Thread: Is This Safe ?

Default Is This Safe ?

Hi all
    I dont post much nowadays but i do try and keep up with whats happening on the forum
    Unfortunately an email that i received from the chinese company "lanlingtech.com" today compelled me to write this post

im really concerned that this unit is just not unsafe but an incident waiting to happen ...
    the power quoted in the mail is 1.6W with the blue beams being 3 x 300mW each

the problem i see is that a fixture like this ($380) is more likely to be installed in a small nightclub within close proximity of the dance floor

http://static.youku.com/v1.0.0608/v/...e5e00b1a9fc843

although the video looks well saturated and i guess appears brighter than it would in real life .... in my eyes ( and hopefully not ) it looks to be quite dangerous if positioned close to a dance floor

any thoughts on this ?

all the best..... Karl

Bloody hell - the peaceful music makes a lovely contrast to what appears to be an optical weapon.

Does it mention 'fat beams' by the way? They don't look all that thin. I've been wondering if they have a very different idea of MPE from how they sell some of their lasers and I've seen those touted as safe again and again.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Forgetting safety for a moment, it's actually a pretty dumb looking effect and the sales video doesn't do much to instill the desire to buy it so.... maybe very few will ever make it to market.
    PM Sent...

I did feel like the laser police when i posted that ...

yes frosty the "beemz" do look fat but at close proximity still look harmful. but as you say not as harmful as the music MPE = Music Punishment Experience
    and yes Brad... hopefully sales will be less than the requirement for hospital treatment

karl

I am actually curious about this. I mean, not in the way they are doing it but Sharpies are expensive and I am wondering if you could take a 2W+ diode (445nm to 520nm range) and expand it out to like, 3" diameter and then collimate it to give you a 3" beam with <.5mrad divergence. Could you cheaply emulate a Sharpie with a laser and stay within safe MPE? I know it sounds backward to emulate a Sharpie (which is trying to emulate a laser!) but people like that effect and a moving head has its advantages. Perhaps this is way too impractical since knock-off Sharpies are probably pretty affordable. Just a thought since I saw some moving LED heads that could be gutted for $80 on eBay.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.