+variance

Quote Originally Posted by drm916 View Post
    So whats the deal with Able-laser and their variance projector? Looks like they got a variance in 2010. But I don't see any paperwork since then. Has that fallen off the map? What happens if a projector is at one time variance but then doesn't have the manufactures annual update? I saw one for sale on ebay once as a used variance projector.

I never understood how they got it varianced in the first place.
    I've spoke with the CDRH about Able's variance.
    They informed me that it is current and that they have filled all the required yearly documents to maintain that variance.

I own Able projectors.
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    ...he's been 'told' but he's just bloody defiant!..
    Heh, ya, Sorry, guys, I know.. I think these 'anti-Italian-acsii pills' are just not working..

Quote Originally Posted by drm916 View Post
    So whats the deal with Able-laser and their variance... I never understood how they got it varianced in the first place.
    Hey drm.. re: 'Able and their Variance', as Brad nicely-posted, the CDRH is saying that they've 'kept it current, by submitting their annual-reports', etc, etc.. So.. Seems they are, indeed, doing their 'homework'.. Rare for a Chijector-Co.. But, just curious - why do you say you 'never understood how they got it varianced'? Cause of what Marc observed? - http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...569#post273569 ..Or, do you have a system that is (clearly..) non-compliant? I'm asking to understand (not challenge..

..Since I also see this here: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...911#post277911 (..and HUGE-props to 'JD3', there, for bein so-astute / on-top of 'doin it right'.. (..See Doc? it's not 'just me'.. ..So, that's certainly seems to fit with the Approvals / FDA sign-off on these.. I do-wonder.. Perhaps the 'demo units' that Marc saw, were just, like, 'in-house models' they traveled with for the trade-sho, and they didn't figure it was 'necessary' to demo with the 'actual units' for-sale, for some bizarre (..and fail..) reason? <shrug>

..Anyhoo, just curious to know why you stated what you did.. I'd like to be *sure* I'm not recommending that people look at Chijectors, that are - in-fact, NOT compliant, if they're really not..

.Speaking of which... http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...893#post286893

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

My reason is because of the record keeping aspect. I was under the impression there had to be a US distributor or something that maintained the serial numbers and things like that.

I am interested in an able laser.. So I am not knocking them at all. I applaud them for doing their homework and keeping things legit.

Also not to get your hopes up. Able is cheap.. But not the cheap you're looking.
    Still looking at $4,000+ for a decent projector
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar

Not sure if you were talking to me or not JD3. But I am aware of what a good projector costs. I have a few varianced projectors and am a variance operator. I am just saying I am impressed that able was able to get the variance and maintain it. There is a language and geographic disadvantage for them.

The original poster is probably better off with x-laser and ez variance. He should get the skywriter series and then upgrade it to a Polaris system later if he can.

Was referring to the $2,000 post I saw somewhere up there
    -dnar

Default WASUP DOC

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 11:33.

Default Navigating the Laser Safety Minefield for Art and Why Bother

Uh, is there a rant room reserved for people to abuse each other? It makes it a bit challenging to work through the actual information. I'm a newbie here, but public spankings -- even when someone is well-intentioned but dead wrong -- do little to preserve the friendly welcoming character of this esteemed forum. When a new person sees someone offering incorrect information and getting smacked down for it, it doesn't encourage new people to share what they know. Just sayin'.

That said, thanks for all the information. Still trying to wade through it.

- - - Updated - - -

For my use, I am an artist with an interest in incorporating lasers into my practice. I am unlikely to become a professional laserist or laser consultant or laser reseller. I don't plan to put on shows exactly, nor really do I need to scan the audience per se. However, given the project I am working on, it is inevitable that people will be in contact with laser light, and so I want to make sure it is safe. At the risk of someone I trust here saying it is a stupid and/or impractical idea, here is more about the project: http://modes.io/co-related-space

So far, what I've gotten from this discussion is that it is difficult, time-consuming, and expensive and maybe should be left to professionals. However, I hear that a lot in other domains, and it turns out that usually, this is somewhat overstated. I understand that the knowledge that many people here have was hard-won, expensive, and time-consuming to learn. Therefore, it makes sense, since some of you make your living using that knowledge, that you might be reticent about sharing that with a laser dilettante like myself. However, I'm willing to put lots of work into it if you are willing to point me in the right direction toward concrete steps to learning what I need to learn to create a safe show.

I am an arts researcher at a university, one of the most risk-averse institutions known to human-kind. So climbing the laser safety mountain is no small feat. I have created a draft Laser Use Proposal. If you have an interest in pointing me toward resources that can help me both create safe exhibitions and assure my risk-averse institution, I certainly welcome your help. If you PM me, I'd be happy to share the draft of my proposal with you (and would welcome your comments on the doc).

I ask these questions because I am seeking to evaluate the lowest-cost path through the minefield of laser safety in order to have a safe and approved exhibition.

Wes