Thread: Power crisis

Default Power crisis

Heya ,
    Having just been thru the summer I have just installed extra capacity to drive the peltiers.
    I now have a individual 8 amp supply for the red and blue. Each is switched individually by its own relay.
    Stanwaxs ilda board completes the 24 volt dc circuit that switches the relays on.
    I used 24 volt to switch the relays so I didn't have to run the mains thru the low voltage side of the projector. I quess that old audio Habits .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	42497
    With a bit of luck that's the power system sorted.

I like how you used industrial din rail mounted fuse holders, relays, circuit breaker and terminal blocks. Very clean build, like a control panel!
    Can you tell us more about the red and blue modules that each have an 8 Amp power supply ?
    Also, is that aluminum the galvo drivers are mounted to doubling as a heat sink, or is it there strictly for mounting ?

-Jason

Hi Jason ,
    I am running Edison's red and blue modules( 500 mw red & 1.6 watt blue).
    While the drive current for the diodes is low , the pair of peltiers in each module require 2.5 amps each.
    I was running both diodes off one power supply . This was fine during winter, however during summer I started having problems. Thanks for your complements. I have got most of the din rail gear from old panels at work.
    The aluminium for the scanners is a heat sink. Once again harvested from work.
    I will try and get a picture of them up after work.
    Dan

To give a little more info on the subject, The red is a single mode 637/500mw red and the blue is a 1.6 watt/450nm both about 0.6mrd full angle. In mid summer the 8 amps powersupply isn,t enough to deliver the red, blue driving current and both the peltiers so daction and i decided that it was better to install a second PSU to have a little more "juice". His goal was to have a good quallity graphics projector with high brightness.

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Yes well thanks for that Edison. As I was starting out on this build I was here on PL reading about everyones experience with the diodes as they came out.
    I could see that developing a working system for me was going to be a major under taking. I have had a few laser world lasers in my time, so I had an idea with what would be involved if I got it wrong.
    After talking to Edison ,I thought that if I spent the money on some quality modules I will be able to spent my time working on the rest of the machine.
    Reusing parts from work has kept the cost down so it sort of makes up for the cost the modules. At the end of the day I just wanted to have a safe , reliable & pretty laser.
    I am not there yet but I will just keep on chipping away at it.

Quote Originally Posted by daction View Post
    At the end of the day I just wanted to have a safe , reliable & pretty laser.
    I am not there yet but I will just keep on chipping away at it.
    That's why a lot of us are here and doing exactly that! Cheers & have fun! And, as added bonuses #1- Building is half the fun, and, #2, If it breaks, you'll know how to fix it, because you built it!
    -PS- I like your layout.. the DIN rail stuff looks industrial and cool

I love the use of the din rail. I know there are a few other builds here with them but not like yours. I hope that we see more builds with them in the future.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.