Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: New scanner EMS-5100. Find the difference and win a set !

Hello to all,

We have a major update for the 5100 :

In order to help those scanners perform better on the very low voltage PS (13.5V) we redesigned the whole motor by scaling it down. This reduced the back EMF considerably, so now the 5110 (their new name) will do 30K@12 deg, or 40K@5deg, coming close to the other ''external amp'' scanners on the market. This performance comes with the standard mirror set, which is a little bigger than usual (6.85mm wide X mirror vs 6mm and 5.3mm Y mirror vs 5mm).

We are still on the testing side but they look really nice. And remember that this is accomplished with a 2x2cm servo inside the scanner that also includes the position sensor (Hamamatsu PSD) and linearization circuitry !

Note to Michael: The PSU is designed to fit between the scanners, filling the empty space. You should end up with a total footprint of around 9x9 cm.

The 5100 (now 5110) are designed with the absolute minimum size in mind. If you want better performance at low cost, our field tested and proven 4000 series will do the job for only 70 Euro more. They support a wide range of mirrors, up to 12x20mm.
    They are -by far- the coolest running galvos on the market with only the 1/6 of the coil resistance of recently introduced ones (0.5 Ohms vs 3 Ohms). This makes them literally indestructible from any abuse, even if done deliberatly. This is proven for more than 10 years and with tens of thousands of units sold.

All the best to all,

Tom Kamaras
    EyeMagic

The simple fact is the is a spectacularly bad test by someone who shouldn't be running tests in the first place. This thread is a complete waste of time.
    That is very unpleasant... I just find time to fire them up and as I said I will test them more seriously later.
    For posting a comment like that it seems that you have more free time than me...

Mickael

Tom,

I haven't ordered a pair of the 5100's and so I am guessing here, but do these ship without documentation? This was true of the 4000's I own and the 8000's I own. There is little documentation. I think it would take very little time for you or one of your technicians to produce a few pages of "general" specifications, not something that will draw criticism, but so that all the available models, mirrors, relative speeds and yes,why not, costs can be compared. You can provide recommended power supply capabilities or minimums, wiring hook up instructions and with the modular mounts you could show how they can be flipped or with the unmounted 4000's a few typical fabricated setups. Of course some tutorials that instructed new users in the proper use would save a lot of wasted time and make your scanners more desirable.

I have not been unhappy with your scanners, but the lack of documentation is frustrating. The 8000 series were shipping before I or probably almost anyone here new they existed. We were still expecting the 7000 series until a purchaser was raving about the new and improved 8000 series, but then he did not know what exactly had changed.

You could post a video on You Tube. You could generate pages that could be accessed through social media. You could provide paper documents to ship with each unit and that download from your website. A serious effort to expand this support would set you well apart from a lot of the competition.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MIIKKKLLLL View Post
    Ground signal is not needed in this setup? (I only see a 2-pin connectors input for scanners signal)
    If your controller is capable of supplying X+/X- and Y+/Y- signals, you are not supposed to connect ground to the scanner signal input. You only use the ground as a signal input if your controller can only output single-ended position data (which is exceedingly rare these days).

With a differential receiver (every scan amp I've ever seen uses one), all you need is the positive and negative lines. In fact, connecting the ground to the input on a differential receiver can actually cause problems (see this article on projector wiring for more info).

In this case, ILDA ground (pin 25) should only be connected to the DC ground on the scanner power supply and to the ground on the power supply for the diode driver.

All that being said, the ILDA test pattern picture looks terrible. I'm hoping it's because the scan angle was just too wide, but until kl79 posts the measurements of the width of the pattern and the distance from the scanners to the wall, we can't be certain.

the circle in the second test frame is strange... I guess that if you change the "blanking delay" from 5 to 3 or 4 in Beyond setup, the result should be improved
    That circle is actually being traced 3 times in a row. So no, blanking delay has nothing to do with it looking like a corkscrew. Rather, it's either due to the scan angle being *way* too wide (which is the most likely cause), or the scanners are under-tuned (less likely), or they are being starved of power (least likely, in my opinion).

Adam