Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8W of Fun!

Default 8W of Fun!

Figured since my friend got a 20KW 3phz Generator we would run the laser at some decent power and snap a couple pics. Note thanks to my wife for the pix, I was more interested in burning things, and always forget the camera.

Heya Man

I'm loving your garage, it looks like my kind of place.

cheers

tinker

Wow very nice. I just love raw power.
    The Frothy Chimp
    Cynic Extraordinaire
    Back off man, I'm a scientist

Good whiskey, fine cigars, long legged women and blues guitar.
    That's what I like.

The strong shall stand, the weak shall fall by the wayside.

Nice,big monster!!
    http://www.viasho.com
    wzc@viasho.com
    Wechat & Whatsapp: +8613911142669

For the DPSS newbs like myself, could you please give a rundown on the kit thank you!

Very impressive... 8W is something to dream about for many of us.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstorm View Post
    ... 8W is something to dream about for many of us.
    But at what point does the dream become a nightmare?

At a recent UKLEM one of the guys brought his 10 watt CVL and I was very wary (and correctly so) of that beam cus you only get the chance to f*@& up once (eyewise) with that kind of power.
    As my personal interest in Lasers is for home use only then I think that 1 watt (well, maybe just a tad more) is enough for my own use but I've noticed a trend of late for peeps to be going after more and more powerful lasers.

I realise that Pro's who are doing outdoor shows need these monsters but do us hobbyists in our garages really need multiwatt projectors?

Just playing Devils Advocate .........

Well I have smaller lasers for indoor use but the plan is beam shows for this monster, I have grown up dreaming of owning lasers I saw in production use. I can still remember Kenny Rodgers 2W of green back in 1995ish. Just working on a faa variance for this unit and going to try to book out some outdoor displays.

<reply>I'm loving your garage, it looks like my kind of place.

Shame the 3ft tesla coil looming in the background some how evaded the pics. Lots of hobbies and free time.

Good point Sorofene. For myself I'm using lasers in my business and working towards a career flying planes. Which probably means pulsed stuff and the even more so the delicate safety that goes with it, is likely in the future.

I do remember the last serious lasers I saw and the power coming out of them was almost frightening now I think about it... I can't imagine the buzz and apprehension one must get picking up some new beasty laser, like the one above.

edit: show us ya tesla coil... I love those things. Was it worth building in the end, or was that one of those 'if you have to ask the question you shouldn't be bothering in the first place' sorts... I've been looking into making Lichtenberg figures as they fascinate me also... read up here about them http://205.243.100.155/frames/lichtenbergs.html preeeety cool!
    Last edited by Soulstorm; 07-27-2009 at 04:47. Reason: added more

When I get home I will throw a couple pics up, sitting at work now thinking of tinkering. Wish I could land a job as a designer or engineer for laser displays, then I would want to spend the day at work.

hey itaudi-

where abouts you from? BEAUTIFUL argon! is it a lexel? SP? looks like you got a bad-ass harley in there too! boys and our toys huh??

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems