Thread: HGM K7 Parts Laser Under Consideration

Default HGM K7 Parts Laser Under Consideration

I am considering the purchase of a HGM K7 laser currently described as "for parts." I'll be checking the tube with an Oudin coil before I offer any money. I know this model will not operate continuously under normal circumstances. If the tube is dead, the power supply may be worth considering.

Any opinions on this laser?

Thanks,

Willie

Default HGM K7 Laser - Home

I visited the seller of the HGM K7 laser last week. We plugged the laser into a 240 single phase outlet and initially there was no pulse at all; not even an indicator light. I then proceeded to pull off panels thinking I would test the tube with an Oudin coil. One of the side panels depressed an interlock switch which appeared to be jammed. After freeing the switch, I pressed the "On" switch and the unit powered-on! After a warm-up period, the standby light went on. With the foot switch and fiber in place, the laser immediately generated a nice green output! Of course, now I had to take it home.

Attached are pictures of the HGM with the covers off:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HGM K7 003.jpg  

HGM K7 011.jpg  

HGM K7 004.jpg  

HGM K7 006.jpg  

HGM K7 005.jpg  

HGM K7 014.jpg  

HGM K7 018.jpg  

Last edited by turbohead; 03-09-2014 at 15:10.

Default HGM K7 Laser - Home

I removed the collimation lens and machined a brass sleeve to engage the fiber interlock.

The cooling system is self contained and powered by four huge fans at the base of the unit.

The laser is unusual in several ways. The cathode (filament end) is where the beam exits. There are two separate tubes that combine into one beam at the front. One can select yellow (cutaneous) , green (cutaneous), and green (surgical). When "Yellow" is selected, a solenoid engaged a filter in the beam path.

I have not been able to find a Hobbs meter, so I do not know how many hours are on the tubes. Overall, the laser is in excellent condition and works flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by turbohead View Post
    ..Any opinions on this laser?
    That is quite the sweet little bird.. Not-often you see a Kr one of these.. Ya'outta haul it up to Van Nuys sometime, and we'll make some killer lumia-paintings..

cheers...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Just remember to leave the thermal controls in place, its not designed to run true CW for more then a few moments of time.

Usually those tubes do 4 lines, two green and two yellows, the yellow being 568 and 575. One of the greens will be 530, not sure on the other.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...