Thread: Huh, my split beams have lost their blue and red?

Question Huh, my split beams have lost their blue and red?

Most know about my ghettofabulous approx 300mW RGB projector. I had it spread out on a piece of wood and all the lasers on cd cases... Well I got a fat piece of aluminum off astroguy and moved everything over to it the other day.

For those who aren't familiar, I use microscope slides to split my beam just before the scanners. I split 3 beams off of it, I forget the measurments, but they are usually way different. Something like 15, 35 and close to 50 I think. I take each split beam and run it to a different effect. I have an old Laser FX, a liquid sky "scanner", and 2 motors with mirrors on them that are hooked to a PCB where you can alter the speeds pf the motor, lil gift from astroguy when we were at FLEM...

Now, before the migration from wood to aluminum, everything was fairly balanced color wise. I could get white on all 4 effects. Now that I have moved to the aluminum plate, two of the 4 are WAY more green than anything else... I'm using the same slides. I have even swapped slides amongst effect and scn't even move the green. Angle doesn't seem to matter... My main galvos seem to have lost some green too. At least that makes sense, but only to a point. (I got orange now, , can't get yellow... )

Any ideas to this mystery?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

arrrrr sounds like the old wood Problem ......

which direction did you have the grain facing and was it treated wood ... or waxed ..... any sign of dry rot or wood worm .... all these could have an effect and may have increased performance also if the surface had been painted that also could have created a 12th harmonic which in turn could double the light output

Bullshit i hear you shout ..... and you are right

but ( serious hat on now ) it sounds like you may have a ground / earthing issue with the laser heads and once you have moved all the laser heads onto the metal plate you have commoned the metal cases together and a grounding / powersupply issue has reduced the performance of one or more of the lasers

try mounting them on a heat conductive insultor to see if the return to full intensity / colour mix

all the best ... KARL

Red face

Heat conductive insolator...? That's an oxymoron isn't it?

I fingered it out... It was the angle or reflection off the slides. Everything was above the beam before and now everything is below. I moved one and noticed when I moved the beam's angle it was much more "color full" when aligned in it's higher spot. Figures it was the one thing I thought it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I fingered it out...
    Oooooh, that sounds painful, just where had you put that laser ??????

Jem

heat conductive insultor
    yer does sound stupid .... what i meant was a heat conductive electrical insulator like a sheet of mica .... the stuff thats put between mosfets and voltage reguators to insulate them from the chasis

but glad you sorted it

still think that it had something to do with the wood worm though

all the best ... KARL

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Oooooh, that sounds painful, just where had you put that laser ??????

Jem
    I hope he washed his hands after he was done...
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

Red face Grave dig...

These were the days...

Necromancy much ?