Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lasers: Coming to a Theater Near You

Default Lasers: Coming to a Theater Near You

All I can say is movie watching will be totally awesome knowing a 600W (yes Watt) will be the source of color.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-el...ampaign=022714

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    All I can say is movie watching will be totally awesome knowing a 600W (yes Watt) will be the source of color.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-el...ampaign=022714
    That is quite exciting - only, the reason I don't go to the cinema often here in the UK is that they charge about £5 for box of popcorn and £4 for a drink!

I wouldn't mind getting hold of one of those projectors on the scrap market though

Wow, imagine how many laser diodes can be harvested from such a projector.

There are two reasons IMHO why the Cinema is in decline.

1. People like watching movies in the comforts of their own home, where they can set the volume, they can pause to take of business and where they don't have to deal with the audience (teenagers making out, crying kids, the coughers, the cell phone users, and the talkers).

2. Until Hollywood can give us a decent movie (few and far between) there is no reason to spend as much for one viewing as buying and owning on digital media, to watch at any time.

The last picture I saw at the cinema was "Man of Steel". Holy God.... I can't believe paid professionals put that together, thus reinforcing point #2.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Home theater will never replace the feeling of a group shared emotion that public cinemas generate. Thats why people go to the movies. The biggest gripe I have is the cost. Thats whats driving people away from the the cinemas.

Hey Keith you can always sneak in beers, and munchies. At least in the US its not a problem. Its not like a rock concert where the pat you down, LOL.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

Not sure that "group shared emotion" does anything for me. I like movies at the theatre because the screen is HUGE and the audio is loud. Even though I have a surround sound system it just isn't the same watching a movie on my little 37" TV. I'd love to get a LCD projector and about an 8ft screen but they just aren't budging on the prices on those things. It's a bit ridiculous.

I LOVE going to the movies!! I'm sorry, but even an OK movie is GREAT in a 3D IMAX theater. As for the price of everything, I spend less at the theater than I would at the bar, and I leave more satisfied. But to each his own!

Well, thanks to this thread I went to ebay yesterday and bought some used video projector. Guess I will be having movie nights in the bonus room soon enough. I've also been meaning to make some laser shows that involve video so I can do that now, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Not sure that "group shared emotion" does anything for me.
    I've always laughed and cried harder in a theater than at home. Its a natural energy that only flows through crowds, like at concerts. But I do understand because my girlfriend doesnt get it either. Its too bad because its a wonderful feeling. I guess its one of those things you either get or dont. To take a quote from Chris McCandless' life, "Happiness only real when shared".
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

Quote Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post

Hey Keith you can always sneak in beers, and munchies. At least in the US its not a problem. Its not like a rock concert where the pat you down, LOL.
    Yes Mark, that's what I try to do, subject to what I'm doing before hand. I don't always have large enough pockets or a bag to smuggle said goodies in though

Projectors are awesome. When George and I came to UKLEM, we brought one of his projectors and set it up in the hotel room to watch a film. It was much better than the 17inch or so TV that they supplied!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0215.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	42386