Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Machinists / Auto CAD people?

Quote Originally Posted by VJ AIWAZ View Post
    you could just do the design in front panel express its easy to use (free software) and it gives you a price of the part

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/
    Thats awesome! ill have to download that when i get back to land and try it out. i cant even download 7mb out here
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar

Quote Originally Posted by Bbe View Post
    front panel for one powercon

Attachment 42519

I have one more question - have you tested your startech device at least with 1 or 4 FB3's?
    I have not, but i have talked to people that have tested with 4 on it without issues. A friend of mine said he has also ran 7 FB3's off of one HUB. Ill try the hub and see if it works. if not ill just use another extender.

I really dont see it being too much of an issue bandwith wise. But more of a processor load issue. I think an i7 with 16 gig of ram and an SSD should cure that :P
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar

you know now that i think about it.
    I might want to add some type of USB header/splitter to the case. that way i can use the box local to the computer via just USB if i dont have to make a long cable run.
    -dnar

I think you need to specify the final requirements/dimensions for the front panel. Perhaps the best solution for you - the modify standard 19" 2U rackmount housing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	powercon2.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	42522

I think you need to specify the final requirements/dimensions for the front panel. Perhaps the best solution for you - the modify standard 19" 2U rackmount housing.

WOW how did you make that? that looks awesome! How wide is that panel? Id prefer not to modify something and have this completely built to be as small as possible
    -dnar

Depending on how much this would cost to make... instead of adding another ethercon port for future upgrades. i could just make 1 box that houses 4 FB3's then make another box with another extender for the other 4 (when I buy them)
    -dnar

subject to the size that would be easy to machine from ally
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    subject to the size that would be easy to machine from ally
    do you think i should go for two boxes? or try to put it all in one box? all i would have to do is add a second ethercon port... but it would really mess up the layout haha it looks clean the way it is now..
    -dnar

also. just tossing ideas out..

Say i want to use this box localy at my pc, without having to hook up the ethernet.

has anyone heard of any kind of switching device or splitter for USB? so i could divert all the fb3's to another hub that terminates to a usb header on the front panel?

this way i could choose Ethernet or local usb..
    -dnar

Ok.. made my mind up.

Can you move the PowerCon to the back panel of the box, and put another EtherCon in its place.

Lets also add two EtherCon ports to the back panel as well as one of those square female usb 2.0 ports.

You're awesome by the way.
    -dnar