Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: US Legal Audience Scanning Effect

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    how much does this differ from just mirroring the laser preview window to a video projector?
    Probably addresses the contrast a bit better would be my guess. Preview window also has weird quirky elements that would be displayed. ie, round dots on the end of beams, beam breaks depending on how you have the ERP angle set
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar

I've said it before and I will say it again. BEYOND has special treatment for the EmuLaser. It does different processing....

We did "preview to video projector" 20 years ago, at Barney Kaelin's place (Laser Magic in California). Back when he was still alive, he got patents on this kind of thing, in association with JVC (you can find them on USPTO). So we've been doing this for a long time.

"Preview to video projector", works, is OK, but is not as good as what we have now. Basically 20 years of evolution in our thought process since our original testing -- you'd figure we would have learned a thing or two...

Bill

I don't think anyone doubts that Beyond EmuLaser is the best. Some of us just want to test the effect with what we have and imagine how much better it could be with Beyond and a brighter video projector. That is a very cool feature Bill!

One of the biggest problems with "just preview" is the thickness of the line that is drawn. For preview applications it's normally only a single pixel. Even when using OpenGL or DirectX, the line thickness is normally only set to 1.5 pixels (averaging to around 1 pixel with anti-aliasing). So this will make a very dim projected display. EmuLaser uses a different kind of line drawing algorithm to enhance brightness. Other non-uniform and non-linear techniques are also used. The result is a pretty bright display that really looks like a laser. (By the way, Aaron had a version of software around six months old -- our newer version is even better and more flexible.)

The biggest difference between our EmuLaser and anything that we had done in the past (and I think others too) is that you can treat a video projector just like a laser projector -- assigning one or more zones to it, applying geometric correction, beam attenuation maps, safety features, duplicated zone outputs, etc. So in that way, it really allows you to remove a laser projector and put the video projector in its place.

When we added EmuLaser to BEYOND, we did not envision it to be a replacement for the laser show -- rather something that would be done along with real laser projectors, so parts would be done with the video and parts with the laser. By treating it like a laser, we have accomplished that in a way that is simple to understand and simple for clients to control.

Bill

Do you think there would be a market for a video only version of EmuLaser for people who don't want to deal with lasers or variances at all? No laser DAC or special hardware required. Just a video projector and computer with HDMI out, Windows or Mac. hmmm...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i do think this is a great idea. i applaud anything that makes laser shows safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    One of the biggest problems with "just preview" is the thickness of the line that is drawn. For preview applications it's normally only a single pixel. Even when using OpenGL or DirectX, the line thickness is normally only set to 1.5 pixels (averaging to around 1 pixel with anti-aliasing). So this will make a very dim projected display. EmuLaser uses a different kind of line drawing algorithm to enhance brightness. Other non-uniform and non-linear techniques are also used. The result is a pretty bright display that really looks like a laser. (By the way, Aaron had a version of software around six months old -- our newer version is even better and more flexible.)

The biggest difference between our EmuLaser and anything that we had done in the past (and I think others too) is that you can treat a video projector just like a laser projector -- assigning one or more zones to it, applying geometric correction, beam attenuation maps, safety features, duplicated zone outputs, etc. So in that way, it really allows you to remove a laser projector and put the video projector in its place.

When we added EmuLaser to BEYOND, we did not envision it to be a replacement for the laser show -- rather something that would be done along with real laser projectors, so parts would be done with the video and parts with the laser. By treating it like a laser, we have accomplished that in a way that is simple to understand and simple for clients to control.

Bill
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    Do you think there would be a market for a video only version of EmuLaser for people who don't want to deal with lasers or variances at all? No laser DAC or special hardware required. Just a video projector and computer with HDMI out, Windows or Mac. hmmm...
    Actually we have a client who was doing an industrial installation in Tennessee (or similar -- I have a bad memory for geography). The application was pattern projection. What he *sold* the company was a laser projector, and all of the engineers were happy with the result and what it did, but toward the end of the install when it came time to deliver the equipment, someone in the factory wouldn't sign off on it because it's a "laser" (the USA -- where guns are allowed, but lasers are considered "dangerous"...) So our client just installed a video projector and configured BEYOND to use EmuLaser instead. The factory engineers as well as politicians (or whoever was concerned) were all satisfied and the client got his money. So this is a little different from what you had in mind, but ultimately the same thing.

Like I said, the client got his money and everyone in the factory was satisfied except me -- who is wondering, didn't it occur to the guys that they could have just used a damn video projector and some generic PC software in the first place? In any event, I guess even I should be happy because this factory is using BEYOND and so even we got some money out of the deal...

Bill

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Thank you Bill, for the explanation of why BEYOND is different at producing this effect over just any old video playback system. I didn't know how to respond to TechJunkie earlier in the thread, as I really didn't know too much about Emulaser prior to FLEM and why BEYOND is a better option. I didn't know if what he was suggesting would work or not but didn't want to discourage the idea. Hopefully you've educated both of us a little more.

Bill I don't suppose there's any way to make beams brighter is there?

I'm guessing if it was possible you'd have probably tried it, but it seems fans, tunnels, sheets etc (the things that are normally dim are bright and beams which are normally bright, are dim). It's almost as if the emulator is the antithesis of a laser projector.

I find it a little strange that a sheet can be bright but if you take away 99% of that sheet to leave just a beam, it appears so much dimmer.

^nature of the light being used.
    With a projector doing a fan, it is allowing more light from the bulb through "a larger opening".
    With a laser you are spreading the light you already have out.

EDIT: I suppose you could add some gray scaling to the animations that arent beams, to dim them and match the beams.
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar