Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Machinists / Auto CAD people?

Default Any Machinists / Auto CAD people?

Like the titles suggests.

I have a design idea that could simplify alot for US as a laser community.

I just have no auto CAD experience and need someone to help me draw this thing up and get it machined
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar

yep to both .
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Attachment 42496

Rough Sketch of the front panel for a FOH breakout box that would house, 7 FB3's, Enttec DMX usb Pro, Starttech USB2004EXT2 Usb over Ethernet range extender, 5 port powered usb 2.0 hub.

Would use a Shielded cat6e or Cat7 ethercon cable to make the run from control desk to the breakout box on stage.
    Startech claims the extender can support 14 devices with use of a powered usb hub over 330'

I know this would make my life WAY easier. one long cable, 8-9 short cables to projectors and fogger/hazer.
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar

Sketch of the inside

Attachment 42502
    -dnar

Have you tested this setup before you go ahead with manufacturing the shell for it?

I have the startech extender and was under the impression it struggles with more than 4 FB3S...
    I've only got 3 to test it with but have had no problems with it so far... 7 and some other gumpf may be pushing the bandwidth of USB2???

While I'm sure it'll run 14 devices as specified, my understanding was that FB3-QS uses a lot more bandwidth over the USB connection than say a mouse/keyboard/printer or whatever...
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

ugh just typed lengthy response and net crashed.

No i have not tested it.
    I dont have 7 FB3's, just building it for future upgrades.
    If i have issues i guess ill have no choice but to run more ILDA cable
    OR
    put two extenders and just run a pair of Ethernet cables. (more expensive but would give me the exact amount (8) of ports i need)
    -dnar

Making a sheet metal sweep or 3d model for milling - it task for 15 minutes, but I agree with what 7x FB3 will not work correctly with LAN/USB extender and even more so with USB hub. This solution requires a separate server side USB controller without software USB port emulation on the client side.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbe View Post
    Making a sheet metal sweep or 3d model for milling - it task for 15 minutes, but I agree with what 7x FB3 will not work correctly with LAN/USB extender and even more so with USB hub. This solution requires a separate server side USB controller without software USB port emulation on the client side.
    If that's the case ill just add another EtherCon port to the front of the box. that way i can add another extender when i get more than 4 FB3's
    -dnar

you could just do the design in front panel express its easy to use (free software) and it gives you a price of the part

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

front panel for one powercon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	powercon.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	42519

I have one more question - have you tested your startech device at least with 1 or 4 FB3's?