Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: so this new guy wants a rgb

Good to know, however, I had been reading places that unless I use the projector in public I do not need variance.

According to the letter of the law, Able should not be able to sell you a certified projector until you have obtained your laser light show variance from the CDRH.

You are correct that if you use the projector in the privacy of your own home (and more importantly, no commerce is involved), that you do not need a variance. However, certified laser manufacturers are only supposed to sell projectors to varianced laserists. That being said, it happens all the time that they don't check.

Also, this post only addresses the federal requirements. As VJ AIWAZ mentioned above, there is also New York State law that you need to be mindful of. I'm not qualified to comment on that, so I will defer to VJ AIWAZ, DSLI-jon, and others on that issue.

I've heard good things about Able's projectors, but I've never seen one in person. When you get it, please post pictures here so we can drool over it.

As for getting your variance, take a look at the links VJ AIWAZ posted. That will get you started.

Adam

ok, so after spending awhile reading through those forms, i was just wondering if they were still good, as the forms seemed to expire in 2013. also heres another question, i do not have a buisness or company as of now so is there a way to just variance myself?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I believe the forms should still be fine. I don't think they would kick them back for being on a form that's out dated by a few months. I also think you want to come up with some form of company name it put on it. It could be "DSOTH1973 Lasers" or something like that. They're not going to ask you for a copy of a business license so, you don't have to go through the actual process of starting a business.

"In theory", using a laser projector in the privacy of your own home shouldn't require a variance BUT... and there are several "buts"... since you are spending the money for a varianced laser to begin with... since you live in New York... since it doesn't cost anything to apply... and because 3 watts is a stupid amount of power for someones home use... and since they legally can't sell it to you without it... I'd go ahead and file. The form is reasonably simple to navigate although, some terms/questions you may need a little help in answering and feel free to ask them here. As mentioned, in order to maintain it, you just need to also remember to do an annual report each August.

maybe someone would be kind enough to walk me through as i fill it out. as i already have plenty of questions that i dont want to fill this thread with. maybe a chat line over aim or fb or something. im online now. pm me your s/n

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

PM sent.

15 characters later...