Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First blu ray results in...

Nics pics! they bring up a ton of questions

Do you think that the optics train can be reused to collimate the beam?
    How bright is the red LD in the can? Any chance on a magenta pointer?

I do think the optics will be useful though I would take out the grating that is imediately in front of the VLD. You could mount a red in place of one of the photo diode pickups (there appear to be 2) and do it that way through one of the cubes. The red and violet could run together but only if you had a common cathode supply - traditionally laser diodes are powered direct to the +ve line and the current is controlled down to ground. That said I dont know what thermal issues there would be as the red diode is ontop of the VLD! and the connection to the anode of the diode is fed somehow through the die containing the VLD. this will be clearer when i put up some more pics showing the inside. The vis red LD that is in the can is probably only a few mW mayve 10 tops - haven'e mesured it though I will at some point.

Rob

Pics of the internals of the diode are now available.

Rob

Has anyone else received theirs yet?

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

not yet in a few days i receive this , i'm impatient and i will be make this diode in a pointer but this diode work at 4.4V and i want work at 3V same pointer laser use 2AA or 2AAA and i've a old driver board red pointer it's work with 2 AA or 2AAA and delivery me ~20 at ~40mA and this current it's good for blue ray but not the voltage :'-( HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEE

Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post
    not yet in a few days i receive this , i'm impatient and i will be make this diode in a pointer but this diode work at 4.4V and i want work at 3V same pointer laser use 2AA or 2AAA and i've a old driver board red pointer it's work with 2 AA or 2AAA and delivery me ~20 at ~40mA and this current it's good for blue ray but not the voltage :'-( HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEE
    You can fit a couple of 3.6V AA size lithium batteries. Don't do it though, it's NOT the worst of your problems. The diodes in most pointers have a positive connection to the case, optical disk diodes usually have a negative ground. Also, pointers use a constant power drive, and for this diode you'll probably be better using a constant current drive.

Look for threads about diodes, diode drivers, combining diodes, red diodes, blue diodes... There's a lot of stuff here already to describe it, most of these threads being updated each day, so you won't have to look far.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 03-22-2007 at 05:40.

Very nice pics - cannot wait to get one to mess with ! Who would have thought 2 years ago that they woud be this affordable ? Some guy on Ebay is selling just the optica portion of a blu-ray drive for a mint, piece parted out...not to mention the diode itself !

Yeah thats Chris Leubner (heruursciences) I don't know if he posts here but does lurk and occasionally post on alt.lasers.

Rob

i would like to try this diode with fluorescein dye the 405nm is great to react with this dye ^ ^

Its ideal for such fun
    I have not tried with fluids yet but have managed to get lots of solid objects to glow in the strange purple light

Rob