Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stanwax Laser Safety Goggles?

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that the 2.8W of my laser is reduced to somewhere less than 100mw.
    For the sake of curiosity, I've just took my 2.8W beamer and tested through those goggles... Got hardly triggered LPM (it triggers from 0.1mW). the most it said was 2.1mW, but most of the times it hasn't triggered at all. I'm not saying this accurate, since it's a hobby LPM, but just to get rough estimates, Stanwax goggles truly has 3-4 OD.

TechJunkie, I agree and disagree with you at the same time. I've been working with fs pulsed lasers and was trained to idea that if I can see the laser radiation I can throw my goggles away for they are no help. And if I can't see the radiation, then I ought to be simply just "very careful". However in this hobby we must see the beam which is usually a combination from 3 different wavelengths, so visualizers can't help much. We can't be safe and comfortable here.
    I still do not trust equipment which lets particular radiation through, certified or not. Stanwax goggles is no exception, it's just the tool which makes life easier while aligning beams or checking beam profile in the far field.

Quote Originally Posted by zorn View Post
    thanks again buffo.

i dont think you should use that wording, that confuses people. this is like saying getting shot in the leg is 'safer' than in the chest. both arent safe so one cant be 'safer' than the other.
    Technically not true, risk increases with irradiance so the less the better. Obviously the aim should be to never be exposed to more than MPE.

That's why when aligning I put goggles on and then turn the beams down until they are just visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post
    For the sake of curiosity, I've just took my 2.8W beamer and tested through those goggles... Got hardly triggered LPM (it triggers from 0.1mW). the most it said was 2.1mW, but most of the times it hasn't triggered at all. I'm not saying this accurate, since it's a hobby LPM, but just to get rough estimates, Stanwax goggles truly has 3-4 OD.
    That is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post
    I highly respect you guys, but opinions and eye safety dont mix. Certification is the only thing you can trust. There is no one on the planet that can judge laser power by eye.
    I agree entirely but equally there are some things that cannot be done if you exclude light entirely. Sometimes you need goggles that allow some light through and need to adjust down the laser power to the point at which the light is just visible to compensate. There is a certain assumption of risk in that and always will be, although my glasses are never relied on for safety, they're always a fall back to reduce exposure should other methods fail.

I believe the Laserwave goggles do have an OD rating. Whether or not it can be trusted appears to be in some dispute in this thread.
    Last edited by White-Light; 03-27-2014 at 02:35.

perhaps we could put our power meters, safety glasses and easily adjusted 3 axis mounts to one side. For me personally , looking back the most dangerous exposure I have had with lasers is when I just got started. All I knew was what kiwi tinker told me. Non adjustable optic mounts. Those real cool L brackets for the lasers. When I got my first rgb laser I was staring into the box for 20 hours. I had to have a good tune you see. The biggest problem was using chromium tools . phosphorus coated tools are black and won't reflect the light into your eyes. I didn't have them. Now I just dial it up because I have 3 axis mounts (from china and awesome to me). If you wanna be safe for sure remove the hazard. Don't own a laser. If you wanna isolate the hazard buy a laser with a variance . If you wanna reduce the hazard read up its all here in the forums. If your not sure stop and ask.

Goggles rated for OD3 at a given wavelength will take a 5W laser down to 5mW. That's safe for a direct hit, but the chances of that ever happening are extremely small IF the user is not simply stupid (considering all the laser safety warnings). The most important point of laser safety is to control the beam path. Don't ever let anyone control your laser or put anything into the beam! Never hand your laser pointer to anyone. That said, OD2 or OD3 goggles are a good choice for working with VISIBLE light when it must be at high power for the task.