Thread: Easier Cable Runs

Default Easier Cable Runs

So i'm bored and I've been digging through the forum all day.

Ran across some interesting things regarding long cable runs, usb vs cat5 vs ILDA etc...

Then I ran across this thing and wow it would be awesome.
    http://www.icron.com/products/icron-...0-ranger-2204/

I could set one end at my pc and run a single cat5e to the stage where the other end would accept the Cat5e and break it out into 4 USB 2.0 ports. I could have 4 FB3's (or more) on stage as a Hub and just run "short" DB25 jumpers from the FB3's to each projector.

Im all about work smarter not harder, and picking up cables at the end of the night with spilled drinks and "club gunk" or "raver goo" all over them sucks.

Has anyone used this USB extender before? Good ? Bad? Ugly?
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar

This is the Startech extender I've been referring to in all the recent threads about cat5 runs.
    For me, the problem is that they use a proprietary protocol over the cat5, which uses all 8 pins, so there is nothing left (as for normal ethernet) to also carry the estop signal. So straight away you're into 2 cable runs minimum.
    Also, you mention '4 or more' in your post. You might want to investigate whether the device will support adding a further USB hub before commiting to the idea.

These are the ones that Pangolin have tested and specificaly recommend for the job - I think Icron is just an alternative US brand name for the same device
    http://uk.startech.com/Cards-Adapter...0m~USB2004EXT2
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Says it can support up to 16 via the use of extra Hubs.

But still two cable runs minimum would be great.

Just kinda brainstorming. but i was thinking of using the normal 8pin (or whatever the e-stop remote connector is) on the end of a cat5 cable. and pair that cable with the cable for the USB extender with some type of wireloom / tape.
    At the end have the USB extender and some type of breakout box for estops. that way i can estop each box from one button and still only run "one" wire (actualy two attached to eachother)
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar

I was also thinking of using Cat7 since each individual pair is shielded and have higher standards for near end crosstalk
    -dnar

Lightbulb

Cat5-solutions are good, but.. for any 'heavy-duty use', I got sick of replacing them from tears / snags, etc.. (and 'armored' Cat5 / Ethercon is $$$$, when you get into long-runs / multiple 'snakes'.. Sooo..

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...041#post280041 ..bit of a 'pita' on the front-end, but.. tough as nails, and easy / cheap to repair..

..fwi be wort'..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
    I was also thinking of using Cat7 since each individual pair is shielded and have higher standards for near end crosstalk
    either way make sure you get stranded cable, solid will fail pretty quickly from regular use like that...

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    either way make sure you get stranded cable, solid will fail pretty quickly from regular use like that...
    was planning on it. solid core would be too much of a pain to roll up anyways
    -dnar