Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: so this new guy wants a rgb

Welcome to never having money again.
    I'm ordering two more lasers from ABLE as soon as I get to the bank
    Not but good stuff from them.
    But nothing for $1500.
    For that price I would recommend the lasertainment's x750 or x1500 (these are US varianced).
    I have 4 of them and they have never had an issue.
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar

Lightbulb

Hey 'DSOTM' (nice..

Yes, Welcome to PL.. See you are in NY? I live in CA, but we have a NY office / hub, and am up there a few times a year, and we're not to far from ya (Rottenchester ..but I'll chat with ya about that / NYS in yer 'other' thread..

..First, kudos to ya for 'doin it right' (at least, once you 'go commercial'..) and getting Varianced, etc.. This place is a *great* resource, for 'learning the ropes'.. Here's a full-bore in-house 'repository' of all the 'Regs', etc - http://www.photonlexicon.com/wiki/in...dies_in_the_US ..and this One, simple PDF will give you a 'good overview', for now, of the 'whys & wherefores'.. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Medical.../UCM119257.pdf ..and, a more-specific 'overview' of the Regs, here: http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-Emittin.../ucm118907.htm - This bit of 'homework' will give you a good dose of safety-edu, w/O having to swim-thru ALL the regs, etc, for now..

..Second, +1 to what Brad said, for-reasons of 'support' ..X-Laser (USA) has got a pretty well-oiled machine going.. But, yes, *avoid* the Chi-cloners "X-Laser HK" like the back end of a pack-mule after visiting a chili-cookoff.. (..their CRAP STINKS.. ..and are non-compliant, yada yada.. Anyhoo..

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    .....ones not legal for use in the US for public compensated display would be Lightspace..
    ...looking into what might be done about this.. (..unless someone already is.. waiting to hear..) Reason-being, Yes, these guys (Lightspace) also make a very-nice PJ, for the bux..

..Anyhoo, tty over in the 'Albany..' thread..
    ciao
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

i have emailed lasertainment and im waiting for a response. one benefit seems to be that they are from nyc, a short hop, skip, and jump from me. itd be great to actually go down there and meet with someone hopefully. if this is the case, it will be a no brainer where ill get a varianced laser from. (try before i buy? *fingers crossed*) if thats not the case then ill still continue my research (and saving $ for that matter, i mean at this rate, the longer i research the better a laser i can afford, win-win). One question... based on a 1 w laser, what would be the best color balance. i understand that nm is almost as important as mws, and then i get lost in the math looking equations of diversion and aperature (something like the closer those numbers are, the better? mrad definition?). ive been recommended a 637red over others from a few salespeople, and im confused when i notice red being a very low mw while blue is almost 2/3 the power of 1w. i understand green is the easiest to see correct? so a lower mw is better if its balance with blue being second highest and red being highest. sorry if im not making sense, can you tell im confused?
    Last edited by DSOTM1973; 03-10-2014 at 08:41.

Well now that you asked that question there will be multiple responses to that.. Its a personal preference (especially from what I learned when I asked this a while ago)

well guys. i decided to go through ABLE and right now they are cooking up a 3w rgb for me! super excited!

do you already have your variance ? if not you can not legally buy (or i should say take possession of ) a class IV laser system and if able ships it out to you before you have your variance then and they and you are breaking the law

generally a variance takes 30 to 90 days or so to get approved

Well I've been trying to figure out how to go about that but haven't found the information. Or maybe I missed something, could you direct me?

here is info on the regs
    http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...cfm?fr=1040.10

and this is the variance app
    http://www.fda.gov/downloads/aboutfd.../ucm080788.pdf

and here is initial show report that must accompany the variance application
    http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFD.../UCM081634.pdf

and here is the annual report that needs to be submitted end of August
    http://www.fda.gov/downloads/aboutfd.../ucm081603.pdf

DSOTM,

Have you looked into the heightened requirements for LSO within NY? Hope you're good at math and have a good memory.

To legally receive the projector(s) you can submit the variance app and initial show app stating your intent to use ABLE's currently varianced product. That should get you clear of the FDA.

no you are not allowed to ship until you get an approval from the cdrh call woody or dale and ask them that question

think about it this way what happens if the equipment was shipped and the variance was denied for any reason then you are illegally in possession of a class IV laser product

as for NYS thats whole different story if DTSOM intends to use this gear in NYS then yes there is a whole bunch of other stuff that needs to be done but if its for out of state use it can be stored in NY with out registering it but that mean the unit must be disabled is some way while in NYS (time of storage exception) and never tested even in your own shop while in NY

but if you need some help getting your Class B mobile cert and info on registration i can put you in touch with the gentleman who runs a course on NYS code rule 50
    the class is sorta mandatory to even take the test (or intern for a class b op for 1 year)

its relay not that hard to pass if you study the class material and the teacher is great and will work with you till you got it down and can pass a few practice exams
    its a little expensive i want to say $1500-$2000 depending on class size (normally about 3-5) and you may need to wait till a few students sign up or it will cost even more but he will do 1 on 1

John