Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any software and/or hardware guys out there?

Yes, I'm interested, too...
    I'm currently working on a plugin (using python) for Blender3D (http://www.blender3d.org) to render 3D scenes & animations to ILDA files...
    Currently only convex objects will be rendered correctly, we have to change the hidden line algorithm in the next version...

Also I've started coding a small app this weekend to convert different vector graphic formats to ILDA files... (This app will get a plugin system for file formats, so different file formats can be added easily, also my aim is platform independance, at least linux & windows should be supported)
    This is in delphi / freepascal (lazarus).

@Zoof:
    Did you implement a sort algorithm for the point order in you SVG import?
    Or do you rely on the order of the SVG objects?

Thomas

I have seen BILDA but not LUMAX. Do you have a link to LUMAX?

So is the software for converting image files to ILDA files?
    That would be handy.

Jim

3D to ILDA will be nice to have! Does your software also support 3D to svg? IMHO the .svg format will be a nice intermediate format before converting to ILDA. Once it's ILDA its less versatile.

At this time it does not have a path sorting algorithm but I have looked at it. The sorting problem has great similarity to the 'traveling salesman problem ' which is a classic problem in AI for which the optimal solution is very computational intensive. Lucky for us a very good approximation is 'next neigbour' which might take 5 lines of code

The only difference is that paths usually ends at some other point than it begins and then 'next neighbour' will be less effective. Maybe a solution would be to look for " neighbour with closest end point' or so.

For now I rely on human intelligence and format the paths in inkscape such that the order of the paths and the begin- / endpoints are designed sensibly. Inkscape gives the user a lot of control over this

I don't want to "steal Zoof's thunder", but here's the 'commercial' Lumax DAC interface:

http://www.lumax.de/

And instructions, schematics, and a board layout to build your own:

http://www.lumax.de/eigenbau/index.html

I hope you speak German

I am debating building this DAC (it already works with Mamba Black and HE-Laserscan). It has 12-bit X and Y, 8-bit RGB, a built-in frame buffer, and DMX.

Question

Will that DAC work with LDS?

LUMAX looks nice. Definitely better than BILDA. But there is no way I am going to attempt to wire that thing up like in their picture. Maybe if they sold a board and had an english website.

Hey where did my thunder gooooooo..... Who took it ?!!

Thanks for those links, All the info for making a PCB is there. Certainly would not attempt to wire it like they did in their prototype, with one color wire
    I think the price for the commercial version is in the range of easylase. Just noticed that this one does not need an external power supply, nice!
    Last edited by Zoof; 03-20-2007 at 23:11.

@Zoof:
    yes the software does also export to svg / pdf / swf...
    But currently it simply draws planes with Z-ordering, so it's of no use for laser rendering... This is why we (the original creator of the script, Antonio from italy, and me) are currently planning to implement another algorithm for the hidden line/plane problem... BTW: here's Antonio's site with the actual script from him (without my modifications, like render specific options, a changed GUI, the ILDA export, etc...): http://shell.studenti.unina.it/~ospite/vrm/
    I've implemented the "next neighbour" algorithm but this isn't the best approach, I will sooner or later implement the CPP algorithm with some modifications...

@allthatwhichis:
    as far as I know the lumax doesn't work with LDS...

Thomas

For point rendering maybe we can use tsplib to sort between the blanking and use a windy rural postman algorithm to handle connected line segments so the path is still elegant for those without blanking.