Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New RGB module for single modes

Default New RGB module for single modes

I have been working on a module kit for the DTR single mode diode bundle. The initial goals were to keep the price low, module small and the alignment stable. To meet these goals I decided the simpler the better. Keeping with that theme, I removed the standard x/y mirror mounts. I replaced them with rigid mounts instead. The x/y alignment is done from the diode. The plate that holds the diode can be moved up/down and left/right. This allows for enough movement to get perfect beam overlap. The benefits are less moving parts to go out of alignment and less parts to be machined. Because the diode plates are "flat on flat" it is very stable. The most likely place to loose alignment is the lens holder. This can be glued after the final alignment is done. The downside... it's a little harder to align. Not really hard once you get the hang of it though.

I will be listing these in the for sale section soon for those that are interested. I posted this here for discussion and to show how it can be done economically. Also, I am very happy with the way the clamping diode plate came out. I was a big fan of press in mounts but always wanted to be able to change diodes more easily. Even though its a PITA to machine, I will be using this design on all my builds coming up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02654.JPG 
Views:	256 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	40630

Name:	DSC02660.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	790.6 KB 
ID:	40631

Name:	DSC02632.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	40632
    http://s161.photobucket.com/user/log...%20RGB%20MOUNT
    Here are some more pics on photobuket

Hi Logsquared, do you have any progress on these modules? I would love to build myself a small RGB to sit on a shelf for quick show testing and something like this would be ideal to use.

They have been in testing for the last few weeks to test the stability. They work very well. I have 2 changes to make before listing them for sale. The first is a slightly different slot arrangement on the top to make better access to the lens holders. The second will be the addition of mounting feet on the ends. The through holes in the middle was an attempt to make stacking units easier and to allow for left or right mounting. Due to the soft nature of the 6061 aluminum alloy over-tightening of the mounting screws can throw off alignment slightly over time. This will be solved with mounting feet on the ends where over tightening cant put stress on the main body of the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by logsquared View Post
    Due to the soft nature of the 6061 aluminum alloy over-tightening of the mounting screws can throw off alignment slightly over time. This will be solved with mounting feet on the ends where over tightening cant put stress on the main body of the unit.
    Probably a novice suggestion, but why not make them out of Brass or steel?
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Probably a novice suggestion, but why not make them out of Brass or steel?
    Brass is an option but its several times the price of aluminum. Steel doesn't have the thermal conductivity needed. Actually, the aluminum works well, I just shouldn't have chosen to put the holes where I did.

Thanks for the explanation
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Looking forward to seeing this. Very interested in one.

Cheers
    Rich

Nice. I would like to see just how small we can push projector design...Do I smell the crispy bacon smell of a build-off?

Who makes the smallest scan set these days? Mmm, who was that guy that had DIY scanners on his page back when I didn't know how to spell Lazor....
    This space for rent.

Very nice. Can't wait to see the final product.

Pangolins new 506s or whatever they are called are pretty small
    leading in trailing technology