Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: US Legal Audience Scanning Effect

Brad,

That makes me feel better about the flouresvent lighting issue. I've decided to buy the epson.

Since you already have 7 of the -6 ss lenses, you should buy my two -6 ss lenses so you can have a well rounded collection of 9! 😄 I know you are known for your laser gear hording, so 9 would have to be better than 7, right?

I'll check to see if epson has a short throw lens for the projector as an option.

Anyone know if a discoscan lense would work on the epson?

Thanks,
    Eric

Eric, just something to throw into the mix.

It doesn't appear from the posts that people are aware of it, but the Epson has been upgraded - there's a newer version out called the 5030UB in the US or the EH-TW9200 in Europe.

The contrast ratio is doubled on the newer model to 600K:1, luminosity still 2,400 lumens and price very similar.

As Bill always trumps contrast ratios above anything else, (and I understand he did test many many projectors before recommending the 5020UB), I would suggest this is probably a better buy.

Epson are also now doing some laser based projectors which have "absolute black" - LS 1000 from memory. However, the luminosity is only 1,300 lumens so I'd suggest the 5030UB is probably the best buy.

Europe: http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon...overview/12416

USA: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...seBVCookie=yes

(Links added).

Also, there's a firmware update for anyone with existing projectors.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I had actually sort of forgotten about this and the resurrection of the thread, coupled with the trip to CarribLEM where we audience scanned on both shows, has got me thinking about getting an Epson once again. Eric, I think you will be impressed. I forget just how good the Epson really looked at FLEM when we set it up. I'm anxious to hear your opinion. No.... sorry... I'm good on the -6 diopter lens. They have their purpose but, I don't think I have correct the projector or throw distance needed on any show I've done to warrant a -6. I'm actually hoping to talk to Pango about exchanging some of them.

Now... if they'll let me, then yes, 9 would be better than 7.

Quote Originally Posted by djeric68 View Post
    I know what you mean about the pluto w/ the -6 pango lens. i bought one and got the same results. I bought the lens for a bam type safety net if things ever got out of control, and never intended to A.S. with it, but i did try it at home "just to see" how it would look and agree it is not great.

The epson seems to be the way to go. I dont want to deal with the variance hassels needed to do A.S. and possible liability issues.
    Cool, Eric! We'll all appreciate an update after you get some time with the Epson. I suspect you'll be quite pleased with it.

Regarding the higher diopter SS lenses, they look decent in my opinion in single-mode rigs (or 473nm or 532nm lasers) or other such situations where divergences are similar and alignment is perfect. (I find I have to re-align after adding a SS lenses.) Common multi-mode laser beams however looks like total cr@p after even low diopter SS lens though, especially when projecting mixed colors where the difference in divergence makes a huge difference in the size of the beam. In any case, the non-coherent light comping out of a video projector should bypass this problem leaving white (or any color) "beams" white without significant color halos.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    It doesn't appear from the posts that people are aware of it, but the Epson has been upgraded - there's a newer version out called the 5030UB in the US or the EH-TW9200 in Europe.

The contrast ratio is doubled on the newer model to 600K:1, luminosity still 2,400 lumens and price very similar.
    I'm glad you mentioned this, White-Light. I saw the contrast ratio listed as 600K:1 on one website, but assumed it was a misstated as the spec manual from Epson which still said 320K:1. I guess it wasn't updated on the Epson site. The original difference between the UBe and the UB as I recall was that the UBe included a wireless router. The UB was slightly cheaper as a result. All of this said, 600K is definitely preferable to 320K, although both are still very high for 3 LCD projectors. An automated shutter on the video projector can get you to an infinite contrast ratio when you aren't actively projecting of course.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned this, White-Light. I saw the contrast ratio listed as 600K:1 on one website, but assumed it was a misstated as the spec manual from Epson which still said 320K:1. I guess it wasn't updated on the Epson site. The original difference between the UBe and the UB as I recall was that the UBe included a wireless router. The UB was slightly cheaper as a result. All of this said, 600K is definitely preferable to 320K, although both are still very high for 3 LCD projectors. An automated shutter on the video projector can get you to an infinite contrast ratio when you aren't actively projecting of course.

-David
    Hi David,

There should be 2 versions of the 5030 - both the UB and UBe, so it should be possible to get the 600K contrast with or without wireless. The 5030 itself, doesn't add wireless just the higher contrast ratio. I didn't mention the e version above because I wasn't sure of it's applicability to laser usage.

As for the 300K version, many sites are still selling the older 5020 version so you need to be careful when choosing where you purchase it from or what version you're purchasing.

I haven't seen either myself, but I am very interested in emulaser as I simply can't run laser safely in my home and view it from within the beams, and so I eagerly await purchasing reports / conclusions.

You would assume that if contrast is king, the 5030 version will be substantially better than the 5020 version especially as they have the same luminosity from memory.

Not sure how I missed this thread, but I have at least a little info to contribute. We used the laser over video in Beyond for a local NYE show, I'm including a couple of videos. The main rig dead center is all lasers, but the two flanks far to each side are standard, 5k Viewsonic projectors taken from rental stock from an AV Company. They worked great, and created an awesome crowd scanning atmosphere. This was an open air, rooftop event so you'll see lots of fog and ambient lighting, and they still manage to cut through.

https://youtu.be/v5zOUVoYQDw
    https://youtu.be/AlQ-V-XN2cE

Hey Defend,

Thanks for posting. Are those are 5K lumen projectors or Viewsonic 5K series projectors (which are closer to 3200 lumens from what I can see)?

In either case, your videos appear to do a good job of demonstrating what I would expect. The "beams" from the video projector are "solid colored" (e.g. no red halo like a laser with a SS lens that was put on a projector with a more divergent red than the rest) and from what I could tell, at least as relatively bright as I would expect a US MPE safe slow crowd scan to look like.

It'll still be nice to see a side by side of video against MPE compliant laser.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

They're 5K lumen projectors. You definitely get a tighter beam without the added divergence the lens produces. I had the pleasure of seeing a large crowd scanning show (8X Kvant heads, unsure of power as they were dialed down to meet MPE) recently, going off memory they seemed a little brighter than the 5K projectors we had, however I'm unsure of which MPE calculations they used as we were technically outside of the United States. The company that put on the show regularly works in the US, so I'd imagine they didn't stray far from those standards.

I'd love to see them side by side as well, video never does justice to what we see in person, makes it hard to gauge.