Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: It all starts here...

This is getting annoying!! Seems whatever blew the fuse in my meter must have blown the Green laser diode too.

One new Green laser from DTR on the way (can't repair the one I have as I have no luck replacing diodes even taking all ESP precautions)
    Cheers

Colin.

Anyone wanting to be a politician, should automatically be excluded from being one!

Got my new Green module from DTR but here's the thing, the original one I got only had the Anode and Cathode wired. This one has the third pin wired too. What do you good people in PL recommend I do with this wire (do I just cut it off)?
    Last edited by WolfMax; 05-23-2014 at 00:09.
    Cheers

Colin.

Anyone wanting to be a politician, should automatically be excluded from being one!

Installed the new Green module, didn't work!! Just about to start screaming the place down when a thought occurred to me "maybe the LasOrb is the problem". Unsoldered the LAsOrb and...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140524_122153_637.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	810.5 KB 
ID:	43293

WE HAVE LIFE!

Name:	IMG_20140524_122354_483.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	43294

Above display created with Ishow for testing purposes. Quickshow + FB3 will be here next week hopefully
    Cheers

Colin.

Default ... And ends here!

Finished! Here are the last pics of the projector in it's case:

Name:	IMG_20140526_192254_188.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	43336

Name:	IMG_20140526_192316_413.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1,006.6 KB 
ID:	43337

Name:	IMG_20140526_192339_957.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	895.0 KB 
ID:	43338

Name:	IMG_20140526_193149_683.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	967.9 KB 
ID:	43339

Name:	IMG_20140526_193211_406.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	743.6 KB 
ID:	43340

Name:	IMG_20140628_162725_218.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1,022.2 KB 
ID:	43798

Name:	IMG_20140526_200423_379.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	968.2 KB 
ID:	43341

It's been an experience. One I'm glad I've had but not one I'll have again. I've fulfilled a dream I have had since I was 17, to make a scanning laser system. Now I can devote some more time to my partner as she has been a bit neglected during all of this!
    Last edited by WolfMax; 07-02-2014 at 03:56.
    Cheers

Colin.

Default Update.

I have updated my CAD file for the projector to include the ScannerMax Compact 506 scanner set I will be installing next year. Due to the size of the mount being smaller than the DT30 mount (I didn't realise how small until I compared them next to each other), I will need a new scanner deck 2mm thicker than the current one (finding this out was the whole reason for creating the 506 set in CAD). I could steer the laser beam down to the X mirror but the whole point of having a separate scanner deck was to be able to change it if a different scanner mount was bigger or smaller than the one being replaced.

Here is the CAD picture of the new layout.

Name:	506 Laser Projector CAD.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	45695

I created the objects from the datasheet published by ScannerMax. The sheet is available to help people design new or modify old projectors for the new scanners. I just extended the data into a 3D form for use in my virtual projector file.

I will not be making the CAD files available. Since the design is copyright and the files could be used for CNC to make mounts, it is my belief that I would be in breach of any license ScannerMax gives to use the data they published were I to do so. So please don't ask.

I have also made some minor changes to the projector. Namely, adding some handles to help pull the projector from its case, building an E-Stop and adding in the LED indicators that show when the lasers are armed. I will also be adding some fans with speed control and have an idea to route the filtered air flow through the optical deck to create a positive air pressure to help keep dust out when in use.

I'll post pics when I've done it.
    Last edited by WolfMax; 12-13-2014 at 14:19.
    Cheers

Colin.

Default Great Build / 506 Upgrade

Colin,

You did a great job on that build, first class! I think you built it rather fast also, and 'buttoned it up' nicely using cable anchors, etc.
    One thing to watch out for when you upgrade to 506's is that the cable on the scanner side is rather rigid for well over an inch before you can begin bending it. Looks like you will be OK on your Y-axis, but your X-axis might have an interference with your blue laser. I'm in the process of upgrading my graphics PJ from PT-20's to ScannerMAX 506's as well. Let me know if you need a picture with a ruler, I cant remember exactly how long the rigid part is but I did have to move some of my components around.

Also... I really understand what you meant by 'will probably never do it again'. Building a PJ is also a project I've been wanting to do for over 25 years.... It takes mechanical, electrical, and optical knowledge - and a strong respect for eye safety. I don't know about you, but it took me more hours than I will admit to get the beams to line up and combine

P.S. Be sure to post pictures of your next build, you know that your old scan set will find a home in your satellite PJ build next year, right ?

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    P.S. Be sure to post pictures of your next build, you know that your old scan set will find a home in your satellite PJ build next year, right ?

-Jason
    Weellll... I do have a Kam Laserscan 170 RGY that is now a 300 RGB (Red and Green lasers replaced with an RGB China brick), that I installed the controller and ILDA boards from a 1000 RGB 3D into. And a Kam Laserscan 300 RGB that I'm making an ILDA input board for (direct input by-passing the controller with differential to single ended converter circuit for the scanners), but I don't think I would get the driver amps in ether of the cases let alone the PSU (the Kams use +/- 15v for their scanners). I am planning to get a second FB3 and set them up as a mirrord pair for beam projection. I just need a couple of 3 - 4 way analogue driver boards (no space for individual boards). But I'll run them as TTL for now.
    Last edited by WolfMax; 12-17-2014 at 03:37. Reason: Got mixed up over what was done to which
    Cheers

Colin.

Very Nice! I love your design.
    Very original (coming from someone who built a projector in a fiberglass HP shipping case). The guys at SELEM call mine the James Bond projector.

Chris