Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: US Legal Audience Scanning Effect

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Aaron said he tried it with our favorite one for harvesting and said it didn't look bad but, I don't know that it's as contrasty as you would like. Another thing about video... no flicker or magic blue smoke from galvos so, scanner speed is irrelevant!

What I don't have is the actual output on the wall from a graphics standpoint but, it was very good. No divergence of course although, if you stood a couple feet from the screen and looked closely you could see the pixels.

I'll see if I can get my hands on the type of projector that was used in the video. I also have access to 10,000+ lumen projectors, might try them out as well.

Your video is still processing, you're making me late for an appointment! lol

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 11:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE0P8gIfv4M

Ok, here is the video. It was still processing when I added the link so, if it doesn't work yet, give it a couple minutes.

The projector was an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5020UBe Tri-LCD. Generally around $2300-$2500 but Bill's was $1900 off eBay. There are some other models with similar specs closer to $1500 that may be worth investigating.
    Holy crap - that combination awesome!!

So, when is the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5020UBe Tri-LCD group buy?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

So, what are the physical hardware connections required for the projector to work with Beyond?
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    So, what are the physical hardware connections required for the projector to work with Beyond?
    There are no special connections required. You connect the video projector to your video card using a VGA cable (or a DVI cable, or even an HDMI cable if you want) just as you would normally.

Then, in Beyond you select that video display device and assign it to a projection zone as if it was just another controller with a laser projector attached. Boom! You're done.

All the normal settings (geometric correction, beam attenuation map, etc) still work exactly the same. It's just that the output is sent to the video card that the DLP projector is hooked up to, instead of to the QM2000 or FB3 board.

If you already have a video projector and a licensed copy of Beyond, you can set this up at home right now.

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 03-04-2014 at 09:34. Reason: typo

Nice demo of this functionality. Its nice to see a reasonably priced video projector being able to emulate the beams. I know when I tried this ~4-5 years ago using video recordings of shows, the relatively poor contrast ratios on my video projectors significantly diminished the effect. That Epson has a contrast ratio of "up to 320,000:1". Wow!

From a set-up perspective, it would be even more convincing the projector output was physically closer to the laser projector. Some nice "seamless" transitions between laser down to the video projector zone would also help convince the audience they were being scanned. In any case, it looks like this has the capability to look better than transitioning to a safety scan lens - especially when using one of the higher power safety scan lenses.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Cool effect - but it doesn't look like laser. I would like to see a clip of the laser and video projecting the same content. Fans, tunnels and waves look nice but single beams are not sharp and bright. When you project a white beam with the laser, most of the projector's power will be in that single beam. With a video projector it's however much light is in a few pixels. I'll reserve judgement until I see it in person, but I'm not too impressed. It's a way to legally scan the audience with laser-like effects without the hassle of the CDRH but it won't replace lasers IMO. If looking into a video projector exceeds the MPE for lasers, isn't it just as dangerous? I once pointed out to the CDRH (BRH at that time) that the sun was WAY over the MPE limits. Their reply was "we're not authorized to regulate the sun".

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Oh, it's definately something that is worth further testing and experimentation with the setup. Now that I saw it it person, I know it's something I want to invest some time pursuing.

^ Keep in mind this was recorded on a cheap video camera and then garbled to hell being uploaded to Youtube. In person, it was pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    I would like to see a clip of the laser and video projecting the same content.
    Agreed. We should have done this at FLEM. If we do another one in May, we will be sure to set it up with identical content and shoot some more video.

Fans, tunnels and waves look nice but single beams are not sharp and bright.
    Yeah. If you listen closely to the people talking in the background on the video, several people say exactly this. Fans look good, but beams look a little lame. Then again, this was only a 2500 lumen projector. I imagine a 6000 or 8000 lumen projector would make a big difference.

If looking into a video projector exceeds the MPE for lasers, isn't it just as dangerous?
    No. Non-coherent light can not be focused to a diffraction-limited spot. Laser light, being both mono-chromatic and spacially coherent, can absolutely be focused to a diffraction-limited spot. That's where the danger lies.

I once pointed out to the CDRH (BRH at that time) that the sun was WAY over the MPE limits. Their reply was "we're not authorized to regulate the sun".
    They don't have any jurisdiction over non-coherent lighting fixtures either, which is why this is so appealing, at least for audience-scanning.

Adam